Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 13:02   #16

Boat: 1974 Cal Cruising 35
Re: Deck saloon for circumnavigation

A valuable resource I have used is to go to owner's association sites and group forums for specific boats such as yahoo groups (they have many individual boat groups..Cal group has over 1000 users). Always lots of good info from owners.
msrcal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 13:02   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Why in the world would you consider something you know has a structural difficulty in dealing with the use you intend?
I know nothing. I am simply wondering. There isn't a lot of info on build quality or method on this particular boat. Research, education ask questions.....

We have 3 years (aboutish) before we buy a boat. I figure I have time to sus out ideas and learn about structure before we get around to actually consider buying anything.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 13:12   #18

Location: Most of my life has been in coastal Maine, recently relocated to Tampa Bay area
Boat: Cy Hamlin/Joel White wood Yawl, 1968, 32', "Dulcibella"

FWIW, I believe you should get out on boats, NOW, both a smaller one of your own and other boats. You cannot make any ueful decisions without experience, no matter how much you read or listen to chatter. Spend a few thou on a solid 25 or so footer, Cape Dory, Bristol, pearson, Ranger, Morgan-and so it goes-solid, safe cheap boats from the late 60s and 70s. Look at a few and you'll soon learn alot. Buy one and you'll learn alot more and when you are ready for a bigger boat, and you may decide not to be, then you'll have a bunch of experience to count on. Asking for opinions here and on the dock is worth what you pay for it-including mine-GET OUT THERE!!!
mainesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 13:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesail View Post
FWIW, I believe you should get out on boats, NOW, both a smaller one of your own and other boats. You cannot make any ueful decisions without experience, no matter how much you read or listen to chatter. Spend a few thou on a solid 25 or so footer, Cape Dory, Bristol, pearson, Ranger, Morgan-and so it goes-solid, safe cheap boats from the late 60s and 70s. Look at a few and you'll soon learn alot. Buy one and you'll learn alot more and when you are ready for a bigger boat, and you may decide not to be, then you'll have a bunch of experience to count on. Asking for opinions here and on the dock is worth what you pay for it-including mine-GET OUT THERE!!!
mainesail, and you didn't mention "Hinckley"? Shame on you!

Kidding aside, Hinckley doesn't make a "pilot house" offshore cruiser, yet the company's founder, Hank Hinckley, did! When Hank designs and builds a pilot-house offshore cruiser, you can bet your life on structural integrity and the windows being safe. Heck, it even comes with a windshield wiper! Bring on those heavy seas!

Somewhat different layout from the Islander Freeport 36, but hey... it's a HINCKLEY!

PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 13:58   #20

Boat: Van de Stadt Pioneer 930-9.3m

I suggest a lot of sailing experience before embarking on buying your own boat for a circumnavigation. It is not a day sail and requires a lot of planning as well as a suitable boat. There is far more to it than just embarking on an adventure and you have to be prepared and able to handle anything in the way of problems, repairs and weather conditions with the full knowledge that there will be nobody else to help if you get into difficulties. The better prepared and the more experienced you are the greater chance you have of having a safe and enjoyable voyage.
Tibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 14:52   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When discussing boats on the forum, I always think it is nice to see some photos of the boats. Here are a few pics of other Islander 36 boats, from 1979 and 1980 models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	108597  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 16:29   #22

Boat: Nautor Swan57rs

Our yacht is serious cruising passage maker. She has similar raised saloon, however the material for window and the way its been done is really tough stuff. The windows can also be protected with storm covers.
sepeteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 16:38   #23

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Islander Yachts have an Excellent reputation. Zac Sunderland recently became the youngest person ever to circumnavigate on an Islander 36 Sloop.

Now you just have to be sure the Freeport is what you want, and the boat you pick is solid.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 16:55   #24

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I had fairly close ties to the Islander Yacht Company - a very close relative was president of the company for many years, my father bought a new one from them and I purchased an Islander Freeport 36 when my family was young.

It was a poorly built boat, despite its Robert Perry design heritage.

The boats fiberglass lay-up was far too thin and the hull flexed badly when in heavy weather. The hull-deck seam leaked badly and was only fastened with self-tapping screws. Chainplates were inadequate for any offshore cruising. The muffler on ours was made of mild steel and had to be replaced. The boat we bought was only eight years old when we bought it and had been lightly used.

Our little family of five sailed our Freeport from San Diego, around Cabo San Lucas, up into the Sea of Cortez and back to San Diego on a 3-month cruise. We had a great time but shortly after our return we put the Islander up for sale and bought a Contest.

I think the Islander Freeport 36 is fine for coastal cruising but I could never recommend it for an offshore passage without substantial modifications. The regular Islander 36, however, is a much different boat but I've had little direct experience with it.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 17:57   #25

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Thank you nhschneider! That's exactly the stuff I am looking for!
Too bad. It's a very pretty boat and great layout. But we will be much happier with something else.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 18:43   #26

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Chris151e

Hi Sea Dreaming,
I'm writing from the salon of my Islander Freeport 36. She's my first boat, bought her two years ago to live aboard in the SF Bay area as I get ready to cruise. I'm loving' the life.

There's an excellent owners' group for this particular boat, the Freeport Owners Group, or 'Foggers', on Yahoo. You can find everything you need to know about maintaining/upgrading the Freeport and I've yet to read a snarky comment. They are very welcoming with much goodheartedness. Just today, motoring down the Oakland estuary back to slip, a gentleman in a dingy motored out alongside just to shout out, "Hey, beautiful boat, I own hull number 5!"

When I was considering buying a Freeport I talked with several owners and went out sailing on their boats. One owner in particular, Bob of 'Four Choices', was very helpful. Shortly after I met him he set sail to cruise singlehanded in both the Baha Haha and Pacific Puddle Jump. He's currently in the South Pacific and last I heard plans to sell his boat in Australia later this year. The Freeport is seaworthy, if properly prepared and maintained.

Wish you best of luck with your adventure!

Cheers,
Christopher
'KOI'
Chris151e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 19:11   #27

Boat: RIVAL 41 Cutter

The Islander Freeport 36 is a strong boat, and with its full skeg protected rudder has an excellent offshore underbody. Add lexan storm shutters and you can sail it across any ocean.
YARGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 22:51   #28

Boat: Jeanneau DS 49

Great post Neil, Take the rest of day off! Say Hi to the "Crew"
Old 09-09-2015, 22:16   #29

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
Great post Neil, Take the rest of day off! Say Hi to the "Crew"
Bill!
I've been meaning to write you! I will some day! Big squeeze to Sue! Ruthie and Corie say 'Hi!'
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 16:26   #30

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
mainesail, and you didn't mention "Hinckley"? Shame on you!

Kidding aside, Hinckley doesn't make a "pilot house" offshore cruiser, yet the company's founder, Hank Hinckley, did! When Hank designs and builds a pilot-house offshore cruiser, you can bet your life on structural integrity and the windows being safe. Heck, it even comes with a windshield wiper! Bring on those heavy seas!

Somewhat different layout from the Islander Freeport 36, but hey... it's a HINCKLEY!
You do realize that Hank Hinckley's OC sailboats had nothing to do with the famous Hinckley Yacht building company, founded by Benjamin Hinckley way back before WWII, and made famous by his son, Henry? Hank is one of Henry's sons who founded and ran his own small (OC) company and though he made some very decent boats, they aren't "Hinckley's" and weren't designed or built by the same craftsmen or in the same yard. Another son of Henry Hinckley, Bob Hinckley, eventually became president of Hinckley's and part owner for awhile before it was sold to 3 moneymen who changed the emphasis to motorboats, loaded the company up with debt, and bailed with a boatload of cash, making the company vulnerable to financial stress, inevitably leading to layoffs of many of their best craftsmen and managers, and much immediate misery in Manset, as well as even more delayed reaction misery by those who still suffer under the misconception that that same level of craftsmanship is still available or service by "the same people who built her" at the yard called Hinckley's. They've got a few good folks still left, but the vast majority of the really good ones have either retired or "been retired" or quit because they couldn't stand the cultural changes in the company.

Hank Hinckley made some good solid boats but they aren't "Hinckley's" and he didn't found or even work for Hinckley Yachts as an adult.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, deck, navigation, saloon