Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2018, 15:51   #16

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: Do you enjoy ?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
My problem (although the wife says I have many) is that when I fling myself madly at some repair or other boat event, I always get the time expectation wrong. Very wrong.
Yes dear! Should take about a day! Two weeks later, same job. same opinion. Ten times the estimated cost ..... Slow learner as well.
Are these problem unique to me?
I don't think so. And I think people who say things like, "Oh man, that's an easy task. I knocked it out in 30 minutes. You'll have no problem", are lying to you and lying to themself. They're not remembering correctly. They remember the brief moment when the task is completed and everything works. They don't remember the hours it took doing preparation and cleanup. Or that their first three attempts failed miserably and made the whole thing worse.

Or maybe it's a task they've done a dozen times and have figured out how to overcome all those errors and get straight to the punchline. Regardless, initial time estimates are near universally wrong by a factor of 4.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 15:55   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

No, I dont. Its a necesary evil.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 16:09   #18

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia

I, and I think most here, take pride in my boat, in keeping it shipshape. Also when in bad weather, I'm reflecting on the condition of my boat and what I neglected...
Either you're wealthy or you enjoy working on your boat.
Old 12-04-2018, 16:40   #19

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
My problem (although the wife says I have many) is that when I fling myself madly at some repair or other boat event, I always get the time expectation wrong. Very wrong.
Yes dear! Should take about a day! Two weeks later, same job. same opinion. Ten times the estimated cost ..... Slow learner as well.
You are not alone. I hate making mistakes. This means I re-read books or re-watch videos to make sure it sinks in. Then I measure 10 times before I cut. Then the unforeseen happens (always!) and my time estimate is out the window.
Old 12-04-2018, 19:21   #20

Speaking of fixin and repairs.....You might want to be aware that some of the manufacturers of a range of products are working to limit, ( as in none) your ability to do your own repairs. From automobiles with sealed engine compartments, to washing machines that cannot be opened and farm tractors that only a certified ( read expensive) factory technician can repair or upgrade. Computers, phones, cars, Called the 'right to repair' or the Fair Repair Act, there is a groundswell political movement against the major manufacturers, ( fill in this space with global manufacturers of big ticket items) that are seeking to monopolize your product repairs. They are doing this to make the products more profitable through monopoly and by planned obsolesce. For instance, when a farmer buys a new tractor, John Deere makes the farmer sign an agreement that he will limit his repairs to xx and if he goes beyond that point, can be sued. The same with cell phones, ( Apple, Samsung) , Its happening everywhere and an eye needs to be kept on the manufacturers clutches of products that you supposedly own. After all, you own it, you can do what you want with it...right?
Meacenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 19:33   #21

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

I HATE working on boats. Beer or scrudriver regardless.

But it has to be done. And of course I love the results.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 20:02   #22

"The Wind in the Willows",

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing... about in boats — or with boats. In or out of ’em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not" The Rat....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 20:11   #23

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

I get paid to work on other peoples boat so I can afford to pay people to work on mine. I love working on the electronics, I am a PRO after all, but I will pass on sanding, painting, polishing, and anything that requires me to stand on my head.
KeelMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 00:52   #24
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about starting a similar thread about: "What Kind of Boat Owner Are You".

Do you just like being on the water and hate maintenance? OR
Are DIY Projects on the boat a big part of your hobby as it keeps both the brain and body busy, restoring your beautiful craft?

I'm sort of like KeelMe as I Designed, Project Managed and Captained for the extremely wealthy, which allowed me to witness true craftsmanship and live to a very high standard on the water travelling the world.

Now retired, I enjoy tinkering on my own beautiful dutch boat especially when just by myself. ..less so when I'm hiring guys to do the mundane cosmetics, or dirty stuff that both KeelMe and I refuse to do.

I learn a lot from members here on CF who come from a more "hands on" professional repair background and I enjoy the challenge of trying to make my own progects reach "FEADSHIP Quality"

Cruising Destinations are less important now as they have mostly deteriorated in the last 35 years. (I was really spoiled in world and adventure cruising)

The companionship on board my own yacht is far more important now than that "ultimate" Destination

Lastly, as a cruising boat owner, there is that intangible feeling of freedom, when you maintain a well found yacht that can slip her lines and cast away all shore side problems that are beyond your control.

For me, that has always been my addiction. Without it, I feel my options disappearing.

Keeping the mind active as a Planner and a Doer is the Zen of boat or motorcycle maintenance,
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
I get paid to work on other peoples boat so I can afford to pay people to work on mine. I love working on the electronics, I am a PRO after all, but I will pass on sanding, painting, polishing, and anything that requires me to stand on my head.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 02:19   #25

Boat: 32 contessa

Quote:
No buddy thats us all , if we told them the real
#How much
#how long
#How many Beers

They would make us sell the boats
Old 13-04-2018, 02:20   #26

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

A resounding yes !

I think I saw a t-shirt once that read something like " There is nothing - absolutely nothing - better than just puttering about a boat."

That would be me. Sure it's all done with a goal in mind of going cruising, and I'll go sailing as often as I can in the meantime. But just being on the boat in her slip and working on a project, big or small, is very satisfying to me.

In fact, just being on the boat at all reduces my stress level by a minimum of 33.75%. Just to put it into numbers.
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 09:00   #27

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Regardless, initial time estimates are near universally wrong by a factor of 4.
I learned from my father that this factor is actually 3.14.

By the way, there is also a safety aspect to all this... When things go pear-shaped and stuff starts breaking down far from shore, a bit of technical knowledge of the boat can often save the day.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 12:22   #28

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
I learned from my father that this factor is actually 3.14.

By the way, there is also a safety aspect to all this... When things go pear-shaped and stuff starts breaking down far from shore, a bit of technical knowledge of the boat can often save the day.
The only time estimates are not wrong by a factor of 3 to 4 is either

a) when they're wrong by a factor of 12, or

b) when you start the project and realize there is an extremely easy fix that you overlooked. Like when I thought I had a pinhole leak somewhere in my freshwater system and I was anticipating having to crawl into every tiny space in the boat and look at every water hose and connection, and it turned out to be a loose clamp on a hose at the water pump, which just happened to be the first thing I looked at.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 06:00   #29

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meacenas View Post
Speaking of fixin and repairs.....You might want to be aware that some of the manufacturers of a range of products are working to limit, ( as in none) your ability to do your own repairs. From automobiles with sealed engine compartments, to washing machines that cannot be opened and farm tractors that only a certified ( read expensive) factory technician can repair or upgrade. Computers, phones, cars, Called the 'right to repair' or the Fair Repair Act, there is a groundswell political movement against the major manufacturers, ( fill in this space with global manufacturers of big ticket items) that are seeking to monopolize your product repairs. They are doing this to make the products more profitable through monopoly and by planned obsolesce. For instance, when a farmer buys a new tractor, John Deere makes the farmer sign an agreement that he will limit his repairs to xx and if he goes beyond that point, can be sued. The same with cell phones, ( Apple, Samsung) , Its happening everywhere and an eye needs to be kept on the manufacturers clutches of products that you supposedly own. After all, you own it, you can do what you want with it...right?
Its good to live in Central America! Good luck enforcing that here. [emoji41]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 06:07   #30

Boat: Leopard 39

I enjoy sailing more than I enjoy repairs; I do my own repairs because when something goes wrong with a repair, I like to have the idiot who did it close at hand.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote