This is my first posting
as I became a member
only 5 minutes ago!! I'm in the process of buying
323 in NY and plan on bringing it down to Va during the first two weeks of April. About 2 years ago I did the same thing with a friend but with a 32 foot 250 hp power boat
. I'm back to sailboats now after a few expensive lessons. Here are my plans and anyone with more experence please advise me of any problems you see. My experence:
I've had a 25 foot sailboat on the Cheasapeake for 15 years and been on several 10 days trips here and there w/o any major mishaps, BVI bareboating a 41 foot Lagoon
5 times 10days to two weeks, helped a friend take a 46 foot searay from Savanah to Miami
on the ICW
and that's about it.
I thought I'd wait at Liberty Landing in NY until the weather
called for SW or W winds no more than 15 knots, East or NE 5-10, and head
out for Barnegat Inlet the first night, then to Cape May if the weather
holds the second, through the canal to the Delaware then up and over the Cut through to the Cheasapeake. I might do it solo and think if I don't push it and watch the weather I'll be OK. Then again, I might just ask a friend along.
1. My Questions are: Is the inlet at Barnegat any problem when the weathers on the mild side? The last trip we had a couple hugh waves hit us below Atlantic City b/c the night b/f the winds were out of the NE 10-15 all night before causing the swells to crest when the bottom got shallow. I was a only 3/4 mile off shore that time! I've been told I should have gone out farther.
2. Any better suggestions for the first night considering I'll be making about 6 kts. and what ever help the current
3. Recomendations for a marina in the upper Delaware area or in the cut through?
4. Does solo sound a bad idea? I guess I'd just both like to say I've done it myself and also not have to work around someone elses deadlines or schedules.
5. Any other ideals or advice?
Many thanks in advance as your experence means a LOT to me, Dennis