Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-07-2016, 04:19   #1

Boat: Tayana 42 CC
Smile Dayana 42 CC Questions

Greetings from Hope, Maine,

I am new to this forum and have several questions about a 1984 Tayana 42 CC sailboat:

1. I have read that from 1979 to 1984 or so, Tayana decks were made with plywood blocks as a core for the fiberglass resin and this can result in moisture issues. Any thoughts about this?

2. Does anyone know how they sail?

3. The boat we are considering buying is a cutter rig with the jib and foresail hanked on. I am considering installing a roller fuller on the forward sail (Yankee) and leaving the smaller foresail as a hank on sail. Any thoughts on this?

4. Any thoughts on the overall quality of this boat and suggestions of things to look out for regarding potential trouble spots?

Thanks so much.

Dave from Maine
Brian Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 12:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Dayana 42 CC Questions

Hi Brian! Mine Tayana V42 is a 1989 aft cockpit model. You can email Ta-yang Shipyards for answers about construction for the model and year (better still if you have the hull number). Contact Wilson Chang at

My boat has plywood cored decks and they are so well constructed and sealed that I have had no issues. Of course how any 25 year old boat has been maintained is critical to its current condition.

My boat is set up with ProFurl roller furling on the fore stay for the Yankee and hanks on the staysail which is set on a staysail boom. I like this arrangement.

Over all I could not be happier with my Tayana 42 ... unless it was a newer IP 485 or a Nauticat 515😉.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 13:30   #3

Boat: Tayana 42 CC
Re: Dayana 42 CC Questions

Thank you for your helpful reply. I am gaining more confidence in the Tayana 42 and it is helpful to hear from others who know the boat. Really appreciate it.

Brian Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: