Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-07-2016, 08:39   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Diesel Fuel Tank Replacement

Rent a Bosch sheet metal nibbler and take the tank out piece at a time. Or just take the top off the tank enough to put a new plastic tank inside it. Being aluminum you could use a Sabre Saw with the right blades, but pretty noisy and tedious. A picture would help, even a small skil saw with the right blade cuts aluminum pretty well.
Cutting a Bulkhead would be a last resort for me. 21 gal not very big... no other location for a tank or two?

"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 09:27   #17

If you can get to enough of the tank top to cut inspection holes, what about regular tank sealer. It is used in the aviation business for gas (different formula if there is any chance of alcohol) and is used in the trucking industry for diesel. Much would depend on if you can get to both sides of the baffle. I have seen it done to a truck and it was still going years later. Call a truck supply business and see what products they offer. Might be worth a try. ____Grant.

gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 10:21   #18

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Bite the bullet and do this the right way. Determine if the bulkhead removal would actually give you all the room you need to get the old one out. If so plan on going that route. Because tank issues crop up from time to time take this opportunity to make it more accessible in the future. Manufacturers mostly do things for their convenience and not ours down the road.
Purchase or borrow a Fein reciprocating saw that allows you to cut through the bulkhead with out destroying it. (Get plenty of blades - couple types - straight plunge cuts and circular for going along a line. If done properly it can be replaced with the addition of a little trim around it and then if you need to go back in later it is just a simple matter to unscrew the panel and good to go. Leave yourself an inch or so all the way around the bulkhead for the trim to screw back onto.
Over the years I have replaced both 100 gallon diesel tanks and added on as well on my power boat. You may decide to put a fuel gauge in it while you are at it. From time to time the hoses need to be replaced due to rot etc so getting access now may be helpful again.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 19:19   #19

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Having cut out and replaced both my diesel and water tanks recently, I regret not cutting a hole in the top and using them to hold bladders

Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, fuel, fuel tank, men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: