Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2011, 17:56   #31

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry View Post
I've done it three times.
Welcome to the club.

Funny how time seems to stand still as you watch the rig come down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I've done it twice, but would be willing to have another go at it if the rigger's insurance would cover it.
I've only been on a boat that lost its rig once. It was a little noodle of a rig on a Farr 40 IOR boat. I was doing the foredeck and the owner was doing the runners. When we finished our gybe the chute kept moving forward and the shroud I was holding on to started leaning toward the bow. I looked back to see what was happening and saw that the mast was floating down forward. Was amazing how slow it came down.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 18:18   #32
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
It isn't the first time, I've been on a boat when the rig has come down, but it is the first time on my own boat, it feels quite a bit different when it's your own, sorta like your heart sinking I guess.

Quote:
I've only been on a boat that lost its rig once. It was a little noodle of a rig on a Farr 40 IOR boat. I was doing the foredeck and the owner was doing the runners. When we finished our gybe the chute kept moving forward and the shroud I was holding on to started leaning toward the bow. I looked back to see what was happening and saw that the mast was floating down forward. Was amazing how slow it came down.
From interest, was that just a result of the runners being maned incorrectly or something else? I've seen a couple of old Farr 40's come down through time, and to a lesser extent 1104's as well.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 04:53   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Would be very interested to learn the source of the wire, country and producer's name. I just bought all new SS wire for my boat in the US and know it's imported (not Chinese) so now paranoid that my supplier might have gotten a lot of the same.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 05:21   #34
JJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Would be very interested to learn the source of the wire, country and producer's name. I just bought all new SS wire for my boat in the US and know it's imported (not Chinese) so now paranoid that my supplier might have gotten a lot of the same.
As soon as I find out I'll post it in here.
Old 19-01-2011, 08:08   #35

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB View Post
It isn't the first time, I've been on a boat when the rig has come down, but it is the first time on my own boat, it feels quite a bit different when it's your own, sorta like your heart sinking I guess.

From interest, was that just a result of the runners being maned incorrectly or something else? I've seen a couple of old Farr 40's come down through time, and to a lesser extent 1104's as well.
This one was from the runner's being manned incorrectly. I was beating right next to another Farr 40 when her rig just exploded. This was in SF Bay in a pretty heavy wind. It seems to me that those masts are disposable items that need to be replaced on a regular basis maybe every five years or so.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 23:03   #36
JJB

The cable/wire came from a factory in South Africa, they apparently do all their jobs made to order rather than mass produced, I couldn't extract the name of the company, but enough to say, that they have agreed to reimburse my rigger and I for the damage done to my electronics, along with the damage to the boat, rig and sails.
I don't know exactly what went wrong other than to be told, there was a break down in their QA process.
I only hope Furuno is a little snappier this time in getting stock, than last time.
Old 20-01-2011, 23:45   #37
cruiser

there is no way. It's not feasible/possible to pull wire as a 'custom order... it would be the worlds most expensive wire in the world... the steel is smelted from somewhere, drawn and treated and all that... in big fat rolls...

but, i am guessing there is some 'damage/spin' control going on right now... And if your 'rigger' is tellingyou this, then he either doesnt know how the wire is produced, or he is limiting the extent of the damage...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 00:32   #38
JJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
there is no way. It's not feasible/possible to pull wire as a 'custom order... it would be the worlds most expensive wire in the world... the steel is smelted from somewhere, drawn and treated and all that... in big fat rolls...

but, i am guessing there is some 'damage/spin' control going on right now... And if your 'rigger' is tellingyou this, then he either doesnt know how the wire is produced, or he is limiting the extent of the damage...
That was my reaction as well, it's not custom per job, they get it in substantial quantities at a time, but prefer that to getting wire from a random factory in China.
They probably are doing some sort of spin control here, in the end I honestly don't care as long as I get my rig.
Old 21-01-2011, 10:55   #39
cruiser

i understand and i wish you a speedy 'recovery', and that the check is in the mail, or better yet, they take your boat, and fix her up, replace EVERY piece of equipment and screw, and all that and return her to you in the same or better condition....

You might want to make sure you get a test results from the new wire used...

and although i understand your position, I would feel upset that someone is playing me for a fool with stories like what your rigger told you.. the rigger of all people should be on your side and be as understanding to your positon, and regardless of what he was 'told', should be shooting straight with ya'.

best of luc and please keep us posted... it is an intersting story for sure

b
Old 23-01-2011, 22:28   #40
JJB

Quote:
i understand and i wish you a speedy 'recovery', and that the check is in the mail, or better yet, they take your boat, and fix her up, replace EVERY piece of equipment and screw, and all that and return her to you in the same or better condition....

You might want to make sure you get a test results from the new wire used...

and although i understand your position, I would feel upset that someone is playing me for a fool with stories like what your rigger told you.. the rigger of all people should be on your side and be as understanding to your positon, and regardless of what he was 'told', should be shooting straight with ya'.

best of luc and please keep us posted... it is an intersting story for sure

b
I should probably quantify this a little better. The shop in South Africa, does manufacture huge bulk quantities of wire, the custom bit, is the size spindles the wire is on, to an exact amount if ordered, so it isn't custom smelted for each order. I'm sorry I spoke out of line there, I have a habit of doing so and really not fully quantifying.
They have new wire from a different shop, they tested it in the same labs at the local uni, it stood up to everything they could throw at it, so they are proceeding with it.

That aside, I stopped through the rigger, they have yet to be paid for the damage, but regardless they have well and truly started work on the new rig, and are also arranging new furlers and sails.
I'm looking after the electronics, the local Furuno agent has been really great about it too, they asked for the radar scanner back so as they could try and learn from it what they could, to try and make the scanners a little tougher, so it looses its cable easier, when the scanner was opened up after the event they found cable took the plug with it and caused significant damage to the innards of the scanner.
Old 23-01-2011, 22:46   #41
cruiser

yea, my point was that anyone who used that wire from the manufacturer is at risk...

kinda like a recall situation maybe??? not sure how they can do that, as i figure they sell spools to riggers and stores and retail and all that....

your wire cant be the only spool out of the batch that failed?

anyways, I am sure your rigger wont wait to get paid. that is between him and insurance or whomever... they are lucky they dont pay you for renting another boat????

hehehehe

and glad to hear other suppliers are working with you/together... that is a good sign of reputation points...

When do you think she will be floating again?
Old 23-01-2011, 23:38   #42
JJB

Quote:
yea, my point was that anyone who used that wire from the manufacturer is at risk...

kinda like a recall situation maybe??? not sure how they can do that, as i figure they sell spools to riggers and stores and retail and all that....

your wire cant be the only spool out of the batch that failed?

anyways, I am sure your rigger wont wait to get paid. that is between him and insurance or whomever... they are lucky they dont pay you for renting another boat????

hehehehe

and glad to hear other suppliers are working with you/together... that is a good sign of reputation points...

When do you think she will be floating again?
Yeah, I'm not sure who else they supply, but I'm told they have tested all the wire from that manufacturing run, with the same results as my rigger got, as a result got recalled and scrapped.
My rigger had no two clues that they wound up with dodgy wire so I don't consider this their fault in any way, the rig was otherwise 100%.

As to when the boat will be ready to sail again, I'm not really sure but I'll be doing quite a few trips close to shore to make nothing breaks :P
My rigger also twisted one of the local sail makers to make the required sails quick a bit quicker than what all the local lofts had been quoting, the loft he spoke is also the one we usually get our sails from, so all is well that ends well.
Old 24-01-2011, 01:41   #43
cruiser

snapped stay

so one snapped stay dismasted the main mast? serious damage so glad you have insurance,,we snapped stay on 65 main mast with pedal to the metal but luckily no dismast before we furled her in,,happen quik i suppose or you in gale winds? ah well another story for the pub,cheers
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 01:52   #44
JJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullord View Post
so one snapped stay dismasted the main mast? serious damage so glad you have insurance,,we snapped stay on 65 main mast with pedal to the metal but luckily no dismast before we furled her in,,happen quik i suppose or you in gale winds? ah well another story for the pub,cheers
It won't be my insurance paying for it, will be the riggers, anyhow it didn't happen in a gale at all, it happened in about 15 knots. The whole process took 30 seconds or so (I wasn't timing).
Old 24-01-2011, 04:24   #45

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
**** happens, sometimes the strangest things - like in this case maybe somebody flipped their cigarette ash into the wire batch just as your destined piece of wire passed by. I seriously doubt anything deliberately nefarious.
- - I had purchased a new piece of wired exhaust hose a few years back and it looked fine but 3 hours later when in use a thumb sized hole opened in the side of the hole and spewed hot salt water and exhaust fumes all over my engine room. Later upon inspection we surmised that somewhere in the shipping process, most probably, a forklift tong collided with the hose and overstressed the sidewall. I was the lucky guy to get that one piece of hose. I got another piece for free with free delivery, but was left with a salt encrusted engine room to clean. Not fun.
- - As to rigging wire, I switched to the British "Dyform" which is 25% stronger and has a flattened outer surface. It uses a different "Staylok" cone, but otherwise is the same size as normal 1x19 wire.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote