Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 13:41   #61

Re: Does it really matter which damn sailboat you pick to go down the west coast?

what a load of hobble goo, he has more than enough money to do his dream. i am shocked at the practice still in the sailing world. there are some amazing stores on line at you tube of small cheap boats being very successful and one comes to mind that is a boat named Daphne a 27 wooden sail boat second hand under ten grand sailed around the world this woman is now world famous she started at entry level around 6 years ago now is considered one of the most amazing sailors look he up Theresa and her partner there site Teresa Carey's Sailing Simplicity & the Pursuit of Happiness. don't except rich men opinions there based on their wallets. you go for it just show common scene and seek help when needed go to you tube there is hundreds of hours of footage about live aboard and solo sailing coastal blue water other. and remember a million dollar sail boat will sink the same as a 10.000 dollar one when it hit rocks or loose mast or other. good luck hope you get there.
bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 14:06   #62

Re: Does it really matter which damn sailboat you pick to go down the west coast?

AH yes, to romance the sea,
Only to find out, how fickle she can be.
When trying to steal a kiss,
She'll have you on your knees.

How's that for waxing poetic ... plain and simple, you will die.

But then again Tanya Abbe did it , go figure
T-Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 14:20   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
No wonder with the types of elitist comments on this site from some individuals. The forum seems to turn people away from sailing or even asking questions. following this site for a week you learn very quickly that there are not to many individuals who actually sail regularly or live aboard their sailboats.
Well you have been here for a few days now what category do I fit into do I live aboard do I sail regularly I recommend getting experience with a well founded boat in relatively safe waters here in the pnw then sail on if and when you feel comfortable doing so.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 14:44   #64
cruiser

Well, I'm beginning to wonder if we've been set up. Did "MikeAndMichelle" use a ridiculous opening post to provoke us into a discussion hoping to see it degenerate into argument? My guess is even if they are real people, they will ignore all the good advice here and do whatever they want to do.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 14:47   #65
vjm

Quote:
what a load of hobble goo, he has more than enough money to do his dream. i am shocked at the practice still in the sailing world. there are some amazing stores on line at you tube of small cheap boats being very successful and one comes to mind that is a boat named Daphne a 27 wooden sail boat second hand under ten grand sailed around the world this woman is now world famous she started at entry level around 6 years ago now is considered one of the most amazing sailors look he up Theresa and her partner there site Teresa Carey's Sailing Simplicity & the Pursuit of Happiness. don't except rich men opinions there based on their wallets. you go for it just show common scene and seek help when needed go to you tube there is hundreds of hours of footage about live aboard and solo sailing coastal blue water other. and remember a million dollar sail boat will sink the same as a 10.000 dollar one when it hit rocks or loose mast or other. good luck hope you get there.
Daphne was a Nor Sea 27. They run somewhere between 30-60,000 purchase price on a used one. They are also fiberglass, not wood. Nifty boat, but certainly not a low budget item.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 14:52   #66

Boat: Union cutter 33

Not sure how someone expects to cruise so cheap we paid 50k for our 34ft 2yrs ago and have spent 35k refitting it so we can cruise and probably will spend another 15k before we r done..
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 15:04   #67

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
what a load of hobble goo, he has more than enough money to do his dream.
You have actually made a pretty good point here.

This site is similar to what an RV Website would be like in camping. Not a lot of talk about what the cost would be with say a small tent and hiking to your destinations

Folks here are always talking how many 10's of thousands of dollars it takes to sail.

It's simply not true unless you want your home or condo on the water.

To answer the OP's question, no it doesn't if you have enough experience. But a good ole full keel boat can help save you in a bad situation

But you have to realize, it's mostly on you and your experience. You need to know your coast and your winds.

So sail the area for a few years then consider sailing south. In the mean time, you can hike it or cycle the coast.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 15:09   #68

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
Not sure how someone expects to cruise so cheap we paid 50k for our 34ft 2yrs ago and have spent 35k refitting it so we can cruise and probably will spend another 15k before we r done..
The world is full of resourceful people. How you spend is based on many factors. I have seen people come into boatyards and spend $150-300k on a boat and wind up with a boat worth less than half of what they just spent. I have also seen inexperienced folks learn how to repair, upgrade and maintain their own boats and cruise quite happily on a fraction of what you are spending. It's all relative...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 15:10   #69

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Oh brother- you sound about as experienced as the OP.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 15:19   #70

Boat: Shopping

If the boat is sound, and you know what you're doing, and you pay attention to the weather, which boat might not matter so much.

If the boat is not sound, or you don't know what you're doing, or you don't pay attention to the weather, which boat might not matter so much.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 15:21   #71

Boat: Bristol 27

Looks like one guy near the OP took a rather long sail on a boat that probably didn't cost him too much

Maybe $4,000............

Bill Wolfram, born 1950, sailed a Bristol 22, We-Tu, from Port Townsend, Washington, to Australia and back, around 2002-2004.[1]

I'm betting he knew his waters and made a detailed plan before he left ................and returned. There used to be a picture of his boat crammed with supplies before he made his return trip from Australia

Bristol 22 | Bristol sailboats
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 15:31   #72

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
Well, I'm beginning to wonder if we've been set up. Did "MikeAndMichelle" use a ridiculous opening post to provoke us into a discussion hoping to see it degenerate into argument?
Naw!!! There's NO way THAT could ever happen
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 15:41   #73

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Naw!!! There's NO way THAT could ever happen
Just couldn't happen. Sounds like it however.

I guess those trying to help are the elitists according to one post.

Damn, I guess I am among the elite. Makes me feel good.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 15:43   #74

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboat30 View Post
I don't think anyone has mentioned what happens to most of the money you put into an old boat. It goes away. Buy a 10k boat, put 10k into it, and what do you have when it comes time to sell? A 10k boat, or something very close to that.
If you buy boats to turn a monetary profit it's a business, not a hobby, & you're a boat dealer. Most people own boats because they understand the profit is not monetary, it's psychological. I, for one, cannot imagine not owning a boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 15:48   #75
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Oh brother- you sound about as experienced as the OP.
Are we too hard on some newbie posters? :what:

My own cryptic reply to OP (#11)... was based on a gut feeling that this was just a silly troll.....but I could have been wrong and was hoping he would prove me wrong.

But I also did not like his lack of respect towards boats in general as this Forum is all about their care and nurture.

Same as if in a couples forum the OP posted.....
'Does it really matter what dam Wife you marry?'

Bacon, we are anything but elitist on this forum.....read the thousands of posts on DIY projects to save money or helping to troubleshoot problems or give local knowledge on safe approaches to some place.

The very core of cruising is that you can share and enjoy the same Anchorage and camaraderie with a fellow sailor, despite your differences in pocketbook .....

We basically all started sailing toy boats in puddles as kids and never grew up!

To all new posters to CF...
Don't waste our time if you are not serious....
There are too many real newbies out there that can better use our help.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat, west coast