Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2016, 08:13   #1

Dufour In Mast Furling Mainsail-Conversion To Batten Mainsail

Hi all

As i'm searching for my first boat (mind blowing choice) i've found (i guess) a interesting Dufour 405, but with in mast furling mainsail...

Someone has never tryied one?
Wich brand is it?

As far as i know and after have visited about 10 boat with furling mainsail, the only who went "quite good" was on a 2011 dufour 375, just to try to unfurl it 10 inch and furl it back...It did bends, hard to both get it out and inside...

Any idea for the price of convert it to a full batten mainsail?
What about the big aperture on the must, from under the boom to the top?...For sure it's very bad have a circle all cutted alongside...

Easier to dismast?

Any opinion welcome

Thanks
Stefano
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:39   #2

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
Re: Dufour In Mast Furling Mainsail-Conversion To Batten Mainsail

I don't have any problem of using furling main. It is not my first choice. With the proper maintenance with proper procedure to operate it, it is perfectly fine. You see so many of them now, because it has been well proven and easy to use. Buying a boat is so personal, it is worst than finding an ideal woman.

If you don't like it, don't buy one. It makes no sense to spend time and money to change the system over. Finding out what you like and willing to compromise is half of the fun in sailing.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I don't have any problem of using furling main. It is not my first choice. With the proper maintenance with proper procedure to operate it, it is perfectly fine. You see so many of them now, because it has been well proven and easy to use. Buying a boat is so personal, it is worst than finding an ideal woman.

If you don't like it, don't buy one. It makes no sense to spend time and money to change the system over. Finding out what you like and willing to compromise is half of the fun in sailing.
Mh...

For example? Wich procedures?
Be sure that the boom is 90 degree straight otherwise bend?

Well, in theori i like the boat, (still waiting answer from the broker) as far as i know the only cons of the boat is the furling mainsails, that's means that i can rid of it....

In theory it would be the easier system for singlehandling /couple...If i doesn't block... Ok less performance...
Old 04-03-2016, 08:29   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Unfurling a main sail is easy.

Release vang and topping lift tension. Bring the boat to beam reach on the side opposite to the furling direction. (helps pull the sail from inside the groove)

For furling in, apply tension to the outhaul and go slightly upwind keeping in mind the direction of the furl.. and bring in the sail. Keep the tension until fully furled.. not too tight.

Ensure all components are cleaned and well lubricated... works very well.

Changing to hanked on will cost you for the hardware and a new sail!!!

If you are not already in the buy phase, look at Hanse... most have hanked on mains with battens.

Where are you in Italy? PM if you want.

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 13:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Unfurling a main sail is easy.

Release vang and topping lift tension. Bring the boat to beam reach on the side opposite to the furling direction. (helps pull the sail from inside the groove)

For furling in, apply tension to the outhaul and go slightly upwind keeping in mind the direction of the furl.. and bring in the sail. Keep the tension until fully furled.. not too tight.

Ensure all components are cleaned and well lubricated... works very well.

Changing to hanked on will cost you for the hardware and a new sail!!!

If you are not already in the buy phase, look at Hanse... most have hanked on mains with battens.

Where are you in Italy? PM if you want.

GL
Thanks
It was a trial just to try if it worked at mooring, no wind....i forgot relase the vang..just tried relasing the bottom line and pulling the line to unfurl it...a bit on both side at the end i get it out quite easly (with hand, no winch needed)...

Hanse yes, i'm looking at 2 hanse 400, both with ordinary batten mainsails?

What does it mean HANKED? I can't understand it in englishMeans rollers on every battens on the mainsail?

PM for you

Tags
Dufour, furling, mainsail, mast, sail