Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2010, 11:36   #46

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Rufs, I think your problem is there are too many yachts that would suit your needs. I don't buy into the blue water thingy, in that size range most boats will cross an ocean.

If you want to see what others are using, then have a search for the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers departing the Canaries in a couple of weeks for the Carib. 220 asorted yachts of every size and description.

If I had to choose one, how about one of these:

http://uk.yachtworld.com/core/listin..._id=76698&url=
Yep and not an Irwin, Hunter or McGreagor in the lot....one Catalina though..

Entry List for World Cruising Club: ARC

Ruf; Buy wisely for your intended purpose in that size range.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 11:41   #47

Boat: 42 hatteras
site is blocked from work any change of a cut n paste here so i can see?
Ruf361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 12:06   #48

Here ya go...its a long list...its not my fault now if you get fired for taking the time to read it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Entry List for World Cruising Club- ARC_1288206069241.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	20575  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 27-10-2010, 12:52   #49

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruf361 View Post
thats good advice, but I will most likely be living on the boat that i buy full time, and the i dont think the hunter would fit my living needs. . . .
That part I do not understand - if you are looking for a "blue water" boat you are looking at boats with narrow beams and relatively small interiors especially in that size range.
- - Only coastal, island boats are fat/beamy and have "roomy" accommodations. This "floating house/condo" design is very nice for living aboard but is not really designed for crossing oceans, especially as a single-hander.
- - I would suggest visiting many, many boatshows and getting a feel for what the insides of the different boats are like. Think of living in a caravan/RV land-side. Everything is very compact and there is little wasted space.
- - Hull shape is generally highly curved and not conducive to wide open interior spaces. Especially when out in the ocean where you will living "on the tilt" or sidewalls as the boat stays heeled over. The smaller the boat the more "stuff" you have piled everywhere inside - further restricting or making the interior even smaller. Moving from one area inside the boat to another area involves relocating/moving various piles of "stuff" so you can get to the different area.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 13:23   #50

first off it was a 37 and i dont think either of the places to sleep would fit me, as i am 6'2.
i was looking in the 40-42 range.
also another reason i really liked the Center Cockpit boats. more "living room",
The Hunter was an aft cockpit.

I dont need a floating condo, but a 42 with a centerline queen berth seems awesome. i am sure there is such a configuration in a boat fit for circumnavigation.

And old double ender seems to be a bit roomy. and i agree i just need to get on as many boats as possible. chatting away on the internet doesnt give me an idea what it feels like inside, but it does let me build on others experiences and help point me in the right direction.

I think most people that ask away on the net are using it as a tool to prevent them from "learning the hard". or at least save themself some time and money by narrowing down their initial list and criteria.
Old 27-10-2010, 13:31   #51

Good on ya for that!

Old 27-10-2010, 13:38   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Also, after further reading, i do not think a ketch is a bad idea. Why are they so much cheaper than all other rigs?
Because most everyone says they're a load of crap... and more expensive to maintain.....
A bit like the Ferrocement and Cat tales..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 13:43   #53

if you look at the relative lower price of a Ketch compared to a differently rigged boat, the decrease in price and sail size will probably even out the cost of having more sails over a reasonable time of ownership, what ever that maybe.
Old 27-10-2010, 14:20   #54

i love this one here

RogueWave - Search Co-Brokerage Yachts for Sale=

now someone tell me why its bad.
Old 27-10-2010, 14:31   #55
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Orissail I would virtually disagree with every line of your original post. Your ignoring years of marine development and feel everyone should be the equivalent of a Bristol pilot cutter.

Firstly virtually any well found mainstream production yacht has and will circumnavigate especially if you avoid the Polar regions !!

There are many good production cc boats with sugar scoop sterns. Ignore this nonsense about " barn door " rudders and long keels and narrow beams etc this stuff went out of fashion in the 50's.

As to the advice on electronics that too is misinformed. Raymarine is long gone from raytheon in fact it's the only real European marine electronics company left.( ray is based in the uk) Simrad ( and Robertson is long gone into simrad) Simrad is only a brand name of lowrance.

Ignore also comments about gear round the world racers use these people use customised b&g or nke stuff that's not available to mere mortals and they duplicate and tripilicate everything ( and it still beaks ).

Raymarine makes fine gear on a par or better then others. Don't listen to me loom at the equipment surveys done on the 200+ boats sailing the arc. Inmy experience ray makes the best autopilot
Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 07:52   #56

official GF graphic?

Old 28-10-2010, 08:33   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
i love this one here

RogueWave - Search Co-Brokerage Yachts for Sale=

now someone tell me why its bad.
Nothing, well respected quality built UK yacht which would take you anywhere. The mark is also supported by a very active owners association which if your interested is available via this link and who you could ask further questions of the members under the "Info Exchange"

MOA Home Page

I have been on several members M425 and M44s and would be delighted to own one of the larger makes. The only reason we don't own a larger one is simply down to purchase and mooring costs on the UK South Coast, instead we are however delighted with the smaller Moody.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 09:02   #58

Thank you for the link. There ar ea few Moody's in the price range i am looking at. Although there is always the temptation to get something cheap like this Vagabond Ketch and update to look like this Moody.

The vagabond is listed at $29,000
The Moody is listed at $225,000

Wonder if $100k into the Vagabond would give me close to the same boat for almsot half the price...
Old 28-10-2010, 10:10   #59

Boat: O'Day 28
I'm on the verge of being able to post links but not yet.

There's a pretty nice Hunter Passage 42 on ebay right now. There's a day to go on it. It's just above $85k at the moment. Also 2 on Sailboat listings.
Old 28-10-2010, 10:45   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Wonder if $100k into the Vagabond would give me close to the same boat for almsot half the price...
No it doesn't work like that and its incredibly difficult to turn an old boat into a new one that could be sold for anything like the money you invest in it.

I prefer the first Moody you found at $130k. Put it this way, although 10 years older, the first time you hit the jetty a little too hard it at least there won't be tears. Assuming it has been looked after then its age won't be problem.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote