Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2010, 11:28   #1

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC
Dufour 40 Bareboat Charter

I will be doing a 9 day bareboat in St Martin (two couples) and have negotiated a good price on an '05 Dufour 40. I have never sailed one, but it looks like a nice boat. Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with the Dufour 40 and can comment on the quality, performance, build, etc. Are there any known issues I should be aware of?

Thanks
Jerry
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 07:13   #2

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC
No one knows anything about the Dufour 40?
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 05:58   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42
Charter

Well i did spend a couple of weeks in the Islands on a GibSea 44 which if i recall correctly is a Dufor. Apart from everything being in French it was a great cruising boat. Stable, easy to handle, comfortable etc. I personally find these production boats to be all very similar for that charter style business so as it sounds like you know what you are doing the boat will be so close to others in the charter fleet you won't have any problems.
ChrisClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 15:03   #4

Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
I will be doing a 9 day bareboat in St Martin (two couples) and have negotiated a good price on an '05 Dufour 40. I have never sailed one, but it looks like a nice boat. Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with the Dufour 40 and can comment on the quality, performance, build, etc. Are there any known issues I should be aware of?

Thanks
Jerry
I believe this a model that was only sold to charter fleets. It seems similar to the Dufour 40E. Many French builders of saiboats are suffering from some serious financial problems lately, but I believe the that Dufour site is still up where the basic details should be available. I doubt there are too many people in the US that have owned one of these for any significant period of time. So you probably aren't going to find a useful 'review'.

rb
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 15:51   #5

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
I delivered a Dufour to the Newport Boat show several years ago. Not the greatest of quality, deck is attached with adhesive and self tapping screws. It is quick, both motoring and sailing. Handles well in protected waters, and sails well in light air. It was nice to sail, but I wouldn't own one.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 09:10   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I think what people are saying is this:

It's a typical production boat. You are on a charter. Pay attention to the boat briefing, make sure you know where all of the thru hulls are, and go on vacation. "Don't worry, be happy."
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 13:02   #7

Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33
Never Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Post View Post
I believe this a model that was only sold to charter fleets. It seems similar to the Dufour 40E. Many French builders of saiboats are suffering from some serious financial problems lately, but I believe the that Dufour site is still up where the basic details should be available. I doubt there are too many people in the US that have owned one of these for any significant period of time. So you probably aren't going to find a useful 'review'.

rb
All my French friends have told me the french yacht builders are doing just fine considering the general state of the global economy. Layoffs, unfortunately , yes. But, in this case, Beneatau, (owner of Dufour) plans on being around for years to come. And the USA division seems to be hanging in there also.

rb
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, Dufour, morgan