Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 20:09   #1

Boat: Beneteau 323
Dennis Mc

This is my first posting as I became a member only 5 minutes ago!! I'm in the process of buying a Beneteau 323 in NY and plan on bringing it down to Va during the first two weeks of April. About 2 years ago I did the same thing with a friend but with a 32 foot 250 hp power boat. I'm back to sailboats now after a few expensive lessons. Here are my plans and anyone with more experence please advise me of any problems you see. My experence:
I've had a 25 foot sailboat on the Cheasapeake for 15 years and been on several 10 days trips here and there w/o any major mishaps, BVI bareboating a 41 foot Lagoon 5 times 10days to two weeks, helped a friend take a 46 foot searay from Savanah to Miami on the ICW and that's about it.
I thought I'd wait at Liberty Landing in NY until the weather called for SW or W winds no more than 15 knots, East or NE 5-10, and head out for Barnegat Inlet the first night, then to Cape May if the weather holds the second, through the canal to the Delaware then up and over the Cut through to the Cheasapeake. I might do it solo and think if I don't push it and watch the weather I'll be OK. Then again, I might just ask a friend along.
1. My Questions are: Is the inlet at Barnegat any problem when the weathers on the mild side? The last trip we had a couple hugh waves hit us below Atlantic City b/c the night b/f the winds were out of the NE 10-15 all night before causing the swells to crest when the bottom got shallow. I was a only 3/4 mile off shore that time! I've been told I should have gone out farther.
2. Any better suggestions for the first night considering I'll be making about 6 kts. and what ever help the current gives me?
3. Recomendations for a marina in the upper Delaware area or in the cut through?
4. Does solo sound a bad idea? I guess I'd just both like to say I've done it myself and also not have to work around someone elses deadlines or schedules.
5. Any other ideals or advice?

Many thanks in advance as your experence means a LOT to me, Dennis
Beneteau 323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 22:45   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Dennis Mc

I've done the trip 4 or 5 times, and would prefer Atlantic City to Barnegat. From there its an easy day trip to Cape May. I would look on leaving as soon as the wind comes somewhere from the north--if they predict SW it is usually right on the nose. The winds in the lower Delaware Bay can pack some pretty heavy chop if they are forward of the beam. We usually push on to the Sassafrass, but that's in a 45 ft boat.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:46   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Dennis Mc

Welcome aboard, Dennis. Sounds like you've thought it out well. Have a safe trip, and happy sailing!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote