Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 08:28   #31

Boat: Nor'star Flicka 20'
Re: Differences between 25 or 26' trailer sailors

Without a doubt, a Flicka especially if you are going to do any blue water that will take you anywhere.
3tons, 3.3 draft, 6'3" standing room. 12-40K
DolphinBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:46   #32

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhhastie View Post
I sail a 25'11" Macgregor 26S and I have been delighted with it. Check it out carefully and you might find you like it a lot.
I've sailed on them in San Diego bay. They are pleasant sailing and move well in the light winds on the bay.

I'd be concerned about one in a heavy blow, but then I sail a potter. Try that in a heavy blow

There is a Macgregor for sale near me I've been eyeing.

Good luck in your search. Also take a look at the new
Compac 22 Pilot house. I like that one as well.
Old 07-04-2016, 19:09   #33

Boat: Lots of boats.

One of my boats is a Mac 26X. Don't sail it much as I have a Cat 27 sitting in my slip. But I think its a decent all round boat that does better than most would expect. I can see over 7 knots through the water up to about 45 degrees into the wind. Gets squirrely, but remove the ballast and down wind I saw over 9 knots (but was measuring with GPS). The boat has seen up to 30 MPH under motor (with a 115 HP Merc). Another guy on another forum has seen 38 MPH with a 140 HP. Sure makes it easy to make up some time or outrun incoming weather or run up large waves. Also nice on those really hot windless days. I generate my own breeze! As I don't really trailer much and rent a truck to move it, I really wish it was a 32 footer. I love the big motor, but wish it had a little more size inside. And no, I don't want a motorboat. Owned a 32 Marinette for a very short while (and never took it out, cracked block in port engine), but appreciated the size and open layout inside. I really prefer to sail along without the drone of engines. Have read LOTS of stories of people taking these things to the Bahamas. Have to watch the weather, but being able to run right up onto the beach is a nice touch in shallow waters. I would guess that lots of people that poopoo the Macs have never actually sailed one themselves. I find too that many are afraid to heal them over, but from experience I have noticed the 26X sails even faster healed over. But then again, I'm not one to reef sails until the water is coming over the rails and it starts rounding into the wind! BTW for those that wonder, the motor uses between 3-4 GPH cruising on a plane. I have two 18 gallon stainless internal tanks (yes, it has blower ventilation) and room in the fuel lockers for two 12 gallon plastic tanks. Enough fuel to run 15 hours at a pretty good clip. Although I have never used the external fuel lockers for fuel. The internal tanks ride lower and are farther forward. At hull speed, I doubt the motor burns more than a gallon an hour.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 19:29   #34

Boat: Hunter 23.5

OP if you are looking at Macgregors, have you considered the Hunter 26 or 260? They have a nice big cockpit, nice cabin, a bit wider than the Mac. and very easy to set up and launch.
Lakehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 19:46   #35

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

scareygary no hate mail here. I have the Windrose 25 swing keel. for a first boat it is exactly what I was looking for. Learning the systems and reading this forum until all hours of the night. Thanks for the input, because I always wondered if I made a mistake. Catch me later this fall when I can espouse further.

joel
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:52   #36

Boat: McIntosh 47

If you continue to be interested in a Macgregor 26, I know of a private sale just getting started on Lake Erie of a 2004 Odin 28. Water ballast with lead swing keel and new 75hp Merc. The price will be higher but the fit and finish is superior to Macgregor. Actual wood finish inside. Single owner, older fellow with an eye for perfect condition. New bimini and dodger. Roller curling foresail. Light use. PM me if interested. Fair winds.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gone Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:49   #37

Boat: Scout 30

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/5467077770.html
https://lakeland.craigslist.org/boa/5523328057.html
https://lakeland.craigslist.org/boa/5498874940.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, sail