Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 00:45   #1

Downeaster 38 Bilge Access

Hello. I am researching various boats and there is a '79 Downeaster 38 that I like. I have not seen one in person thus far. One thing about these boats I have read in several places is the access to the bilge is not very good... one small floorboard forward and another further aft. This seems odd for a full keeler. Am I wrong?

That said, nobody seems to address the why. Is the floorpan too structural to allow for better access? Are freshwater/blackwater/fuel tanks in the way for some reason? Has anyone who owns one opened up better access to the bilge?

It seems like a rather large place for too many stray things to collect and/or a waste of a storage opportunity.
heronspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 12:31   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Downeaster 38 Bilge Access

I see no one’s responded yet so I’ll chime in, but I’m not much help on the bilge. Years ago I used to charter a Downeast, or Downeaster (both names are used) 38. I think I made 15 or 16 trips to local islands with high school kids in that particular boat. I do not recall needing to get into the bilge, but I can’t imagine that being a deal breaker if you are considering one. I really liked it. It is a bit heavy for my tastes but it sailed well, was strongly built and handled big seas well. It is a roomy boat, and I actually was ok with the lack of coaming around the cockpit. I have seen some good deals on 38s and 32s, i’d go get a look at the one you are considering if I were you if you are serious. As far as my experiences I don’t recall any problems at all with boat, it’s layout or design.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 14:06   #3

Thank you for your reply..

I was doing some additional reading and apparently the 80-gallon fuel tank is just under the cabin sole forward of the companionway. This accounts for maybe 1/3 of the bilge for the length of the main cabin.

So yes, not a deal-breaker. It just seemed a bit odd that access to the bilge (even forward of the fuel tank) is so poor.

I hope to get out to see the one I had my eye on soon. The biggest complaint about these boats is they are slow and they are not going to win any awards in light air. These things do not really bother me much. I am not expecting to enter the Golden Globe Race anyway. Apart from that, there is the lack of cockpit coamings, but this is a solvable issue.

Thanks again for chiming in.

Cheers,

Maxx
heronspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 14:11   #4

It sounds pretty typical to me. The bilge is usually full of ballast or tank or both. Often only room for a small sump forward and deeper one aft with a tube between them to drain.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 16:25   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Oh yeah, you’ll need a huge Genoa or cruising spinnaker for light air, or just plan on motoring. But once you have 10 to 15 kts she’ll start moving. 20 to 25 on a reach she was really nice with full main and jib and staysail. Before you start thinking of adding a coaming I’d sail her for a while. I really liked the open space and if it ever got rough enough that water made it down the deck that far, you’d probably already be in weather gear">foul weather gear. One modification I’d make if I got one is to add a super strong fitting below the bobstay fitting to attach a snubber for anchoring. That was just a thing of mine, I liked having the anchor rode strain off that roller on the bowsprit, and it gives a better angle on the rode, and it’s less likely to yank up on the rode if swell moves into the anchorage. That’s just me.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge