I guess we're the only ones interested in this. And thanks for the "thanks" msg.
I guess my focus mostly comes from having been dismasted, where the skipper
did decide to let everything go. We were about 65 n. mi. from land. It was past dark, and with heavy overcast, but the water was warm enough for immersion not to be life threatening. There was not a large sea running, only about 10 ft. or so, and diminishing. The dismasting
was the third in a series of fairly major events
: a knockdown that resulted in windvane
breakage, and dodger
damage. It actually took place when we were hove to waiting for the wind
to abate before sailing in for some marina time and repairs
The mast went over the side to leeward, double-reefed mainsail
and staysail set. The furler
with the headsail was all bent over the now-bent bow pulpit. And the spinnaker
pole was mounted up the mast, so it was in the water, too. The boom was supported by the now-crushed down port side lifelines
, and the mast, which had broken off about 8 inches above the deck
, was lying vertically, bearing against the hull
. It was about 49 ft. long at that point. It did take three men
to carry it on land. I was not strong enough to be able to carry my end of it with just two of us. We got rid of it by pulliing the clevis pins, then cut the mainsheet and stays'l sheet. It was sunk in very deep water. There was no question of insurance
. Both of us were functional. The decision was made on the basis of having an intact hull
that we perceived as being endangered by the mast sawing on it, and the perceived impossibility of recovery. Access to halyards was under water, as were gooseneck, sail slide stopper, etc. I honestly don't know if recovery of it would have even been possible had we waited for daylight, if it didn't hole us in the meantime. Saving it would have saved a heck of a lot of $$.
I can see how if the mast lands across the boat, one might be able to winch
it around, and good on all those guys who managed to salvage
their masts. But, I really don't see how we could have done it in our situation, there sure were a lot of impedimenta.