Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 21:27   #1

Does this hull look good or bad?

I've been looking at quite a few hulls lately and never really know whether I'm seeing an issue or not. I will get a boat surveyed once it gets to that point of course, but perhaps learning to spot issues in pictures will save me a trip and some money. What do you think of this one? Any resources to learn more would be much appreciated.
pontoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 22:07   #2

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler
Re: Does this hull look good or bad?

That's what surveyors are for.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 22:18   #3

Boat: Vagabond 14

Looks like pretty fresh bottom paint...

Fresh paint can indicate good maintenance, or it can be used to hide a lot of trouble.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 22:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
That's what surveyors are for.
I addressed this in the original post. If I move towards purchasing it, I'll get it surveyed. I'm trying to learn what a hull issue looks like. I've seen one hull recently with a hole in it, and I'm not sure if that's a normal drainage hole or not. On this particular one I see some spots near the prop on the red paint that looks like blisters were painted over or maybe the prop just sends debris into the hull and that's normal?
pontoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:28   #5

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

A boat that has had many layers of bottom paint applied can look pretty ugly. Or the paint can be hiding blisters that have not been or poorly repaired.

There should not be any holes in the bottom that are not associated with through hull fittings.

Aside from obvious damage, the only way to check the integrity of the hull is by sounding it.

A surveyor will do that.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:37   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hard to tell from photos. Looks like it may have some minor blistering, and/or a sloppy bottom paint job in its past. It helps to know more about the make, the year, and lay-up of the hull. On the face of it, I vote for "looks good."
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:40   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

are you concerned on the thru hull fitting for the cockpit drain, which is what the hole looks like?? looks fine. call surveyor for uncertainty. you will need a surveyor and survey if you plan on insuring or financing. might as well swallow the bullet and do it. is just under 1000 usd for that. gonna pay out a lot of dough for boat, may as well have it ok for financing and insuring. get copy of survey. make sure your purchase if DEPENDENT on good survey with no deal breakers inclusive. current owner fixes th e items in dire need of repair pre purchase. good luck
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 09:10   #8

I cant really see well enough to tell any issues on that hull. But generally it looks fine. It's good to look at a hull when it's wet like that as it's easier to see any imperfections or where a repair may have been done. If you can let it sit until it dries, it's also good ..... as you may be able to see any old blisters that may be weeping a bit. The mottled paint near the prop (?) is probably just rolled bottom paint, most often it is not real smooth. or it looks like it might be just newer paint over old paint that had sloughed off a bit in places... also not unusual.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 09:23   #9

Always good to have a soft nosed hammer to sound out the hull. Saves a lot of money. Years ago a 47' cheoy lee luders was up for sale. Thump thump till a friend hit a huge dead spot about 6 feet long and about 3 feet wide at the turn of the bilge down to the keel/hull area. Complete delamination. Not good. No need to call a surveyor. Think the boat still is for sale 30 years later.

Soft nosed hammers, don't leave home without one. Soft nose so you do not damage the boat. A good stainless hammer much better but most folks do not want you smashing their boats with one.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 10:29   #10

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

I can't see where you say what the hull is made of, presume GRP? Also I think you're optimistic to post a couple of small photos here and expect people to make an assessment.

As someone said above, use a hose to gently wet the surface in smallish areas, and you'll quickly see blisters (if it's glass) and other imperfections. Buy a hammer and knock it a few times so you at least look like you know what you're doing. People sometimes open up when they think someone looks like an 'expert'. Personally I think blisters are way over rated.

Not all 'holes' have thru hull fittings, cockpit drains for example, mounts for instruments too. But all holes in the hull are bad because they might cause a boat to sink. All the holes above the hull may cause annoying leaks, and if it leaks in enough water ... Go figure.

I understand your concern about the cost of a surveyor. Something that can help is to have a friendly chat with the yard staff. They'll almost always know the difference between the quality and crap, owner history, use of contractors etc in their yard, and they are unlikely to care who owns the boat. Yes it's called gossip. Chat too to other people working on their boats.
Old 18-07-2016, 10:44   #11

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

If you can try to see the boat at different times of day. Hull imperfections can hide if the lighting is right but different lighting will call attention to the bad spots.
Of course sound too because somethings just arent visible.
Old 18-07-2016, 10:54   #12

Boat: Mirage 35

As for online resources, here's one I stumbled across: Marine Survey 101, Do your own marine survey
Old 18-07-2016, 11:08   #13

Hulls are built to last, blisters are not the end of the world, I have bought boats with blisters, had them for years on the high seas without any issues, marinas will make you think the worst just to get your money for a job that is not critical. Marinas are just fancy car mechanic shops
gulfbreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 11:34   #14

gulfbreez is correct blisters are not a problem as long as you don't mind sailing in a boat that is no where near as strong as the designer meant it to be
not even going to get into the yard vs mechanic thing
classic1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 12:00   #15

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Stop guessing and get yourself a moisture meter and learn how to use it . These are an essential tool for all boaters , it can tell you if you are getting any water into to your deck coring as well.

Understanding the Moisture Meter / Electrophysics CT-33 Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull