Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-11-2013, 10:09   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfiddler View Post
I've been sailing most of my life with grandparents and parents on the Chesapeake Bay. I just don't have my own boat and wanted an adventure. I think 19 feet would definitely be minimal and interesting time. I was imagining that 30k would be enough to purchase small sailboat and roam around south Florida or the Bahamas for 6-8 months? The boats I've looked at so far have been in really good shape...two of them have had brand new beta motors installed in the past 5 years but they are located on the bay. I'm just considering an alternative path, like buying something in Florida, so I can avoid the winterization period and motor down.

All advice welcomed
The trip down the water way can be fun in itself too. The Catalina 27 is a good suggestion.. plentiful and I've seen them super cheap. The smaller boats would be fun if you are of the "camping" mindset. Nothing wrong with that... just depends on you. Beaching the boat and sleeping in a tent does have it's allure...
A well built stiff boat cheap is the Halsey Herreschoff designed Chrysler 26. and it's a swing keel which would be great for the bahamas/Fl.
Likely available (without trailer) at $2500-$3500 http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=599

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 18:24   #17
senior windbag

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: EndeavourCat 36
Check out a Pearson 27, the model with the winged keel. Mine is for sale up here in RI, wrong direction for you, alas. But others are selling for around $12k, maybe less. They are great boats, inboard diesel, real marine head. These were made from 1987 to 1990 or so. Ten years younger than some of the boats mentioned. 3 1/2' draft!

Old 24-11-2013, 10:26   #18

This weekend I looked at a Cal 27 and oddly enough there was an Albin Vega 27 for sale in the same yard. The Albin Vega is known for its seaworthiness (for its size) but seems overkill for my needs. Any thoughts about these 2 boats?
Old 24-11-2013, 10:41   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
I'd choose the Albin Vega in a heart beat if they are similar in condition.

They are tried, tested and true.
Old 24-11-2013, 10:42   #20

The Cal will sail circles around the Vega.
Old 24-11-2013, 10:42   #21

Send a message via MSN to cruisincanucks Send a message via Yahoo to cruisincanucks Send a message via Skype™ to cruisincanucks

If I were you I would look at either a Shark24 or a Chou Lee 27. as a beginner these vessels offer you all round great sailing capabilities , easy single handed rigs and are more solid when you screw up on your weather prediction skills.
They both will be priced well under your cap and you can't go wrong. Catalinas are notorious for weather helm and that will get you into trouble in high seas and wind IF you have a low experience level.
Old 24-11-2013, 10:43   #22

I owned a Cat 27 and I had zero weather helm problems. It was a fun boat to sail and quite quick.
Old 24-11-2013, 11:06   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggletooth View Post
The Cal will sail circles around the Vega.
Clarify. Racing, coastal or blue water.
Old 24-11-2013, 11:12   #24

My overall review of the two boats (moron version). Both were Awesome! And making me more excited to make the bad financial decision of buying a boat. If I were to buy one of these, I would have proper marine survey.

Cal 27
Pros: Standing Headroom, Newer Diesel ~3 yrs old, 4 sails (including a spinnaker), Propane Stove, Encapsulated Keel, Bimini, Tons of Space (relative to what I'm looking at)

Cons: Needs GPS is about it and not big deal

Albin Vega
Pros: Diesel ~9 yrs old, All Electronics (fairly up to date), Windvane, Bimini, Albin Vega's can go where they probably shouldn't

Cons: Headroom, Overall Size (feels lots smaller), Little more expensive

Thanks for the replies.
Old 24-11-2013, 11:21   #25

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Hey, Maybe I am crazy too but...
Lets say you score a boat for 8-10K, experience has shown that you are in for another 8-10K to get to sea. That includes licensing, registration, safety equipment, new gear, the learning curve, dock fees, mooring fees, fuel, food, and the list goes on. At the end of it all, you will be looking for another contract job to throw money at the project which is a wonderful dream.

If you really want to experience cruising why not hop aboard a boat with other cruisers as a paying guest? That way, you will actually get miles for you hard earned cash, and not have to worry about a single thing that goes wrong on the boat, none of the hassle, all of the fun, and all it costs is a good attitude, sharing in the ship's husbandry, cooking cleaning washing etc.. and probably as little as $100.00 a day for a bunk on a good boat...3 meals a day in paradise with no risk...
Old 24-11-2013, 11:37   #26

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Hi Sandfiddler,

We're in a similar position buying a 'learner' boat for my Dad and working along a similar budget to you. With limited funds and low purchase price on the boat, I assume you don't want to pay for a survey twice, so thought this thread on self-surveying recommendations might be useful for you. You'll be able to get the obvious stuff out of the way and maybe disqualify a boat without having to pay a surveyor, saving your survey funds until you find the right boat:
Surveying Book Recommendations (How-to)?

I've never sailed a Vega, but I do sail its racier Cumulus cousin. It's a bit tender (prone to heeling), but is beautifully balanced.
Old 24-11-2013, 12:48   #27

Boat: Tayana 37
Between the two, sounds like Albin is more cruise ready. Having a windvane already mounted is a BIG advantage. You won't have to stand at the helm all day or constantly run the engine to use your autopilot. Granted, the Cal does sound more comfortable, but for the money, you might be better off buying a boat that is closer to ready. Less you'll have to spend buying things yourself and more money for cruising.
Old 24-11-2013, 13:55   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
If you really want to experience cruising why not hop aboard a boat with other cruisers as a paying guest? That way, you will actually get miles for you hard earned cash, and not have to worry about a single thing that goes wrong on the boat, none of the hassle, all of the fun, and all it costs is a good attitude, sharing in the ship's husbandry, cooking cleaning washing etc.. and probably as little as $100.00 a day for a bunk on a good boat...3 meals a day in paradise with no risk...
I really wanted to have the independence of my own boat and schedule but this is definitely something to think about. To be honest, I haven't really looked at this as a possible path. I've been trying to talk my friends into coming along but people are so set in their lives, unfortunately.

Quote:
Between the two, sounds like Albin is more cruise ready. Having a windvane already mounted is a BIG advantage. You won't have to stand at the helm all day or constantly run the engine to use your autopilot. Granted, the Cal does sound more comfortable, but for the money, you might be better off buying a boat that is closer to ready. Less you'll have to spend buying things yourself and more money for cruising.
Yea. I was just wondering if the ease of use underway....outweighs the additional space and headroom. I feel like you spend more time not moving than moving but I could be wrong. The longest I have "cruised" was for a week on 40 ft sailboat. Granted, it was only cruising around the bay but I don't remember spending that much time in the cabin. Also, I remember reading something on this forum goes like "If she can't stand in the boat, she definitely wont lay in the boat". For some reason this stuck with me and makes me laugh but probably has some truth to it. Any advice from people who have cruised a Vega or similarly headroom challenged vessel would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 24-11-2013, 14:09   #29

Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft
Having just dragged my boat down much of the ICW (minus a couple of outside jumps) I second the idea of buying the boat in Florida.

Boats are cheaper in Florida and the ones here will be better suited to local conditions.

The ICW is an OK trip but takes a lot of time - if you drag the boat down the ICW you are not going to have much time left down here.
Old 24-11-2013, 14:19   #30

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I've never done a long cruise (still building up to it), but I've done many 2 day to up to 2 week cruises on boats from 26' to 65'. The only standing I've ever done inside has been to cook at the stove or oven, move from place to place inside the boat, shower, and pee (but there's a whole other thread discussing whether it's better to sit at the head). Everything else - eating, reading, hanging out, chart table work - takes place sitting. I just don't think there's often a need to stand up inside a boat and don't think you'll miss the space. I'm 6 feet tall if it helps.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: