Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-04-2014, 13:24   #16

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Deltaville VA to Annapolis

BTW the cruising guide you want is Dozier's Waterway Guide for the Chesapeake Bay 2013. Easy to pick up as their headquarters are in Deltaville, lol. Jack Dozier passed a way a couple of months ago, unfortunately, and I think the guide was sold shortly before, but they'll still have piles of them at Regatta Point so you can pick one up there.

Old 07-04-2014, 15:03   #17

Boat: Catalina 350

For only two days, I would make for Solomons Day 1. If you are Boat US, I think Calvert Marina charges $1.00 per foot to tie up. If you are not going to pull into a slip, you can anchor back in Mill Creek. Make for Annapolis on Day 2. It's a busy place and not a lot of places to drop the hook. Back Creek has mooring balls you can tie up to and the county will come collect $25.00 from you the next morning. If you want a nice place to drop the hook, I like the Rhode River. It is very peaceful and quiet and not too far the next morning.

If you can tack on an extra day, head up the Potomac, up St. Mary's creek and anchor in Horseshoe Bend. that was a highlight of my trip last year.

FWIW

Old 15-04-2014, 20:33   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS - 50ft

Thanks to all that provided ithe great nfo, advice and many options to consider. After a great weekend on the boat and more consideration of the trip, I've decided to give myself a longer window to make the trip and allow for 3-5 days. I'll wait for good weather to start and take my time getting there and enjoy the trip. I need to be in or around Annapolis on the 16th of May so I am open to leave any time after the 7th of May when there is a good weather report. In Annapolis, I will meet up with 3 very experienced blue water sailors who will join me in the trip to my final destination of Huntington Harbor in the Long Island Sound. The plan is to leave Annapolis on the 18th and go through the C&D canal, around Cape May and given a good weather forecast, go straight up around Montauk and then down to Huntington.
Old 15-04-2014, 20:58   #19
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

nice that will be a fun ride on the outside. can't wait to hear about it
Old 15-04-2014, 22:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconBlues View Post
Thanks to all that provided ithe great nfo, advice and many options to consider. After a great weekend on the boat and more consideration of the trip, I've decided to give myself a longer window to make the trip and allow for 3-5 days. I'll wait for good weather to start and take my time getting there and enjoy the trip. I need to be in or around Annapolis on the 16th of May so I am open to leave any time after the 7th of May when there is a good weather report. In Annapolis, I will meet up with 3 very experienced blue water sailors who will join me in the trip to my final destination of Huntington Harbor in the Long Island Sound. The plan is to leave Annapolis on the 18th and go through the C&D canal, around Cape May and given a good weather forecast, go straight up around Montauk and then down to Huntington.
I know that route extremely well having followed it about a dozen times. Key aspects of the first part are timing your leg down the Delaware river, if possible, to hit the outgoing tide, and giving the shoals off Cape May a wide berth. You're too tall to make it under the bridge on the Cape May canal so you'll need to go around. The shoals are always changing and even recent charts should not be trusted to enable you to thread your way through.

As much as I love and prefer the overnight route to Block, and Block itself is lovely that time of year, keep yourself open to the alternative of bolting up to Sandy Hook and then on up the East River. The weather might make that a more attractive option in some circumstances and cruising past the Battery of NYC is a pretty singular experience.

If you do the overnight to Block make damn sure you at least have a decent radar reflector, at a minimum. You're cutting right across some of the heaviest shipping channels on the east coast.
Old 16-04-2014, 05:49   #21

That's the plan Suijin. Take off from Cape May is good weather dependent. I have radar, reflector, sat phone, night vision binoculars, EIPBR, dinghy, genset but most importantly, the 3 guys going with me have done this several times. We'll head to Cape May and if the weather looks good for 3 days, we'll head up to Montauk. If it changes, back into NYH and up through the gate.
Old 16-04-2014, 07:11   #22

One additional point. If you end up going to Sandy Hook, do whatever you can to make it in one leg. Each of the inlets along the Jersey shore present its own specific set of dangers that are best avoided entirely if you don't have direct experience with them, particularly if the tide is running against the wind at the mouth. Definitely don't try and enter them in darkness unless it's dead calm and one of your crew has done it before.

I hope you end up going to Block. The island itself is charming and there are numerous fabulous spots on your way to Huntington from there. Shelter Island, Greenport, Essex Mystic, the Thimble Islands...you won't want for interesting places to put in.
Old 16-04-2014, 09:57   #23

Boat: Tayana Mariner 36

Deacon,
good idea to sail in more than 2 days, not that you can't make it, but you'll enjoy the Chesapeake more, and some of the great locales to anchor. But, for the record, you can easily do it in 2 days...with a single stop in Solomons.
For the Solomon's go all the way up Mill Creek to just before the Holiday Inn, or even further to stbd at that adjacent fork. This is noted a anchrages "Solomons 3" and Solomons 4" on Active Captain...you can read my review. Awesome location, use the holiday inn dinghy dock, and take a free shower.

OK, Annapolis: Anchorage in Spa Creek is great, and don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise. You can anchor right off my house, I don't care. A great location is Acton Cove, pass the morring balls (towards the "duck park"). Also right in the middle of Spa Creek further up creek is just fine, all the way up to the Park with the boat ramp.
If you drop anchor in Acton Cove, you can dinghy over to my pier for a beer...just stay away a few boat lengths, as my boat backs like crap.

To make an "easy" stop (e.g. no excess time going up rivers and creeks) between Solomons and Annaplis, go and enjoy yourself at Herrington Harbor South...all the ammenities, fun.
Otherwise, very protected anchorages abound up protected creeks on the eastern shore...the list is too long to mention.
Old 16-04-2014, 10:23   #24
Marine Service Provider

One minor correction--there is a place to stop between Solomons and Deale called Flag Harbor but I don't think there is a restaurant nearby. A great place to stop is Chesapeake City on the C and D or on the canal itself is Summit North with brand new docks and more quiet. Timing for the canal currents and Del Bay is very important...Del Bay is not usually fun and can be very difficult and unpleasant.
Old 24-04-2014, 07:05   #25

Boat: Oday30-B24

Quote:
Planning a trip from Deltaville to Annapolis either the first or second weekend of May. I hope to leave at daybreak on Saturday morning and anchor or moor before dark each night...
That should be a nice, leisurely trip… especially busted up into a couple of legs; regrettably some of the comments are correct, the western side of the Bay (at least) is not as free-form as it was even a decade ago. Can’t help with anchoring specifics as I hate to quit moving at night (did once up Pt. Lookout when my nav lights took a hike, but only once), but so long as the wind cooperates, that is a very nice trip – have fun.
Old 24-04-2014, 07:31   #26

Boat: 41' Cheoy Lee offshore

The Eastern side of the Bay has some wonderful places as well.You have Oxford,Cambridge and St.Michaels.(go the back way) But all of these offer nice quaint little towns where the people are still friendly and one can get a craft beer and one of the best cheeseburgers ever for under $10.. (and free anchorage within walking distance) In Cambridge you can dock for free and walk right to town..
Old 12-05-2014, 08:13   #27

Thanks to all for the advice. Stopped in Solomon's for the night and anchored then up to Back Creek just outside of Jabin's. Came into Annapolis about 2 in the afternoon last Sunday with 22 - 28 knt winds and threaded through 3 races. Back Creek is nice but there is a sewage plant right next to it and when the wind changes to SE, so does the fragrance of spring.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:48   #28

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:
Thanks to all for the advice. Stopped in Solomon's for the night and anchored then up to Back Creek just outside of Jabin's. Came into Annapolis about 2 in the afternoon last Sunday with 22 - 28 knt winds and threaded through 3 races. Back Creek is nice but there is a sewage plant right next to it and when the wind changes to SE, so does the fragrance of spring.
Just be happy that the McNasby Oyster Company (now the Maritime Museum) is no longer operating.

When I lived aboard on Back Creek in the '80s, they were still picking crabs there in the summer months. When the wind blew from one direction, you got the essence of the sewage treatment plant. When it shifted, it was the overheated dumpsters full of crab waste!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:49   #29

Boat: Tayana Mariner 36

I was out there same time, same wind, same races...fun times. Welcome to Annapolis.
I went in around 230-3, you should have followed me into Spa Creek, like I recommended before...I would have told you Back Creek if that was preferred. You could have anchored 3 boat from my dock in a quiet cove in Sap Creek, heck moor in my neighbors dock and wash ur boat, have a beer.
Hope you enjoyed Annapolis.

Tags
annapolis, delta

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: