Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2019, 10:15   #1

Dishonest sellers

This forum cracks me up.

I posted that a boat that is being sold in the bay are. I looked at the boat and the seller was very honest about the conditions and issues that he knew about. Kudos tot he original seller about being honest and he was only selling a. desired brand for a killer price at $1,250. I passed on it because the cost or repairs was kind of up in the air. The boat sold later that evening.

The new buyer turns around and puts it on CL for $7,000 and outright lies about the issues, its amazing that the bulk of the forum members were like I'm the jerk for letting people know the details. If a seller was lying I"m surprised that my fellow sailing community would not want to know about it.

dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:29   #2

Boat: Sandpiper 565
Re: Dishonest sellers

As much as we like to think we're all honourable types, the operating principle of the market is still "caveat emptor".

Also, over here it's suggested that Everybody Lies. ;-)

Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:31   #3
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dishonest sellers

Maybe because he knows its a piece of crap and figures if he lets folk knock him down 3.5K they walk away happy and so is he for doubling his money.
Its all about the American Dream..

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:54   #4

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

IMHO, it is kind of naive to think most people are completely honest.
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:03   #5

Here we go. lol, duh, people in general are inherently honest. Are you going to bet your life or money on it? probably not
Old 06-01-2019, 11:54   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

So, what do you think the forum should have done in reply to your post? Share your moral outrage? Mount a vigilante group and chase down this villain? Or what?

Most folks looking for older and lower priced boats will expect to do a personal inspection of a prospect and make their own valuation. Few would anticipate that the seller would "tell it all, brother", either through duplicity or ignorance. The chap you describe sounds like a scumbag, and I'd not like to do business with him myself, but I'd likely make that judgement upon meeting him and seeing the boat. If it is in such bad shape that you turned it down at 1250$, I'd likely not be tempted at 7000, no matter what the seller said about it.

I don't think you did anything wrong with your post, apparently other CFers felt differently. Sometimes that happens on this forum: a post is taken in a different light than the author intended and feelings get hurt. This is a factor that one needs to understand if one is gonna participate here, and roll with the punch when it happens.

Life on the Internet...

Jim
Old 06-01-2019, 12:22   #7

Boat: Leopard 39

You did nothing wrong. It's just that, given the burden of legal proof and the dollar amounts involved, whoever buys that vessel for $7K will be taken, and have few options for recompense. We all know there are thieves among us, but even pointing them out by name is not likely to reform them. Some people feel like it's a downer to dwell upon it, and some might suspect you of virtue signaling if you do; but it's really nothing personal. We all wish that people were more honest, but I do believe that most people are basically good.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 14:24   #8

I replied to your other post under the impression that you have found a misrepresented boat for $1,250 and you weren't happy. The post about the $7,000 resale came after my reply. My apologies for my post, and am happy to see such warnings in the future. While $1250 or 7000 may not be a lot of money to some, it may be all the money someone buying at that level has available and the impact of buying a total lemon may end someones sailing dreams and their initiative in the future.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 15:59   #9

Yes, nothing wrong. If the original posting had been written as fully and clearly as subsequent responses, perhaps there would have been less discussion.

Thank you on behalf of the community for warning us.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:31   #10

John good point. Its always important to articulate.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:46   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When it comes to boats my default is that neither the broker or seller are honest until proven otherwise. It's a life of experience.
"The engine was rebuilt recently" Ask to see the receipts. Last time I did this the seller said: "well the guy I bought it from said the guy who sold it to him had it rebuilt". Seriously... that's what he said!!

Once I made a sheet asking the seller to certify that the boat had no history of blisters! You cant see them. They may have been filled in quick with bondo and the bottom paint renewed to look great. I always look at a boat ad that says : "new bottom paint" as likely a blister boat until proven otherwise!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote