Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-07-2016, 12:15   #16

Re: Does this hull look good or bad?

I understand your concern about the cost of a surveyor. Something that can help is to have a friendly chat with the yard staff. They'll almost always know the difference between the quality and crap, owner history, use of contractors etc in their yard, and they are unlikely to care who owns the boat. Yes it's called gossip. Chat too to other people working on their boats.[/QUOTE]

The days of yards saying anything about someone's boat are long gone. The liability issue has stopped that; and folks do sue mightily when someone in a professional position bad mouths their boat. They can talk about the make of boat and the manufacturer, but that is about all. Most of that you can get on line like David Pascoe's boat review site.

BTW someone mentioned moisture meters. Not worth the effort. We bored into the topside of a fiberglass Grand Banks because the moisture meters all said tons of water. Well there was none. Dry and the ply core was good as new. Those meters are affected by ambient humidity, surface absorption of moisture(think morning dew), and the great unknowns.

reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 12:46   #17

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Looks can be deceiving. My bottom looked much worse, even had a cracked through hull, but structurally good. No repairs needed, just paint and of course new 'bronze' through hulls.

TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 21:52   #18

Good advice in this thread. Here's a bit more I hope...when an owner tells you he's hauling out for your inspection, get there way early - I did, and found one owner urgently covering evidence of multiple groundings with kilos of fast-set bog and paint at the ready...without having caught this there is no way I would have noticed the hairline fracture in the hull reinforcement at the back of the keel on the centerline (where the keel has tried to come up through the bottom at some point - well hidden under clutter in the back of the accessible bilge). Rest of the boat was immaculate and tempting/. Yes, a surveyor should pick up on this, but that would have been wasted money since I wasn't going to consider damage of this nature.

mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: