Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 04:59   #1

DC to Virginia Beach

Heading down to Virginia Beach in May, looking for a good Marina to stop at on the way, any suggestions.
Carrierjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:35   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: DC to Virginia Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrierjason View Post
Heading down to Virginia Beach in May, looking for a good Marina to stop at on the way, any suggestions.
There are tons of them! I guess it depends on what a "good marina" is to you. Big and expensive, close to lots of activities, small and out of the way, cheap, middle of the road, or an out of the way place where you can just anchor for free then visit the old historical town???
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:32   #3

I looking for nice cheap, places, i would not mind a place to sleep on hook overnight.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:01   #4

Boat: Seaward 22

for on the hook.....mobjack bay is great.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 15:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
for on the hook.....mobjack bay is great.
But Mobjack Bay is too close to the cities, you might want to try Onancock on the Eastern Shore to get away from the same old same old. Go all the way in to the wharf and if you do not see a couple other boats anchored there call the wharf guy. He will tell you where the free anchorage is. Also there is free dinghy parking and a restaurant and lots of arts shops. It's a town of about 2000.

The active captain website will give you all the info you need. I think the creek is 8' deep all the way in.

https://activecaptain.com/
Old 14-01-2013, 04:12   #6

Boat: Tartan 4100

Getting down the Potomac from DC will take at least 12-15 hours and you will definitely want to time the tides leaving DC to at least the 301 bridge. This will give you an extra knot and a half in your favor, otherwise that's a knot and a half against you.....a 3 knot difference for those mathematically challenged!!!
You should be able to make it to either the Yeocomico or Coan on the Virginia side, the St. Mary's or Smith Creek on the Maryland side. There's nothing else after that to anchor. there's a few good marinas if you need to plug in for heat such as Olverson's, Port Kinsale, Kinsale Harbour(all Yeocomico), Coan River YC (Coan), Point Lookout(SmithCrk), Dennis Point Marina (St. Mary's).
If you find that you can't make it that far, Colonial Beach or Cobb Island would be a good stop.
From the lower Potomac, another good day of sailing will take you South of the Rappahannock and you might be able to make it into Mobjack Bay where there are many anchorages in the rivers feeding the bay. If you think you can't get that far, pull into Broad Creek(Deltaville) and get a slip, no anchoring.
From Mobjack, you should be able to make it to Va. Beach in a day. Are you going to Rudy Inlet? Do not approach at night because of the breaking waves that you will need to surf down when going through the jetty and it is a little tricky and you will want the best visibilty for that.

What kind of boat are you taking down?
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 04:32   #7

He said he was looking for something cheap so I doubt he'd go into Rudy Inlet. Plus, Little Creek has Bay Point and Vining's where he can dock.

There are also some interesing places to stop on the Eastern Side of the bay like Oxford in Maryland (may be expensive though) then there's Chrisfield, Onancock in Virginia, then there's Cape Charles and Kiptopeke with Kiptopeke being a bit exposed but if you anchor up behind the sunk ships you should be good. Also Kiptopeke provides excellent protection from a NE wind.
Old 14-01-2013, 04:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
He said he was looking for something cheap so I doubt he'd go into Rudy Inlet. Plus, Little Creek has Bay Point and Vining's where he can dock.

There are also some interesing places to stop on the Eastern Side of the bay like Oxford in Maryland (may be expensive though) then there's Chrisfield, Onancock in Virginia, then there's Cape Charles and Kiptopeke with Kiptopeke being a bit exposed but if you anchor up behind the sunk ships you should be good. Also Kiptopeke provides excellent protection from a NE wind.
If he's going from DC to Va Beach, he's probably not going to want to venture North to Oxford and Chrisfield. Even Onancock is slight off course plus it's a good motor up the creek to the town, even though it's one of my favorites on the Bay. Cape Charles is a great choice with a new town marina and a restaurant right there. Kiptopeke can be quite rolly if the wind is contrary to the tides but it is a really neat place to anchor, dinghy ashore and hike the trails and take a hot shower.
Old 14-01-2013, 05:54   #9

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

There's also several very nice anchorage creeks off the western shore south of the Potomac: Great Wicomico River, Mill Creek, Dividing Creek, Indian Creek, Dymer Creek, Antipoison Creek, Jackson Creek (off Piankatank). Have a nice cruise!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 06:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
There's also several very nice anchorage creeks off the western shore south of the Potomac: Great Wicomico River, Mill Creek, Dividing Creek, Indian Creek, Dymer Creek, Antipoison Creek, Jackson Creek (off Piankatank). Have a nice cruise!

I love most of the anchorages off of Fleets bay! Of course, just saying this may make it too popular and then it would be hard to find a spot to drop the hook!
Old 14-01-2013, 06:39   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
If he's going from DC to Va Beach, he's probably not going to want to venture North to Oxford and Chrisfield. Even Onancock is slight off course plus it's a good motor up the creek to the town, even though it's one of my favorites on the Bay. Cape Charles is a great choice with a new town marina and a restaurant right there. Kiptopeke can be quite rolly if the wind is contrary to the tides but it is a really neat place to anchor, dinghy ashore and hike the trails and take a hot shower.
Yep, my seagoing geography was definitely screwed up there. I was thinking driving from the Eastern Shore to Washington which takes you over the Northern Bay Bridge on rt 50 etc.................it's an old age thing I think.

So, at Kiptopeke you just head on into the campground for your shower? I've hiked the trails but didn't use the shower. Of course, last time while I was hiking my kayak got taken by the tide so my swim to retreive it was my shower. (which was quite cool it being October and all)
Old 14-01-2013, 07:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
So, at Kiptopeke you just head on into the campground for your shower? I've hiked the trails but didn't use the shower. Of course, last time while I was hiking my kayak got taken by the tide so my swim to retreive it was my shower. (which was quite cool it being October and all)
Yeah, I guess the Bay's water in October could be quite invigorating!
If you walk straight up from the boat ramps, there is a bath house right there that has showers plus there are quite a few bath houses further into the campgrounds, must be at least four or so. My wife and I have camped there by car on several occasions and we have anchored out overnight about 3 times, though one of those times, we were chased out by a contrary wind/sea state and pulled out to go to Cape Charles for a good nights rest.
Old 14-01-2013, 16:45   #13

I am taking a MacGregor 26M, I will be going in May, for an IT conference.
Old 15-01-2013, 03:52   #14

Are you planning on sailing or powering? This could make a big difference in your planned stops. How about your destination? Rudee inlet? Lynnhaven inlet? Willoughby Spit? With your mast down, it really opens up where you can get into and your draft shouldn't be an issue.
Old 15-01-2013, 17:14   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
Yeah, I guess the Bay's water in October could be quite invigorating!
If you walk straight up from the boat ramps, there is a bath house right there that has showers plus there are quite a few bath houses further into the campgrounds, must be at least four or so. My wife and I have camped there by car on several occasions and we have anchored out overnight about 3 times, though one of those times, we were chased out by a contrary wind/sea state and pulled out to go to Cape Charles for a good nights rest.
Keep in mind there is the Sunset Beach Resort Hotel down the beach about a mile if you need a break from the boat or the waves and it is very rare that it's as crowded as the link below shows.

Sunset Beach Resort Hotel