Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2007, 12:46   #1

Cutter/sloop sail question

I have a question about sail terminology. As I read thru the cutter/sloop past threads they all talk about headsail size in terms of a percentage, e.g., a 110% Yankee, 130% Genoa, etc. I have always assumed that these percentages refer to how far back the clew of the sail is located. For instance, the clew of a 100% jib would come back far enough to be even with the mast. So my first question is whether I am correct about how the percentage expression is used. If not then the second question may be moot.
If I am correct then I would pose the following question. Take 2 boats, one a cutter and the other a sloop, and assume they are both 36 ft long. Also assume the headsail stay is located in the same place on both. Let's say that the boats are equipped with a "100% jib". My question is whether that sail would actually have a longer foot on the cutter than the sloop since the mast on a cutter is located further aft than on a sloop. Silly question, I know, but part of the learning curve.
wallm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 15:08   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Wallm,
Yes on those questions.
Maybe there is a sailmaker on our forum that can add more?
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 15:14   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
simple answer is yes. A cutter has its mast further aft. When I looked it up on Wikipedia it said:

"Traditionally the sloop rig was a rig with a single mast located forward of 70% of the length of the sailplan. In this traditional definition a sloop could have multiple jibs on a fixed bowsprit. Cutters had a rig with a single mast more centrally located, which could vary from 50% to 70%of the length of the sailplan, with multiple headsails and a reeving bowsprit. Somewhere in the 1950's or 1960's there was a shift in these definitions such that a sloop only flew one headsail and a cutter had multiple headsails and mast position became irrelevant."

Bob Perry (designer of many cutter rigs) said that a cutter needed to have the mast att he 4th station. I don't know where the 4th station would be and would think that it varied with design of boat.

my boat has a J (length from forestay to mast) of 17'8" and an E (length of foot of mainsail) of 13'0". By this definition a sloop has a much smaller headsail than a cutter.

Of course there is the Slutter rig. This is a name heard from a friend of mine Brian O'neil SV Shibumi. It is a sloop with an inner forestay rigged but the mast in position of a sloop.

Don't know if I helped but I was researching this exact question this morning.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 15:32   #4

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallm
... I have always assumed that these percentages refer to how far back the clew of the sail is located. For instance, the clew of a 100% jib would come back far enough to be even with the mast. ...
That is close, but not quite right. Take a look at the picture here Sail Measurement Assistance at the LP measurement diagram. The 100% refers to the LP vs the J. This approximates a 100% jib having its clew at near the mast, but it is measured a little different.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 16:27   #5

Charlie and Paul are both correct. And, the use of a bowsprit can significantly alter the affect of mast placement:

slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 16:54   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
slomotion,

It would appear both our boats are similar enough to be sisters.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 17:21   #7

The boat in the picture is a Bayfield 36 - not mine. And yes, it is a Gozard design:

http://www.wind-borne.com/AboutUs/Bayfield36Spec.PDF
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 17:32   #8

Cutter v sloop headsail

Thank you to Paul for the reference diagram. I now understand the percentage calculation. The reason I brought up the original question is that while going thru old threads about the characteristics of cutters vs sloops I noticed a couple of cutter owners talking about their 130% Genoas. This just seemed like a lot of headsail for a cutter but I guess it depends on the boat in question and perhaps the presence of a bowsprit. I think that some of the cutter owners with a 130% Genoa are actually sailing their boat as a sloop, i.e., not routinely using the staysail. Is that why they might want such a large headsail?
wallm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 17:54   #9

Much of the advantage of a cutter is in sail selection, not in flying all sails at once. Except on a close reach, the staysail and the foresail are probably not going to fly together. You can search on the cs-bb board and probably find some good discussion from Bob Perry on his thoughts about optimum rigs for performance and when a staysail makes sense. Can't get it the info from anyone more qualified.

Paul L
Old 27-03-2007, 19:05   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Just to add

Some sloops are set up as cutters at times. A tempoary second forestay is rigged with a turn buckle or adjustable pelican hook when the staysail needs to go up. On mine it is used for heavy weather sailing. I furl in the genoa and hoist the staysail and reef the main down 25%. That puts the COE back over the COR balancing out the rigging and reducing the heeling/weather helm.

Slutter rigs??? I've had the impression that they were with two forestays but with the smaller jib being forward, usually run from a bowsprit.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 00:19   #11

As above...but some cutters are set up as sloops at times. : ) Mine has a removable baby stay. It also has running backstays OR permenent intermediate lowers !! Its a fiddlers fun factory.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 06:38   #12

hey Paul L what is cs-bb sight & how do you get there?
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 09:48   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
CSBB Forum < http://www.cs-bb.com/forums/CSBB/index.cgi > is maintained by Sailboat Owners.com for owners sailing production sailboats, where there are numerous other forums.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 11:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d.
hey Paul L what is cs-bb sight & how do you get there?
http://www.cs-bb.com
Old 28-03-2007, 11:56   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
COE back over the COR
OK, so COE=centre of effort??
What's COR ?? centre of rig??

So how does position of mast affect boat as in handling, balance and sailing. Is a cutter better than sloop? and is a ketch better because it is balanced by the Mizzen?
I realise that's a big question.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter