Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-08-2016, 20:47   #46

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68
Re: Does bow thruster increase a boats value?

On the other hand, great entertainment is to be had with a thruster in a dead calm dead quiet marina if a kayaker gets too close to alongside your bow.

Pheew it gives them a real dose of high energy. I guess they would laugh about it once they calm down.

Old 06-08-2016, 21:01   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
On the other hand, great entertainment is to be had with a thruster in a dead calm dead quiet marina if a kayaker gets too close to alongside your bow.

Pheew it gives them a real dose of high energy. I guess they would laugh about it once they calm down.
That's a great idea. If I ever get mine to work.

Old 06-08-2016, 22:15   #48

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I'm considering adding a bow thruster to my Tashiba-31. I've tried to research into boats with and without thrusters to see how it affects the price, but not having much luck finding boats with thrusters.

Other items, like new engines or new rigging do not seem to impact price.

So - does adding a bow thruster increase a boat's value?
If you are thinking of adding it to make it more sellable, don't waste your money, even if it did add value it will be at a great financial loss.

If you want to add it because you feel you need one, just do it if you can justify the cost ignoring the sale price.

If you are asking this question so you can convince your wife to let you spend the money. I wish you luck
Old 06-08-2016, 23:34   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I'm considering adding a bow thruster to my Tashiba-31. I've tried to research into boats with and without thrusters to see how it affects the price, but not having much luck finding boats with thrusters.

Other items, like new engines or new rigging do not seem to impact price.

So - does adding a bow thruster increase a boat's value?
No, it won't increase the value. But it might make your boat appeal to more buyers, but I doubt you'll see an increase in price.

Folks looking to purchase an older 31ft traditional full keel sailboat won't be looking for it to have a bow thruster.
Old 07-08-2016, 15:33   #50

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
42 posts and only about four people who read or at least understood the original question.
Normal stuff for the Internet.
Old 07-08-2016, 16:15   #51

Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)

<LOL> I am not sure anything "adds" to the value of a boat.. I am currently getting ready to buy my live aboard boat and I've been looking at hundreds on-line. I've seen boats of the same model and year vary 50% or more in asking price.

And in no case did it appear those better equipped had the higher asking price. Just looked at a 40" boat of which there are about a dozen listed on YachtWorld.com of the same model. Though it did not have any of the desirable "goodies", they were asking about the highest price of those on YachtWorld. Go figure. flk k
Old 07-08-2016, 16:38   #52

Boat: Tashiba-31

I've had some experience with docking other boats and never had any issues - but they were all fin keel. This is a full keel boat. It is not easy to back up. Experience of course is one solution - but that takes time to develop.

The question isn't about convenience or experience, it's about what that type of modification will do to a boat's value.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:33   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
But almost never by the price of the new engine plus install

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Of course not, an old boat is expected to have an engine in serviceable condition. If the engine does not work, the boat is devalued. If the engine is new, the boats value is increased, by the about the difference over having a serviceable vs brand new engine, depreciated by years and hours since installation. (It depreciates about 25% the instant it is "used" like any mechanical device.)

But to the original point, if the boat is difficult to handle in cross wind or cross current (as many full keel boats are) and you want a thruster to make close quarters low speed maneuvering easier, and you can afford it, why not?

If you sell the boat a year later, it will have cost you a fair bit. If your sell the boat 10 years later, you may have gotten your money's worth, whether it increases resale value or not.

Few vessels are sound financial investments. (They can be priceless recreational or lifestyle investments.) Adding any piece of equipment for the purpose of increasing resale is risky. (Replacing a dead engine with a used one if you can do it yourself, solely to sell a boat, would be an example of a possible worthwhile financial investment.)

Cleaning and polishing is about the most valuable financial investment for resale value. It is rare where this will not produce at least a 200% ROI when contracted out.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:08   #54
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Exactly how far back from the bow would you have to install a bow thruster on a 31' boat. Even a relatively deep bow on a heavy boat needs to be pretty far back to have enough depth to work. Even a very small thruster like a 25kg with a 4.25" tube needs to be mounted somewhere with, what, about 12" of draft at that point. It's very possible to get that depth you could be so far back the thruster does very little to turn the boat.

I am just not seeing it. I appreciate the difficulty of backing down a full keel boat, but even still.
Your concerns about finding a place in the bow where the thruster tube is deep enough are valid, and in some sailboats with cut-away forefoots, the only available thruster solution is a retractable, usually too expensive and heavy for a small boat. However, for a thruster providing 25 kilograms/55 pound force of thrust, the 110mm/4-1/4" diameter tube, with minimum length measured along the bottom of 220mm/8-1/2", the minimum submersion of the top of the tube is only 55mm/2-1/8" (half the tube diameter). A little more submersion is better, but it's often possible to find a tube location that works. There is a little increased drag, but you'd have to be nose to nose with another boat at the finish line of a race for it to have any noticeable effect.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: