Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-02-2013, 08:57   #1

Dreadnought 32-Looking for Information

I have recently acquired a project Dreadnought 32 cutter rigged sloop. I am looking for information on the standing rig. It came with the mast/boom and all of the standing rig, but when the prior owner acquired it, the bowsprit and boomkin were missing. He had started to construct new pieces, but I am not sure they are dimensioned correctly. I am looking for dimensions on both and also the standing rig if possible, to confirm that what I have is correct. Also, can anyone tell me where the HIN is located? It is not in the normal location on the starboard stern quarter. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Dreadnought 32-Looking for Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD00 View Post
I have recently acquired a project Dreadnought 32 cutter rigged sloop. I am looking for information on the standing rig. It came with the mast/boom and all of the standing rig, but when the prior owner acquired it, the bowsprit and boomkin were missing. He had started to construct new pieces, but I am not sure they are dimensioned correctly. I am looking for dimensions on both and also the standing rig if possible, to confirm that what I have is correct. Also, can anyone tell me where the HIN is located? It is not in the normal location on the starboard stern quarter. Thanks in advance for your help.
What year was the boat built,if before 73(?) maybe there is no number..good luck.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:32   #3

She is documented with the USCG and is listed as built in 1976. I have a listed hull number on the Certificate of Documentation, but cannot find it on the boat.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:54   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I imagine you've go this, but in case you dont, here are the sail specs: DREADNOUGHT 32 Sailboat SailPlan Data and Sail Quoting System Maybe that would help. I think those boats were origianlly a Hanna Design, but updated by Crealock. You might try contacting him.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:12   #5

Thanks. I have been to that site. Do you know of a contact for Crealock?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:35   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Upon further investigation, apparently he has passed on. I will say this, the exact length of the bowsprit etc isnt super critical. Keep in mind whenever you adjust or reef your sails the boat balance changes anyway. So if you are off by a few inches it's no big thing. I have installed bowsprits on 2 boats about the size of yours, neither of which were designed to have them. The effect was minimal, but there was some. Hopefully you can track down a drawing of the dreadnaught to scale from....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:50   #7

Sorry to hear that. It would have been very interesting to have discussed the Dreadnought with him. I was actually thinking that scaling off a drawing or picture would probably be my last resort. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:33   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Some boats were constructed with the hull number embossed on the inside of the transom which is covered up by either gear pilled up in a lazarette or with cockpit construction. It might also be that over the years some paint or some dirt has inhibited the visibility of the numbers.
Good luck in finding the numbers.
kind regards,
Old 03-05-2013, 07:14   #9

Boat: Dreadnought, Cutter, 32'

Hi fellow "Dread Heads" ...I just joined the Forum and I just bought a 1978 'D32' as of a week ago... It is a 1978.. according to what I have determined so far... there was no consistency in ballast material, coring, etc. Is there anyway to find out the specs used when building my boat?
Thanks
Old 23-05-2013, 19:42   #10

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Doc-

There have been some lively discussions about ballast in the Dread 32 in different forums. I do not have one, and have not yet owned one, but the bottom line seems to be that most, if not all, had steel punchings with resin in the keel. There may be some with lead, but this is unconfirmed. The advantage of the latter would presumably be a reduction in a tendency to hobby horse in some conditions. As one original owner has stated, 'the one thing that is for certain is they are all different.' Interestingly, I have not come across any reports of ballast/keel problems, which, given the age of the hulls seems to speak well of the construction and method.

As an aside, it seems that the vast majority of Dreads were owner completed (after being purchased at various stages of completion at the yard in Carpenteria, California), with some (no idea how many) being either finished by the yard to order or sold as hulls to a person in the San Diego area who would finish them either on spec or per an order.

At one point I made a stab at collecting what information I could about the 80 or so Dread hulls that had been created, including name, present condition (even if wrecked), hull number, rigging, location, owner (only if if willing and with permission). If you, or any owner or other knowledgeable person would like to send me such information, I will make what I have available to you as contributor. My email address for this purpose is baherne@socal.rr.com.

Fair winds.

Brian Aherne
Old 24-05-2013, 00:14   #11

Doc-

Re my post of a few hours ago -which is not up yet: I just realized that some of the information I remember about the Dreadnought 32 came from Cruisers Forum, and is undoubtedly more accurate in the original post (if it is accurate at all) than when filtered through my memory. Do a search.

-Brian Aherne
Old 24-05-2013, 06:03   #12

Hi Buzzstar,

Thanks for the post.... here is what I know so far... as we know the hull was built in Carpenteria and my USCG documentation says it was completed in Santa Barbara.... I have the USCG papers ... but cannot tell how to determine the Hull #... I suspect it was owner completed... they did a very professional job on it... I had a cabinet maker look at it and he commented the joinery is VERY good! no visible flaws, nothing loose, no joinery needs repaired (hatch cover and one port hole needs attention, as does the brightwork topsides)... it has the feel of a very comfortable, well broken in, well taken care of, pair of high quality boots. She has a sloop rig. The boat is moored in Newport Oregon.

So how do I determine the hull # ... any idea how to find the original owner?

Doc
Old 29-05-2013, 00:22   #13

Doc-

If she is/was named Distant Star, I believe this is the ID information: DRD000341173. I thought your vessel was a 1978, but based upon what I can figure out this hull number is for a 1973,hull #34, or maybe I have it bass ackward and it is hull number 73 (which might be a close fit to a 1978 built vessel). I also wonder if, somewhere along the line the "8" may have been misread as a "3." Sorry, I cannot help you with the "where to find the hull number" question. I've never owned a Dreadnought.
Old 29-05-2013, 01:42   #14

Hi Buzzstar,

You logic in both cases sounds reasonable.

She was probably finished off at home ... so it is possible she is a '73 hull... with a completion date of '78... but quien sabe?

I will look for the hull number to make sure there was no mis-reading taking place.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Doc
Old 21-02-2014, 11:21   #15

Boat: Dreadnought 32

I am the 3rd (or perhaps 4th) owner of DISTANT STAR. I gave her her name and first Documented her. Spent 6 years living aboard and $60K upgrading her. I also met the 1st owner (who would be in his 90s today, if still living). He built her from a bare hull. He used cut down railroad rails as ballast, then filled all in with epoxy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: