Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 08:48   #1

Deciding on sailplan for a new boat

Hello, I am having a hard time deciding what foresail set up to use for my new boat. The two options I am considering most closely are a standard 130% genoa or a self tacker with a code zero or similar.
I want to be able to handle it by myself but have the ability sail effectively in different conditions. I would prefer to sail whenever possible and avoid the motor if we are not in a hurry.
Also I am probably going to use in mast furling but I have been tempted by the leisure furl in boom system in order to get some better shape.
Some advice and experience about these things would be greatly appreciated.
pilotredc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:50   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Deciding on sailplan for a new boat

A lot depends on the boat and where you're going to sail. What boat are you getting and where are you sailing?
Old 11-02-2019, 09:20   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
A lot depends on the boat and where you're going to sail. What boat are you getting and where are you sailing?
Like Vasco says, it all depends. If you're on SFO Bay, you probably won't need the 130% genoa much. If you're on the Chesapeake, it might make more sense to have a 150% genoa. How big is the space you sail in? If you're able to stay on one tack for hours at a time, the bigger hassle of tacking the genoa won't matter that much. If you have to tack every five minutes when you come to the edge of the lake, the self-tacker starts to make a lot of sense. What kind of boat is it? A heavier keelboat will take longer to tack than a light centerboarder. The genoa might suit the keelboat, and the self-tacking jib could be better for the centerboarder. We need more information to provide better responses to your question.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 10:34   #4

I am taking delivery of the boat in the Med and I will cruise there for up to 18 month before the VAT becomes due then ship the boat to San Diego most likely. So no super longer distance stuff but I would like good legs. The boat is a 46 footer.
pilotredc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 12:59   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Wind has been light in the Med the few times I've sailed there. San Diego is not known for heavy wind either. The 130 will help keep you moving in the lighter stuff. On the other hand, when it blows in the Med, it can blow hard for days at a time, nonstop. If you go with the smaller jib, you can't make it any bigger when the wind dies. If you go with the bigger jib, you can furl it if there's too much breeze, and reef the main too if need be. R/F mains can be tricky - both in-mast and in-boom. Have you looked into stack pack type setups, or since you mention singlehanding, single line slab reefing for the main?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 13:12   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Hmm... you're being kinda coy here,wanting advice but not willing to give us the necessary infor to generate it. If you want useful advice, tell us:

Design of boat.
Fractional or masthead rig.
Displacement, LOA, LWL, B
Will you be willling to spend big bucks for top design sails (something better than cross cut Dacron?

With that in hand,we may be able to actually help in your decision. Without it, our advice is worthless.

Jim
Old 23-03-2019, 13:41   #7

Partial information only, but perhaps worth considering in the 130 to 150% discussions.

A very illuminating and interesting discussion on co.com for those of you who might be in the market for a new jib.

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowner...d.php?t=155362

Please read all three pages. Enjoy.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail