Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 08:49   #16
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Dual Helms

Duals make it easier to steer from the rail to keep eye on the sea, or conversely to view the shape of the tells and the sail. Agree that a fat wheel can do the same but it takes up a huge amount of cockpit space and I think becomes a safety issue when moving too and fro in the cockpit area especially in a hurry - see Bennie First 35 for an example.

Second forward wheel in a cruising boat doesn't make sense to me unless its a pilot house design, and then you have a whole bunch of other issues we could go into here. But if you want forward control for little investment, buy an autopilot remote.

Offset companionways (in cockpit) were the thinking I believe of maximizing space in the design and making for some easier storage and maintenance. Unfortunately it is rated lower because of down flooding in a knockdown - whether really proven true or not. I'm more concerned about companionways that have a full opening right down to the floor of the cockpit than I am about offsets.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:37   #17

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Duals make it easier to steer from the rail to keep eye on the sea, or conversely to view the shape of the tells and the sail. Agree that a fat wheel can do the same but it takes up a huge amount of cockpit space and I think becomes a safety issue when moving too and fro in the cockpit area especially in a hurry - see Bennie First 35 for an example.

Second forward wheel in a cruising boat doesn't make sense to me unless its a pilot house design, and then you have a whole bunch of other issues we could go into here. But if you want forward control for little investment, buy an autopilot remote.

Offset companionways (in cockpit) were the thinking I believe of maximizing space in the design and making for some easier storage and maintenance. Unfortunately it is rated lower because of down flooding in a knockdown - whether really proven true or not. I'm more concerned about companionways that have a full opening right down to the floor of the cockpit than I am about offsets.

I could not agree more.
If you're cruising then in the real world you'll be on auto - or vane - when underway.
When you want to SAIL you'll want to sit to windward and admire your sail trim and the boat.
And when anchored and you want to go over the back end for a swim, or moored med style and want to get back aboard with the shopping, you'll not appreciate a single big wheel.
IMHO that sums up why they build twin smaller wheels.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 03-11-2011, 11:20   #18

All good points. It begs the question: Why havent sailboats progressed to small wheels with powerful steering systems? Dual wheels, huge wheels are great ego phallic systems I guess. If they work so well I'm surprised my car doesnt have a 42" leather bound steering wheel! Ice age componants like cable, pulleys and clamps... arghhh! Whats more reliable than a car style steering gear box? As a coincidence.... I've read I think three articles/postings recently mentioning broken steering cable problems. How about a 16" leather wheel with a comfy padded (heated?) gimballed seat on each quarter?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:24   #19

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I find a large wheel pleasant and less strenuous on a sailboat. The Whitlock Cobra system doesn't have all the cables etc. Nothing worse than a small wheel and a hydraulic system.
Old 03-11-2011, 16:59   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
As I scan the boat ads in magazines, all those beautiful new boats have dual wheels at the aft end of the boat. Who needs it? Are the manufacturers trying to emmulate flat out racing boats to get buyers interested or what? If I had two helms, I would definitely want one of them up near the companionway under the dodger. Who wants to ride back there in the spray and cold? Am I nuts?
Well, sort of depends.

You look at the newish Moody DS and you imagine what you would see if the station was one and central.

Near the companionway they need nothing as they have autopilot control at navstation down below - exactly where most of the owners (sic)! spend most of their time on a passage. And then they will say they have not seen any whales and feel offended when I say we had plenty.

Nobody wants to sit there in rain/fog and spray: neither you nor them. Them especially not. But we all have to dock our ships at time.

PS as pointed out to me by an Oyster dealer - the port station is fake.

;-)
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 17:08   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Nothing worse than a small wheel and a hydraulic system.
Amen! I'm a big-wheel guy myself. The other guy's boat may have cost three times as much as mine, but if my wheel is bigger, I win.
Old 03-11-2011, 17:25   #22

See,,,, that's it...... all the guys are trained that "bigger is better"!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote