Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 15:59   #76

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Does it really matter which damn sailboat you pick to go down the west coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Are we too hard on some newbie posters? :what:

My own cryptic reply to OP (#11)... was based on a gut feeling that this was just a silly troll.....but I could have been wrong and was hoping he would prove me wrong.

But I also did not like the lack of respect towards boats in general as this Forum is all about their care and nurture.

Same as if in a couples forum the OP posted.....
'Does it really matter what dammed Wife you marry?'

Bacon, we are anything but elitist on this forum.....read the thousands of posts on DIY projects to save money or helping to troubleshoot problems or give local knowledge on safe approaches to some place.

The very core of cruising is that you can share and enjoy the same Anchorage and camaraderie with a fellow sailor, despite your differences in pocketbook .....

We basically all started sailing toy boats in puddles as kids and never grew up!

To all new posters to CF...
Don't waste our time if you are not serious....
There are too many real newbies out there that can better use our help.
Great post. I have made friends with people that had multimillions with a 28' and those with not much and a 50'. Boating seem to be an odd duck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 16:02   #77

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Does it really matter which damn sailboat you pick to go down the west coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
To all new posters to CF...
Don't waste our time if you are not serious....
WTF?

You act like you are getting paid to reply.

The OP's post has generated lots of interest. What difference does it make if he is serious or not..?

I learned what I'm thinking is a very nice place to sail near Vancouver, BC (in summer!!!) and lots of other stuff

https://www.google.com/search?q=geor...bltV2O6z61M%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=geor...GzyfbuqtB7M%3A

We are also seeing the same ole BS about how much it cost to cruise. I have seen folks actually get upset when I tell them what I paid for my boat while they paid over $100,000 for theirs but rarely sail 10 miles offshore...........
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 16:04   #78

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The OP is long gone, but I vote for a Signet 20! SF to Point Conception in 2 and a half days then the wind died.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 16:17   #79

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
WTF?

You act like you are getting paid to reply.

The OP's post has generated lots of interest. What difference does it make if he is serious or not..?

I learned what I'm thinking is a very nice place to sail near Vancouver, BC (in summer!!!) and lots of other stuff

https://www.google.com/search?q=geor...bltV2O6z61M%3A

We are also seeing the same ole BS about how much it cost to cruise. I have seen folks actually get upset when I tell them what I paid for my boat while they paid over $100,000 for theirs but rarely sail 10 miles offshore...........
Getting from Va. Beach to Vancouver, BC is going to be the problem.

And yes there has been good advice about sailing in BC. But there have been people trying to keep them from a fool's errand. I think it was a troll?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 16:19   #80

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Getting from Va. Beach to Vancouver, BC is going to be the problem.

And yes there has been good advice about sailing in BC. But there have been people trying to keep them from a fool's errand. I think it was a troll?
Actually, I'm not seeing a problem:

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...015-11-29;a=DL

http://www.bluepacificcharters.com/sail/
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 16:25   #81

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

I vote for a Westerly Nomad!

They're well under his budget, and strong enough for the voyage.
It won't get then there fast, but it will get them there. He doesn't sound like speed is a priority if they're going to coastal hop along the way.

Cheap parts, rigging, and sails available (Catalina 22 sails work fine.)

Decent living arrangements for 2 (if coastal hopping).

Of course, I'm biased!
Old 09-11-2015, 16:39   #82

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

No, it really doesn't matter as long as it's an appropriate boat with an experienced skipper with a sound plan.

Sailing around Vancouver will bring it all into perspective. Sail with someone, instructor, whatever. Once you see what it is like out there in a small boat, with winds and current, the previous comments will all make sense. If you really want to succeed, someone with experience will help you get started without making serious mistakes. You're a good ways off from a southbound pacific passage, but one has to start somewhere, and there's loads of great adventuring to be had up there. Best of luck to you if you're actually pursuing this...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 16:44   #83

Boat: Island Packet 350

Some of the most dangerous harbors out there are along Oregon, Northern California coast. Check out the bar at the mouth of the Columbia, or Coos Bay, or Eureka, etc., etc.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 16:53   #84

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
i find this forum has some elites people and does not really offer advise. since wind has been harnessed for sailing all types of vessels have traveled the world. i say go for it you will learn by experience and have a great time doing so just ask for advise when you need it some a million dollar sailboat will sink just the same as a 10.000 dollar boat and they both float. choose the boat you want and go for it. there are many individuals couple who have spent many years on water in cheap sail boats you go for it your budget is just fine
So… you think that our advising caution to someone who has suggested that they are contemplating buying a sailboat impulsively and in frustration and just go ahead and "hug the coastline" of the world's longest and fiercest lee shore with no experience should just garner a chorus of uncritical applause? Sheesh. This has nothing to do with elitism. I and others have stated perfectly clearly that an excellend boat can be bought for comparatively little money. It is not the boat, but the plan and the attitude. You seem like a well balanced individual, however, with a chip clearly visible on both shoulders.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 16:57   #85
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Within the last six months or so, a couple of new cruising sailors went in an inexpensive older boat from Seattle to San Francisco and posted a blog of their trip and I believe in the forum too. I can't locate the video now, but I recall how they experienced high winds, high seas, a broken dead light (window), seasickness, and finished in San Francisco with a tow by the Coast Guard into SF Bay. They had an exciting and trying first offshore passage, despite much planning. I was impressed by their spirit, well made blog , and their plans to participate in the Great Pacific Gyre Plastic Pickup (or something like that). I wish I could find the video or blog links or remember their member name. I think the OP of this thread, and others proposing to a similar trip would learn something by reading their blog.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 17:02   #86

Boat: 55' sloop.

Many of the posters on this thread have mentioned the OP having trouble getting as far as Baja California. He did actually say Chile. Coastal hugging from Vancouver to Chile.

And to all you lot shouting: "elitism", try reading our actual responses, please.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 17:45   #87
cruiser

Boat: cal 29

Don't forget Rimas in his San Juan 24. I think he made it all the way to Samoa.
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 17:50   #88
cruiser

Boat: cal 29

Take a few days and read this thread
Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24 - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 18:43   #89
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Don't forget John Guzzwell and his little boat Trekka. People can and DO make it 'round the world in little boats. I tried to get a friend of mine who lost his most recent cruising boat to the sea purchase a 26' Contessa that was offered for sale in SF for $6800 and it had been re-rigged, had a wind steerer, well, pretty much everything needed for ocean voyaging. Tania Abei managed just fine, as a teen alone, in such a boat. There have been many people voyage far in sub-30 ft boats. It does happen. There have also been many inexperienced sailors pick up the knowledge as they went along, quick witted, and hardy souls they manage just fine. I enjoy meeting these fine adventurers and hope that everyone here does too.

It's not our place as fellow sailors to trash/thrash the dreams of another nor our place to say what constitutes a valid form of cruising. Not at all. The OP came asking for some info about what sort of boat might suit the trip. We each jumped in with a bit of extra--mine was to consider sailing the PNW for quite some time as it's lovely cruising grounds. Or, to take the small bit of budget and other ever-so-worthwhile and fun travels from land (e.g. motorcycle, etc.) When my husband and I were younger, we had no money, zilch, and our adventures were built around wilderness trips, canoe trips, beach camping, car travel in Mexico sleeping in the back yards of friendly farmers in Mexico..and doing anything but sailing because we knew it was a bit of a costly way to travel. But--we also had pets and houses and other things keeping us from just taking off with the boat as our only possession too.

The ocean adventures we all can have are rich and full--whether from a large sailboat or a tiny skiff. Read about the adventures of a father and son who took their freight canoe from the upper mid-west all the way to South America (in the 1980's) in a book called "Paddle to the Amazon." Almost certainly there would have been a lot of nay-sayers to that fine adventure.

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24--now there's a story...
Old 09-11-2015, 19:02   #90

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

It almost sounds like you need more time and experience on boats. This would let you better identify what you need/want. For us a first boat was just that - a first chance to get a sense of how things work and what our preferences would be. The second boat has most if not all of what we identified as needed from that first boat. So maybe consider a purchase that would let you get a good taste but something you plan to sell on your way to the boat you will ultimately voyage on...
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat, west coast