Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-03-2009, 15:01   #1

Boat: Doven 30ft
Doven/Knoop 30

Hi cruisers, i am wondering does anyone have any information or knowledge on the Doven/Knoop 30 yachts. They were built in Tasmania in the 80s and 90s, any info would be greatly appreciated, regards Amani.

Amani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 18:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
It is my understanding that Walter Knoop was the designer. There are a quite few of them around. His brother dick built some of them. One, at least, is a regular competitor in our local races here.

Walter is still alive and kicking. I might, at a pinch, be able to provide a telephone number for Walter (but I won't post it here - send me a PM if interested). Alternatively, you could write to Walter care of Bellerive Yacht Club (Tasmania) - he is a member there and still fairly active. Either way, he would probably be able to give you all the info that you need

My impression, having seen them around is that they are a good sea-worthy cruiser racer, more cruiser than racer, but still will sail creditably well.

Were you looking at a particular one, or just in general?

Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 00:05   #3

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
I have owned a Doven 30 for 3 years. Quite a number were built (around 30?) in various locations around Tasmania - the last built in the late 90s.
I bought mine in very run down condition but structurally very sound. Two years of work and I have a great, safe cruising boat with good accommodation for 30 feet. Mine has done a number of Sydney - Hobart races in the early 80s but I use her for sailing the wonderful cruising waters of South East Tasmania and for local twilight races. They are well balanced, easy to sail and feel solid!
Portobello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 02:33   #4

Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross
Good boats - but the quality of the fitout varies. There a number of boats around that were bought as a bare hull & deck and finished off by the owner.

Cockpit tends to be a bit on the small & deep side compared to other boats of similar age & style. The trade-off is a bit more room below.

Have even seen one converted to a motor sailer complete with "dog box" and inside steering!!
Spirit28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: