Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-02-2016, 13:32   #16

Boat: No boat right now
Re: Does this make sense?

Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I bought a Hunter 37.5 legend. Hands down, the 37.5 was the best decision
I bought a 1994 Hunter Legend 35.5 and I have to agree with thing I ever bought. Great boat. I should never had sold it. What was I thinking? Hot shower below, stern shower on a walk through transom, single line reefing, reliable yanmar, my whole wish list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doubler.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	119692   Click image for larger version

Name:	portside.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	119693  

Click image for larger version

Name:	swim.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	119694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yanmar 3GM30F.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	119695  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 14:22   #17

Typo, I guess :-) It's West WIGHT Potter, as in Isle of Wight. The first one back in King Arfur's time was plywood built, if I'm not mistaken, and not intended to be more than a "one off". The production boat is, I do believe, specifically an American phenomenon.

The designer was a denizen of the Isle of Wight. Thus the name.

TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 15:20   #18

When I told my dad that I was thinking about buying a sailboat, he gave me the following advice. If you really want a Ferrari and you think you can't afford it, so you settle for a Ford, you're still gonna want a Ferrari. Buy a bigger boat than you think you can afford now.
A Cat 22 is an OK boat, as long as you are agile and want to go camping. If you own a docked boat, you can sit back and enjoy a cold beer while chatting with the couple in the next slip. If you place any value on not driving in traffic, waiting to float your boat , pulling it out when you're tired, and driving home again after, pay the dock fee if you can find an acceptable slip at a reasonable price.
garbo38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 19:19   #19

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
The Potter is actually a seaworthy boat. They have done trans atlantic crossings. Bit cramp but well made. And the name is West Wright Potter. Quite a fan club out there for these unusual sailing vessels.
Actually, it's a West Wight Potter. A Montgomery trailer sailer is a somewhat similar boat, but perhaps prettier, with a faux lapstrake looking fiberglass hull. My good friend is trailering and sailing his 15' er all over and not even using his 30' sailboat all that much any more.. Montgomery makes a 17' and a 19' as well. If you like the Potter, you might well like the Montgomery.
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:52   #20

Boat: Lots of boats.

I have a '76 Catalina 27 in pretty good shape I would sell for about a grand. $1000 doesn't include the motor, but you could have the 5HP four stroke long shaft that is on the boat for $500 more. If I was going to keep the boat, I would spend $3K and get a new Suzuki 9.9 sailboat motor. The Cat 27 has a motor well on the back and with the power tilt, electric start, remote steering and controls, along with a 12 amp alternator, this motor would make it easier to maneuver compared to an inboard. Also being brand new with EFI it would have no starting problems. But I would only put this on if I was keeping the boat. I need the slip for another sailboat I own, so I am anxious to sell it. I keep it in Pasadena MD between Baltimore and Annapolis if you want to take a look. Could use some paint, but a solid boat. The name of the boat is Zanadu.

hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: