Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 17:57   #1

Boat: 1980 freedom 33 and 2005 hunter 41
Do you enjoy ?...

As much i do working in the boat as i enjoy sailing ?
I can sail all year so, For me some weekends are better with a beer in one hand and a scrudriver in the other one😊
captprogreso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 18:48   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Do you enjoy ?...

Doesn't the OJ queer the taste of the beer? Vodka chasers, maybe. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 19:06   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

If you own a boat you either got to enjoy working on it (if even a bit begrudgingly) or otherwise have deep pockets.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 19:43   #4

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

If it wasn't for D. I. Y. I could never afford a boat. Still very proud of what I have accomplished with it though. Unfortunately the work never really ends.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:26   #5

Boat: Boatless

No question about it, boat projects are part of the adventure :-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:09   #6

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

ABSOLUTELY!

I love to sail but I love it when everything works - Wait EVERYTHING never works - ok when most everything works.

Anyway, I get a lot of pleasure out of working on the boat.

And John if you chase the screwdriver with the beer its not as bad on the taste and gets the crick out of your neck from the aft lazarette quicker.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:39   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

From the way you spelled screwdriver I'd be inclined to cut back on the beer a bit??
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:45   #8

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
If it wasn't for D. I. Y. I could never afford a boat. Still very proud of what I have accomplished with it though. Unfortunately the work never really ends.
This. While I realize the value (and find satisfaction in) of diy for knowledge of the boat systems I'd rather be rich enough that I could learn by watching (and I think I'm good on the sanding/painting thing). I find much more enjoyment in sailing, snorkeling and traveling but my rich parents abandoned me on a doorstep and I got stuck with the working class...
Old 12-04-2018, 11:00   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

But lets face it, many sailboat owners do way more boat projects than are actually needed or necessary.......

Many are getting ready for that first long cruise, but for some reason, never sail locally

My boat is 44 years old and I've owned it 7 years.

Besides the first few months of bottom painting and removing and replacing the diesel, I haven't done a whole lot to it yet I sail it quite often

Mainly just bottom jobs and outboard impellers although I have cut and capped off all the hoses to my Thetford Head turning it into a glorified porta potty
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:47   #10

Boat: Colegate 26

I recently watched this video about iFixIt and phone teardowns and this video about hacking John Deere tractors.

I think people who live on and maintain their boats are a similar breed of person. The iFixIt website and community are a fantastic resource for small electronics repair. They even have sections for cars, engines (including some outboard marine engines) and household appliances. It would be interesting to me to see marine electronics pop up in their forums.

Their information and guides are all free, including quality photography and often times video of the disassembly process. They charge what I think are reasonable prices for their tools and parts.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:38   #11

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Well, this is well-timed, because I happen to be sitting on the boat having just finished sanding and staining a big hunk of beautiful, straight-grained mahogany in the cabin of my 37-year-old boat. It’s the salon table, which, in its stowed position is the first thing you see after descending the companionway stairs (which have already been sanded, re-stained, and varnished – beautiful!). Anyway, one thing leads to another, I guess, because if you refinish a piece of wood that is next to another that looks like s**t, one is driven to re-finish the next piece. All that said, I would much rather be sailing in a 25-knot breeze 10 miles offshore. Truly, really!. I do take some satisfaction in fixing things like the above, but the feeling of being detached from the rest of the crazies on shore is truly liberating, at least in my case.

However, while writing this, I happened to look up at the headliner overhead, and immediately grabbed a Lysol wipe to get mold off the headliner, and then, seeing more forward, continued for 5 minutes or so........ I am not OCD, even though people may say so......;-)
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:55   #12
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

You don’t have to enjoy doing boat work/maintenance, but you have to do it!
Old 12-04-2018, 14:21   #13

Boat: 32 contessa

Me ,
I like working on my yacht , The best thing is when i find a small job to fix that would have been a massive job in 3 months ,

I believe its all part of owning a boat ,,

On saying that i will be off the tools as i had my little finger amputated yesteday due to a crazy woman slaming a door on it ,, oh well , one down 9 to go ,,,

At least when i haggle boat part prices now i start at $9 not $10

Have a great day everry one
Old 12-04-2018, 14:44   #14

Boat: Catalina 320

Nope, I'd rather sail it than work on it, been there, done that, know how to do it, have taken them apart and put them back together again. I try to schedule maintenance for crappy weather.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 15:21   #15

My problem (although the wife says I have many) is that when I fling myself madly at some repair or other boat event, I always get the time expectation wrong. Very wrong.
Yes dear! Should take about a day! Two weeks later, same job. same opinion. Ten times the estimated cost ..... Slow learner as well.
Are these problem unique to me?
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote