Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 04:19   #1

Boat: Tayana 42 CC
Smile Dayana 42 CC Questions

Greetings from Hope, Maine,

I am new to this forum and have several questions about a 1984 Tayana 42 CC sailboat:

1. I have read that from 1979 to 1984 or so, Tayana decks were made with plywood blocks as a core for the fiberglass resin and this can result in moisture issues. Any thoughts about this?

2. Does anyone know how they sail?

3. The boat we are considering buying is a cutter rig with the jib and foresail hanked on. I am considering installing a roller fuller on the forward sail (Yankee) and leaving the smaller foresail as a hank on sail. Any thoughts on this?

4. Any thoughts on the overall quality of this boat and suggestions of things to look out for regarding potential trouble spots?

Thanks so much.

Dave from Maine
Brian Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 12:26   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Dayana 42 CC Questions

Hi Brian! Mine Tayana V42 is a 1989 aft cockpit model. You can email Ta-yang Shipyards for answers about construction for the model and year (better still if you have the hull number). Contact Wilson Chang at
tayangco@ms15.hinet.net.

My boat has plywood cored decks and they are so well constructed and sealed that I have had no issues. Of course how any 25 year old boat has been maintained is critical to its current condition.

My boat is set up with ProFurl roller furling on the fore stay for the Yankee and hanks on the staysail which is set on a staysail boom. I like this arrangement.

Over all I could not be happier with my Tayana 42 ... unless it was a newer IP 485 or a Nauticat 515😉.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 13:30   #3

Boat: Tayana 42 CC
Re: Dayana 42 CC Questions

Thank you for your helpful reply. I am gaining more confidence in the Tayana 42 and it is helpful to hear from others who know the boat. Really appreciate it.

Brian Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 20:27   #4

Boat: Tayana 42, sloop, 42
Re: Tayana 42 CC Questions

Hi Brian:
I also have a 1989 Tayana 42 center cockpit. I agree with 'Tayana42', comments and admire their well kept aft cockpit boat. ALL Tayana's are very well made, rigging overbuilt, hull like a fort, and if you consider each and every boat like these, the owners have the option of customizing parts of the interior and equipment it may have when first bought and sold. So with that, I would consider, as I did, how well the boat would hold up in extreme circumstances, whether solo sailing or with crew. These Tayana's are impressive. I have mine set up solo, sailed most of the time solo Hawaii, Mexico, Canada and the U.S. . Mechanically everything has to be of a confidence factor all the time. A used boat is just that. Even if you have the seller tell you it works fine. Be ready, that's all I can say. My boat, and I was fortunate to say the least, was when I bought it in 1995, it came to the U.S. the year after completion. The original purchaser died and the boat took probate a year to sell, having the new owner finally launch it in fresh water (Great Lakes) in 1991. So for approximately three months during their sailing season, and a few years later I purchased it in 1995, which looked immaculate as one can imagine. I still have the boat, but using it and maintaining it, but while at at sea is different than sailing a boat on weekends for the sailing season. So what I am trying to say is it is not an easy task to find the right sailboat, but strive to gain knowledge from visiting others, and if financially advantageous make the move. I have enjoyed this boat tremendously and encourage others to look and compare. For choosing a seaworthy boat, you won't go wrong, the fluff equipment is attractive for sure, but you can always adjust later for the advancements of electronics and get what you want in time.
Good luck,
Nicholas
'Eclipse', PNW.
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote