Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2016, 17:23   #76

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 39
Re: Discounting a boat that needs a new Motor, Mast or Deck

I have read through many of the posts and wonder to myself why there are so many negative opinions of what other people post Everyone thinks they have a boat better than the next guy or girl, I certainly do But the reality is you can buy a great fixer upper and/or investment for 20K, and you can buy a financial disaster for over 100k+
Those who are not capable or prepared to put in the time, or have just too much money, don't buy a cheaper yacht. Almost any yacht can be repaired, and not at huge cost, but only if you are capable of DIY, if not, don't bother, and possibly do not comment.
An engine can be changed at possibly the highest cost, but still very reasonable. Interior refurbish repair is only an expense in material and time and not expensive, plumbing/electrics are all fairly basic once you look into it, and can be fiddly but cheap DIY.
All hulls apart from those effected by worm can be repaired, blistering is very, very common and in almost every case totally repairable unless you have no basic repair knowledge at all, or are too lazy.

A boat is a boat, if you pay someone to repair it your enthusiasm will be broken. If you take the time to research, inquire and get your hands dirty then almost nothing on a yacht is impossible to repair at reasonable or minimal cost.

I am slightly dismayed by the amount of members on this forum who seem to be boat owners, however have no knowledge about boats. If you can sail like an expert but are not a plumber/electrician/handyman/painter/carpenter all rolled into one and unwilling to have a go at repairing issues then you are just someone who owns a boat.

Everyone has a different reason for buying a yacht. So 20k or 200k, it makes zippo difference if you love your yacht.
CheoyLee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 21:02   #77

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Because a less than five year old boat (when manufacturers have been heavily under the squeeze and are desperately trying to save money) will translate into less problems? Right.....

This delivery story hit my feed this morning - take it with a grain of salt as with anything you read on the internet - but I have experienced similar just looking at new boats at boat shows. Winches & davits with undersized or non-existent backing pads, plumbing systems that are glassed in and will be a nightmare to find leaks with, and undersized rigging that I wouldn't dream of taking offshore. This all from the big ones - Beneteau, Moody, Bavaria and the worst culprit - Hanse.

n
Yes, a big grain of salt recommended. I don't disagree about the boats and their somewhat underbuilt construction practices that show up more and more, but I think this captain may be blaming the boat while he did a serious amount of damage when he got caught up in those conditions. The mere fact that he had the main up while the boat was being beaten to a complete pulp, strong enough to do all that damage illustrates that lapse of judgement, and really it sounds like things were pretty out of hand and to get back with that laundry list of damage may have been a testament to the overall boat being sufficient, and his skills also, to make it back to port from a pretty rough situation. Stuff does break when stressed that hard. But I'm guessing a lot of it happened when it hit the fan with the main up, and running too hard in too rough of seas.

My boat is 30 some years old and built solidly, but if it was getting tossed like that, I would expect some damage too. Some soaked mattresses? Sure. A few broken items? Yep. Leaky hatches? no doubt. But the mast didn't fall, the deck didn't peel, the keel stayed on, etc.
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 21:24   #78

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Quote:
I am slightly dismayed by the amount of members on this forum who seem to be boat owners, however have no knowledge about boats. If you can sail like an expert but are not a plumber/electrician/handyman/painter/carpenter all rolled into one and unwilling to have a go at repairing issues then you are just someone who owns a boat.

Ah, don't be dismayed by those lucky enough to not need to learn all that useful stuff, they can do it the easy way--credit card! It's the rest of us who become multi-talented!
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, mast, motor