Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-07-2017, 04:00   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
Do I actually need to be registered to cruise?

Hi,

My boat officially becomes mine on the 24th and I will actually be on it on the 31st but I haven't even had the opportunity to begin the registration process with the Canadian government and they said it would take about 5 weeks to complete the process so I'm wondering if I even need to have it registered to cruise.

The boats in Northwest England right now and I'd like to take it to Isla of man and Ireland en route to the South end of England and over to France etc. I can burn maybe a week tops screwing around in the marina (I have to install a windvane self-steering unit) but by then I'm going to want to be gone. Do I need to wait for the registration if I already have insurance?

Old 17-07-2017, 04:27   #2

Re: Do I actually need to be registered to cruise?

I presume the boat is currently British registered? If so by all means sail under the red duster until you've had a chance to register in your home country.

I purchased a French flagged boat in St Martin and sailed it to the US under the tricolor. Due to amazing USCG red tape, it was nearly 9 months before she had
US documents.

Old 17-07-2017, 04:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Grateful View Post
I presume the boat is currently British registered? If so by all means sail under the red duster until you've had a chance to register in your home country.

I purchased a French flagged boat in St Martin and sailed it to the US under the tricolor. Due to amazing USCG red tape, it was nearly 9 months before she had
US documents.
Wow! 9 months! I wonder if that's worse than France would be. They seem to be pretty slow there from what I recall.

The boat's never been registered and the previous owner sailed it all around england and to Ireland and Scotland.

I don't imagine it'll be too tricky.

Ahh St Martin, I look forward to returning Pretty funny experiences there, haha.
Old 17-07-2017, 05:16   #4

Boat: Bristol 45.5

There are two things you need to do. One is to deregister the boat in Britain. You will need some documentation from them to do the registration in Canada. All of this will take time, but not much work from you to do. While you are waiting you will have the British registration and your bill of sale. You can use these for any check-ins/outs you need to do. Just to be sure, register the boat in Canada with the federal government, not with a province. Some countries do not accept provincial or state licensing as a boat registration.
Still looking for our next boat. Have decided we want to have something that will keep us happy for the next 10 years or so. By then I will be pushing 80 and if i am still sailing that will be a very good thing.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 05:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

No problems sailing around the UK. If it's not on any register you will run into problems clearing in and out of many countries.
Old 17-07-2017, 05:58   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35

I don't know who told you it takes 5 weeks to register Canadian. It took us about 5 days and we had the registration document emailed to us. The physical copy was mailed to us and took a bit longer, but that wasn't needed initially.
As long as you have the de-registration document from it's current country, then it should go quickly.
Old 17-07-2017, 07:47   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLGCrawford View Post
I don't know who told you it takes 5 weeks to register Canadian. It took us about 5 days and we had the registration document emailed to us. The physical copy was mailed to us and took a bit longer, but that wasn't needed initially.
As long as you have the de-registration document from it's current country, then it should go quickly.
The OP says that the boat has never been registered, which is likely to raise all sorts of difficulty with establishing prior ownership, tonnage etc.
Old 17-07-2017, 07:51   #8

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
That sounds like a sticking point here, sounds like the boat has never had UK registration documents. For a UK resident not sailing outside the UK you need no papers / license whatsoever up to a certain size.
The OP could well get away with it in UK waters but cross to France and that all changes. Which is why the ssr register was started in the first place.
On a positive if some registration docs are necessary then it might be possible to persuade the previous owner to register (you need to be a UK resident) , doesn't cost much though more time..
Old 17-07-2017, 08:36   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35

The tonnage for a small boat can be estimated. Mine is only 5 tons but registered as 15 tons (the minimum for small boats).
However not having de-registration documents could be an issue.
Best thing to do is contact Transport Canada and let them know the situation. Tell them what documents you have, and see what they say.
The lady I worked with was really helpful and fast.
Old 17-07-2017, 13:46   #10

Quote:

The lady I talked to at the register of vessels office told me "we're taking about five weeks to complete registries right now" So I'm expecting that and will be pleasantly surprised if it goes faster. I'm sure I can keep myself busy in the meantime lots of pretty places to visit in the UK.

The boat was never registered in the UK (or anywhere else) so that may present some problems. I will send in the info and call them for updates.
Old 17-07-2017, 14:59   #11

Boat: Moody 49

I think you have this now but just in case: do not attempt to take a non registardd vessel from one country to another eg UK to Eire or France. As you would run risk of fines or even seizure.
Old 17-07-2017, 16:15   #12

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Appears that you bought a boat with dubious papers. Sounds like delays in registration are the least of your potential problems.
Old 17-07-2017, 16:33   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
There are two things you need to do. One is to deregister the boat in Britain. You will need some documentation from them to do the registration in Canada. All of this will take time, but not much work from you to do. While you are waiting you will have the British registration and your bill of sale. You can use these for any check-ins/outs you need to do. Just to be sure, register the boat in Canada with the federal government, not with a province. Some countries do not accept provincial or state licensing as a boat registration.
Provinces neither license nor register boats. Both processes "licensing" and "registration" are Federal through Transport Canada.
Old 17-07-2017, 16:36   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
The tonnage for a small boat can be estimated. Mine is only 5 tons but registered as 15 tons (the minimum for small boats).
However not having de-registration documents could be an issue.
Best thing to do is contact Transport Canada and let them know the situation. Tell them what documents you have, and see what they say.
The lady I worked with was really helpful and fast.
There is no minimum tonnage for Registration and it cannot be estimated. if under 15metres one may use the "simplified formula". or "assigned formal" or if over 15metres one must have the measurement done by a Transport Canada Appointed Tonnage Measurer.

PS. 5 tons is about average for a 30 footer.
Old 17-07-2017, 16:38   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
The lady I talked to at the register of vessels office told me "we're taking about five weeks to complete registries right now" So I'm expecting that and will be pleasantly surprised if it goes faster. I'm sure I can keep myself busy in the meantime lots of pretty places to visit in the UK.

The boat was never registered in the UK (or anywhere else) so that may present some problems. I will send in the info and call them for updates.
1-2 weeks has been normal for several years however there has been quite a back log over the last few months and 5 weeks is about right for now.

Tags
cruise

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: