Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-08-2014, 14:27   #16

Boat: 74 Westsail 32
Re: Do any Other Manufacturers do their Engine Room like Amel?

I also fell in love with the "from above" access to the engine room. This allows quick and easy to access to the packing box, seacocks in the engine room, sacrificial zinc in the back of the motor (Beta 38), and other things in the engine room you might want to get to, such as the transmission. I just installed a new engine and I don't plan on having to get to that sort of stuff often but it is nice to be able to get to it if you NEED to.

To facilitate this I bought big deck hatch and installed it in the bottom of the cockpit well. It has worked out great so far.

Sundowner Sails Again
Target9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 15:02   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I agree with the OP –
Engine and mechanical space is extremely important for long-term, long-distance cruisers.

The engine space in my boat is pretty good – access from two sides through very large doors almost the same size as the walls, and you can crawl into it and reach most parts of it ok. The cockpit floor can be unbolted if you ever need access to the top of it. It is very well ventilated with two large blowers on a thermo switch, with large ducts out the transom. It is well lit, too.

I shouldn’t complain. But . . . If I could design a new boat from scratch, starting from my boat as a baseline, I wouldn’t change almost anything about the accommodation, galley, or heads, but I would make the boat 2 or 3 meters longer in order to have more technical and storage space, especially deck storage and engine room. I would increase the engine room space by 1.5x, so that you could fully walk inside it. I would put in a work bench with vice and really good tool storage. There would be plenty of room for installing new or different technical equipment, and for storing parts and materials and fluids.

Technical maintenance is a big part of the life a long-term or long-distance cruiser. Whether this part of the cruising life is torture or not is largely determined by how accessible are the systems you need to maintain. With all due respect to the previous poster who wrote about v-belts and filters – there is a hell of a lot more to technical maintenance of a cruising sailboat than v-belts and filters.

Technical maintenance can even be a pleasure if your tools are stored in a convenient, accessible, and overseeable place, you have a complete and well-organized inventory of parts, and you have a nice place to work (read – a real workbench with a vice). So the engine room is a key space on board, in my opinion. It is a shame that cruising sailboats these days are sold by the bedroom, with technical and storage spaces squeezed until the pips squeak in order to increase the accommodation.

Old 14-08-2014, 15:22   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Some small boats that I've seen have extremely good engine access such as some Bristols and the older Tartan 30's where the cover is taken off the engine and the entire machine sits with all exposed in the middle of the main salon. My own 41 has more of a "duck" walk entry than a walk in engine room, but all sides have easy access. This is often true of smaller center cockpits that don't give up the engine room space for a walk through aft.
Old 14-08-2014, 16:00   #19

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
if i had to look at my engine on such a regular basis that a walk in engine room was attractive then I would replace the engine.Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sure, but with limited engine access how would you replace it? And with what engine that wouldn't have the same access problem?
Old 14-08-2014, 16:22   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Sure, but with limited engine access how would you replace it? And with what engine that wouldn't have the same access problem?
The ability to easily remove the engine is really a separate issue to a walk in engine room.

My yacht like some other centre cockpit boats has a removable floor to the cockpit which allows for easy engine removal, but it does not have a walk in engine room.

Amel yachts have a lot of clever features and you are wise to consider them seriously, but as others have pointed out there is not a lot of need to spend long periods with the engine.

Some boats have a "technical area" where items like watermakers can be installed for easy access often with a workshop area. This is probably of more value than walk in engine room although of course the two options can be in the same area.
Old 14-08-2014, 21:16   #21

Boat: Swan 432

I have been aboard a few Hallberg Rassy boats and both of them (around 40') had excellent engine access. We are currently shopping for a 40-45 bluewater boat and engine access is one of my must-haves. Robert Perry boats seem to be among the least accessible, the Lafitte is the worst I have seen.
Old 15-08-2014, 05:44   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

I agree with the OP Engine and mechanical space is extremely important for long-term, long-distance cruisers.

(...)
Unless they elect a sailing boat.

b.
Old 15-08-2014, 05:54   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Unless they elect a sailing boat.

b.
Very funny!

However, the reality is that other than the Pardeys, there are practically 0.0% cruisers who do not heavily rely on their engines. Most cruisers make more than half their miles by motoring, and nearly everyone uses engines for port maneuvers.

Therefore, sailing boat or not, the engine is a key component.
Old 15-08-2014, 08:49   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Very funny!

However, the reality is that other than the Pardeys, there are practically 0.0% cruisers who do not heavily rely on their engines. Most cruisers make more than half their miles by motoring, and nearly everyone uses engines for port maneuvers.

Therefore, sailing boat or not, the engine is a key component.
Well, I think it is more like 0.01%.

Still, the 99.99% clearly chose wrong boats.

If one makes "more than half their miles motoring" there is very little justification for all the expense and complexity, let alone the inherent risks, of having a mast, rigging and sails.

I think the future of all cruising is power cats.

There sure will always be that 0.01% of sailors out there cruising too.

b.
Old 15-08-2014, 16:29   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

If one makes "more than half their miles motoring" there is very little justification for all the expense and complexity, let alone the inherent risks, of having a mast, rigging and sails.

This sounds like a valid point at first, but then it omits the many hundreds of miles and hours that we have enjoyed sailing without any purpose of arriving at a destination. Sure, we're crusing and we do arrive at new places, but a huge amount of our sailing is out and about for the day and ending up where we started. I know of others who are always destination oriented and your thought applies for them. What about others here? Don't the majority of cruisers still sail about for the joy of sailing,- out for a few hours or a few days without "going" anywhere?
Old 15-08-2014, 23:24   #26

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon

I like my walk in engine / generator room

Engine is LHS of work benchClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1408166655.607853.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	86669

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-08-2014, 00:14   #27

Boat: Kaufman 47
Although not walk in.. I can get around my engine room/lazerette pretty well with a crawl and can sit up straight in most places. My boat is a non production boat, Kaufman 47, and I know of only 2 other boats like mine so don't know how many Mr Kaufman built. I intend to ask next time I contact him(along with where hull number is located /:...) I have a V-drive so I can get to most of the important things quite easily. My new engine isn't in yet but my engine space is ready for it as soon as I get home from offshore. Fresh paint and insulation all around.

I plan to try to make a small work space on that starboard bulkhead with a small work bench later on if I can while also not inhibiting egress through the hatch(one on both sides) above the bulkhead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408169607139.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	86670Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408169638568.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	86671Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408169654789.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	86672Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408169669618.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	86673
Old 16-08-2014, 12:25   #28

Boat: Tayana 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post

My engine room is accessed from the removable companionway steps and a door about 5 foot high. I have a z drive so the gearbox is at the front and can be checked easily. The oil filter and fuel filters are remotes and accessible from this location.
There is a side access from the quarter berth which is used to check water, drive belts and replace water pump. So, not a walk in but apart from tappets, injectors and fuel pump (on the side access side) I can access the routine items quite easily.
How many people carry out major rebuilds on their engines in situ?
We spent a year sailing from FL to Australia and only carried out servicing - no problem

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
engine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: