Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2010, 11:08   #61

Boat: 42 hatteras
an older and much cheaper Moody here. this one is a pilothouse.
But I still really like the 425 for 130,000.
Ruf361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 11:38   #62

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Orissail I would virtually disagree with every line of your original post. . . . Dave
Dave - and I would virtually disagree with every line of your post - which is why there 50+ different kinds of sailing boats, scores of different kinds of instruments and a lot of different ideas about how to go about it. No one size/type/brand fits everybody so we get to choose which one is best for our own particular tastes and styles.
- - There is nothing wrong with historical tried and true values in boating just as there is nothing wrong with going with the cutting edge. It's a big ocean out there and there is room for everybody. It would be extremely boring if we all thought the same and did the same. Which is why cruising is so wonderful, lots of different ways and styles and almost all of them work.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 10:57   #63

On my lunch break i just took a look at this Endeavour. Big ole boat, well taken care of! Rigging and sails are still good. it hasnt been just sitting, the boat gets use and love from the owners. Old couple, bought a Motor Yacht to live on, as the sail boat was getting a little too much in their age. i didnt speak to the owners, but frm the looks of it, they took really good care of the boat.

All of the sails are roller furling sails, if i am using the term correctly, execpt the mizzens. I have question, there are small spider cracks all over the top of the decks, in the gelcoat, i am assuming this is normal for older boats, and isnt anything more than cosmetic. bad assumption?
Old 29-10-2010, 11:19   #64

I'll add my voice to those saying you should take a good look at that Moody 425. Great (and well made) boat and seems to fit your stated needs well.
Vachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 11:21   #65

there is one not too far from me i want to look at when i get a chance. maybe this weekend or next weekend.
Old 29-10-2010, 14:29   #66

The Moody is gorgeous, and they are good brokers to deal with. Maybe you'd like a nice Whitby 42 that has some significant ocean miles and I'll buy the Moody.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 15:35   #67

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I used to sell Raytheon/Raymarine in my boat supply/repair business because they gave dealers a 60% discount so I could give a small discount to the end customer and still make a decent profit. Which is why you see the units on most all boats. By comparison the European instruments are pricey on their own due to currency exchange and the discounts rarely exceeded 25%.
- - You can research the history of Raymarine and it reputation with cruisers versus other brands on the internets various cruising forums.
- - The "big boys" on the racers do not use Raymarine as they need stuff that works and keeps on working.
- - As a singlehander, reliable electronics and electrics is priority one as they take the place of an additional crewmember. I singlehanded and still do, a 60 ft ketch without any difficulty. Even when other people are on board the boat still operates itself and all the muscle needed is only to raise the sails and trim them. Everything can be done from inside the cockpit, which is another must for safe single-handing. Raising, trimming, reefing, and lowering is all done from inside the cockpit with no need to go out on deck under normal conditions.
- - Using 10oz dacron sails, even reefing is rarely needed unless the winds get over 50 kts. With a vang and traveler I can twist open the sails and dump 50% or more of their power without having to lower them. However the headsail must be brought in so I have a Profurl roller-reefing system which has never failed even when actually rolling in the headsail in a 50kts gale.
- - Single-handing is not difficult in any size boat so long as you plan and rig the boat so that you are using your brain instead of your muscles, which is what machines are made for. A 30ft all-manual sailboat is on the boarder of being un-safe for single-handing. Remember Ellen McArthur the 20-something English girl single-handed a 75 foot racing yacht around the world by herself. I figure if a young Brit girl can do that I can certainly handle a 60ft ketch that sails like a barge. See: Ellen MacArthur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- -(es)."
Thanks for your insights.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 19:45   #68

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruf361 View Post
On my lunch break i just took a look at this Endeavour. . .

Looks like a good boat - I see a few of them down here in the islands and the owners like them.
- - Remember the asking price is a higher price that they normally will be willing to sell for.
- - Look carefully at the bilges, bottoms of the teak bulkheads, especially near the hull for water damage and teak plywood separation.
- - Check bilges for oil water or oily wires. See if you can peek behind the electrical panels (generally they do not let you do that until a survey) for a "rat's nest" of wires.
- - Check main mast and mizzen mast keel steps for corrosion/rotten keel steps.
- - Check rudder tube and quadrant area for leaking seals, same with propeller shaft stuffing box/seals.
- - See what kinds of sea-cocks and through-hulls - if they are bronze look for evidence of green corrosion and if sea-cocks can be turned.
- - And anywhere else you can stick your head - take a good bright beam flashlight to look into the corners and crannies of the boat.
- - If it all looks reasonably good - start bargaining. . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 20:20   #69

Boat: Traditional 30
If you cant find a CC with a sugar scoop dont stress. You can easily retrofit
a marlin board

Just cost it into your purchase price

For a liveaboard yacht, I am confused why you would specificaly not want a Ketch. They have a few advantages. Smaller loads, Easier to balance etc.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 15:13   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
If you cant find a CC with a sugar scoop dont stress. You can easily retrofit
a marlin board

Just cost it into your purchase price

For a liveaboard yacht, I am confused why you would specificaly not want a Ketch. They have a few advantages. Smaller loads, Easier to balance etc.

Cheers
Oz
other than having a big pole right down the middle of where all the magic happens, i really dont have a problem with a Ketch after looking at the Endeavor.

osirissail, thank you again for the info, this boat is almost walking distance from my job, so i can pop in and out when ever to check it out more thoroughly. They just brought in a 40ft version of the same boat into the same marina for sale for 70k. i am going to look at both. very good advice on what to look for short of an inspection, i really appreciate it.

who needs an inspector when i have a digital camera and cruiser forums???

kidding. kind of.
Old 06-11-2010, 20:20   #71

Boat: Many
I would not be thinking about changing the rig. Bad idea. If you don't like a ketch, then don't buy one. Keep in mind--More than half the cost of a boat is it's rig.
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:15   #72

Boat: 40 Beneteau CC
Send a message via ICQ to sail2wind
CC with sugar scoop

here is mine, being renamed

Click image for larger version

Name:	Long Overdue 046.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	20875
sail2wind is offline   Reply With Quote