Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2016, 08:12   #1

Dolphin 22

Can anyone give me some info on a Dolphin 22 sailboat?

I'm looking at buy a project sailboat so I'm expecting to paint, do fiberglass repair, rebuild the interior.

I've never owned a sailboat but I'm a handy dude and enjoy carpentry... my primary concern is potentially needing a part I can't find.

This will be my first sailboat and I'm setting it up as a boat my wife and I can camp on for a night or 2 at a time. I'm on the gulf coast of Florida.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-05.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	122090  
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:17   #2

Re: Dolphin 22

Just make sure the sail are good, they can cost more than an old small boat like that. I don't know the Dolphin.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:21   #3

Reading the how to inspect sails guide now

If it needs new sails I guess that is something I'd have to custom order?
Old 06-04-2016, 08:25   #4

Usually, or you might find ones used somewhere that are close enough. FYI: An old small sailboat without sails or motor, and which needs a lot of work, is pretty much "giveaway" + Trailer value. If the sails are serviceable at all, they will probably work for you for a few years.... as long as they haven't been sitting in a hull full of water etc!

Old 06-04-2016, 08:28   #5

Well... I'm pretty close to the price of the trailer + the price of a small motor on this thing.

Hrm... I can find lots of parts info on a Catilina 22 but bupkis on the Dolphin which makes me think I'm never finding a part of any kind ever for this thing.

Will that be problematic when it comes time to replace all the rigging and sails?
Old 06-04-2016, 08:29   #6

There's a Dolphin 23 data here; and a yahoo group for them too!

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/olympicdolphin/info

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=183
Most parts are fairly universal for boats, I wouldn't worry much about that, unless you mean like a rudder or something.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:37   #7

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Dolphin 22

I couldn't find info on a Dolphin 22. Is it an Olympic Dolphin 22 built in Canada? Or perhaps a Dolphin 24? I once owned a Dolphin Sr. 14 built in Texas (very different boat). In any event that looks like a nice simple boat to start with. Things to check other that obvious damage include:

-the deck to hull joint look for any sign of damage from crushing or any sign of water inside the boat

-deck and cabin structure look for any soft spots. Don't know if this is cored. On a small boat it may be solid fiberglass

-bulkhead look for signs of water damage from leak

Best of luck on your adventure into sailboat ownership.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:46   #8

Thanks so much for the quick replies... I have no idea on the specifics of this boat. I'm hoping the guy has a title handy I can look at. It sounds like I can plan to order new sails and rigging that are generic (although I presume I'd need sail dimensions) and not worry too much about finding hardware specific to the boat.

So long as the deck isn't soft and I'll figure out where the mast attaches to the hull and give that a good push as well and make sure that is sold I'm probably fine to do the repairs on my own.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:54   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, I have not seen one in person either, and there isn't much out there, other than a couple that have sold and this short blurb:Boat: 1981 Dolphin 22
http://www.sailingtexas.com/sdolphin22101.html
I'd say it is a lightly built boat but for gunkholing in light winds and protected waters and camping on, it should be fine. If it has sails and rigging I personally wouldn't spend any money on it till I took it out sailing to see what it really needs. It doesn't look bad in the photo. If sails are there but just dirty, use them. If it needs new ones, just look to a place like Bacon sails for used ones that will fit, unless you really feel compelled to restore this boat to a like new condition. There are many perfectly good used sails available that would fit that boat I bet. And rigging is not restricted to a certain brand of boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 13:07   #10

Ha! I had to google gunkholing. That is indeed the plan. I think I'll be paying between zero and $200 for the boat based on the value of the motor and trailer.

I don't actually know how to sail so I'm looking for a boat I can enjoy fixing up and just learn how to sail with. If it can accommodate my wife and I overnight that would be even better.

Assuming the fiberglass isn't rotten I'll probably take it. If not there is a catilina 22 pop top with a swing keel I'm looking at tomorrow that is a bit more but also in better shape.
Old 06-04-2016, 13:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
Ha! I had to google gunkholing. That is indeed the plan. I think I'll be paying between zero and $200 for the boat based on the value of the motor and trailer.

I don't actually know how to sail so I'm looking for a boat I can enjoy fixing up and just learn how to sail with. If it can accommodate my wife and I overnight that would be even better.

Assuming the fiberglass isn't rotten I'll probably take it. If not there is a catilina 22 pop top with a swing keel I'm looking at tomorrow that is a bit more but also in better shape.
Well, fiberglass doesn't really rot. It might blister or delaminate, but I doubt that boat has that issue. The Catalina is a well-known boat and you might be able to sort-of stand up when the top is up! Re-sale on the Catalina will be better I think. But I bet you could have a lot of fun for $200 with that boat!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 06-04-2016, 14:21   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I wouldn't worry about parts, they aren't like cars, meaning pretty much none of the mechanicals are made by the boat manufacturer, they are bought and the few things that are, you would be making yourself if you had to replace them anyway, like an interior door or panel or something.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 15:07   #13

Thanks everyone for the replies. The boat would be an easy project but I decided to pay a bit more for the catilina. North Florida is a shallow coastal area and I really want to be able to lift the keel and motor into 3 feet of water so the kiddos can swim while we drink wine

That dolphin looks to draw at least 4 feet, probably more which it seems will also make it a pain in the butt to launch.

I'll be looking at a 79 catilina pop top with a swing keel tomorrow... I know enough about boats and planes to look at basic mechanical stuff and I can probably suss out a rotten sail. Any specifics I should I look for on that boat?
Old 06-04-2016, 16:21   #14

Hopefully it is on a trailer and you can inspect the swing keel and all its components to see it is in good working order. Great idea for the kiddos, and just get a good little raft and tow them around while you go through the cooler of fine vintages!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-10-2020, 01:23   #15

Boat: 1974 Olympic Dolphin 23

I have a Olympic Dolphin 23 and I'm looking for info on the centerboard. Mine rusted away and I have no dimensions for building a new one. Have you found any info on the centerboard. And yes actual 22.9 not 23 lol
robin5483 is offline   Reply With Quote