Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 09:43   #46
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
Quote:
If you include enough rake you will lose the high aspect ratio
Not true. You don't have to lay the darn thing over, to shed a warp or net and the aspect ratio remains the same even, if it is raked several degrees. If you want a racer's appendages then you have to expect some draw backs, but you can have high aspect rudders with a small efficiency decrease, that also are capable of shedding a net or warp. We're only taling a few degrees of rake to be effective and the preformance difference though measurable is quite negligible.
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 16:40   #47

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR View Post
You don't have to lay the darn thing over, to shed a warp or net and the aspect ratio remains the same even, if it is raked several degrees.
OK, several degrees. If this is good enough to shed the line then we have a nice compromise.

It is (it would be, actually) also a fine feature NOT to have the small gap in front (for self standing foils) - I have seen lines stuck in there and next to impossible to remove. Probably a nice project to design into future cruising rudders.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 05:40   #48

Boat: O'Day 28
Attention Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR View Post
The sissies that wouldn't dare venture off shore, in a boat this light are old and scared, best left to their pajamas and sailing magazines.

I kept reading this rehash of a endless discussion expecting some testy reaction to this comment. I still think it's coming. Better grab a beer and subscribe to the thread. I think one factor is how/when you started sailing. If as a kid in a Sabot/Optimist or better, I think you'll always want performance. If you came in with some years on you and money in the bank, comfort and security come to the fore.

Most of us aren't sailing around the world, and around the edges in mostly light air is where agile, nimble sailing ability matters. And it's much more fun. Gimme the fin keel boat when the engine dies.

I think a lot of sailors would be much happier in high dollar motor homes. I know their first mates would.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 07:21   #49
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post

I think a lot of sailors would be much happier in high dollar motor homes. I know their first mates would.
...catamarans
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
displacement