Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2009, 05:06   #16

Pretty sure that the 5' draft they refer to is "over the sills" which are the concrete foundations at the entrance and exit to the locks. I am not aware that they make any guarantees about draft elsewhere. The weeds are definitely a problem as are the masses of uninformed loons racing about on the lakes with no knowledge of or regard for the rules of the road.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 08:31   #17

Wow, thanks everyone! Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but I spent 11 hours yesterday beating against 3-5 foot georgian bay slop (steep waves, short intervals) trying to get southeast against a 15-20 knot southeast wind in pouring rain. Fun, but exhausting!

First off, let me just say I really appreciate everyone's input. The technical discussion is fascinating and the answer gives me some level of comfort. Also, I took no offense at anything Gord or anyone else said. I'm new at this and appreciate people's help in learning all I can.

Regarding the canal, they claim that the max draft possible is 6 feet, but that they guarantee 5 feet throughout the entirety of the system. I'm not sure why they have two numbers, but they do. Thanks for the heads up on weeds, I have heard they are a pain but I have my mask, snorkel and a knife. Hopfully my keel/rudder/prop design will give me some measure of protection from the weeds.
Thanks again!
Blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 09:09   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Excerpted from Parks Canada’s Trent-Severn Waterway webpage:
Parks Canada - BEFORE YOU CAST OFF

WATER DEPTHS

Water depths on the Trent-Severn Waterway are not guaranteed, so boaters must know their vessel dimensions and actual draught before planning a trip. Operators should also be aware that the draught of their vessel, when fully loaded and under power, in varied weather conditions and in fresh (vs. salt) water, may differ considerably from its advertised draught.

Under normal conditions, there is approximately 2.4 m (8') of water in the navigation channel from Lock #1 in Trenton to Lock #19 in Peterborough. Water depth in the navigation channel from above Lock #19 to Lock #45 in Port Severn, approximates 1.8 m (6').

Please note, however, that in a few places between Lock #19 and Lock #45, navigation channel water depth may be less than 1.8 m (6'). The operator of any vessel drawing 1.5 m (5') or more, who is considering navigating the Waterway, should call 1-888-773-8888.

Water depth in a secondary navigation channel from Sturgeon Lake to Port Perry approximates 1.22 m (4'). Water depth in the Murray Canal, under normal conditions, is 2.7 m (9').

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 09:51   #19

Boat: Irwin- Barefoot 37CC (Custom MK V) "Quest"
GordMay, I owe you guys an apology also. Your responses are always good and my outburst could be attributed to my own personal mood at the time.

I have seen too many instances when responders have put down a questioner because the terminology used was incorrect. I may have been guilty myself, but I now try to subtly try to use the correct term incidentally in my answer, rather than making a point of the questioners ignorance on the subject. I know it is normally not done maliciously but it can be intimidating to a new sailor.

You do give good responses however, so please keep it up.

Joe S
svquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 17:48   #20

Well, we're off and running. Made it through the first eight locks (including the Big Chute, which transports your boat in slings along a railway for a few hundred meters) and 60 or so miles without too much trouble. The weeds are a pain, but the scenery is fantastic and we made it across lake simcoe (a notorious trouble spot for weather) in the late afternoon without incident. The biggest waves were from ginormous power boats doing 30 knots.

The first lock masters tried to make me sign a waiver to relieve them from liability if I run aground. I told them they guaranteed 5 feet and I'm less, so no deal. They let me go without signing it.

Thanks again everyone!
Blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:58   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowfish View Post
Well, we're off and running. Made it through the first eight locks (including the Big Chute, which transports your boat in slings along a railway for a few hundred meters) and 60 or so miles without too much trouble...
Glad to hear it's working out for you.
Seems like you're enjoying the trip - tell us more, when you get a chance.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft