Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 11:11   #1

CT 34

Does anyone have any info on the CT 34 ? I believe only a limited number were built. Any advice would be helpful.

Would you consider it a bluewater boat?

I noticed that the cabin top is wood inside and fiberglass outside as opposed to wood cored. Does this compromise the integrity/strength at all?

I also have heard that there is a foam coring in the haul for insulation, but thick fiberglass outside and about 1/8 inch fiberglass inside. Any thoughts on this?
jpcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:45   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha JP,

Cored hulls have sometimes developed areas where moisture has integrated and therefore are never dry. I didn't know that CTs had cored hulls. The cabin tops, sides and decks too might be glass over ply in the CT. If there is no dry rot (soft spots) then it is an acceptable way to construct. Even if there is a soft spot it can be cut out, new marine plywood installed and glassed over with epoxy making a stronger than new repair.

The CTs were considered bluewater boats but haven't been produced in a lot of years.

Regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 14:34   #3

would you consider this to be a bluewater capable boat? I am just trying to get another opinion, make sure I am not just falling in love with her.

also, how much would you pay/offer for this

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale=
Old 22-10-2007, 14:55   #4

Boat: CT54
Ta Chiao (CT) is are still producing there CT56 and CT65...both Robert Perry designs.
TaChiao Bros. Yacht Building
I have never heard of a CT having a cored hull but admit that I know very little about the CT34.
We currently own a CT54 and it is definately considered a bluewater boat.
lLIFE ABOARD THE CHROKEVA: THE BOAT - CHROKEVA
These boats are not without there issues and maintenance is a serious consideration for anyone looking at one of these boats. I think one would have to consider how the boat was maintained previously before deciding on price.
Good luck!
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 15:49   #5

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I am a bit familiar with the CT37, a boat I used to love - a great blue water boat - but like most of her design, not so fast in light air. If the CT34 is anything like the 37, you better learn to like maintaining teak. Somewhere I seem to recall that CT's were prown to leaking problems, however in my experience, past a certain age most boats are prown to leaking problems, note the name of my boat.

CT34 Crumpet, cutter rigged sailboat built in 1977 by Ta Chiao, CT-34

Ta Chiao 34 for sale, sailboats for sale, used sailboats
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 12:33   #6

Boat: Tanton (CT), 44, New Sensation
I am also not familiar with the CT 34 but the link below has some interesting information about the boat from multiple sources. I have a CT 44 (Tanton 44) and and have been pleased with both the design and the quality. The first owner did Blue Water Cruise the boat and it is none the worse for wear.

CT34 Crumpet, cutter rigged sailboat built in 1977 by Ta Chiao, CT-34
S/V New Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 13:58   #7

Hi
We are owners of Morning Star CT34 #19
She was also mamed Manguny and Osprey according to the doccumentation record, we keep her at Shelton WA. and are progressing on the refit with custom stainless railings and sternplatform complete with a Monitor vane. New sails from Schattauer Sails and many other items to improve both comfort and ease of handeling. The CT34 is an easy vessel to sail and handle both alone or with additional crew.
Fair Winds
Steve and Susan
marlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 08:43   #8

Steve and Susan,
Thanks for the reply. What are your plans after the refit? Do you plan to cruise, cross oceans or coastal? Have you noticed if your hull is cored? Do you have any suggestions of things I should look at before making any decisions?

Any advice would be helpful.
Old 19-11-2007, 20:55   #9

jpcraw

Our plans, in 6 years we hope to retire early and go crusing we plan to go south to Mexico and depending on how crusing life agrees with us travel west and south then who knows. Morning Star is hull # 19 built in 1977 she has a solid fiberglass hull no core the cabin house is also solid a layup withan insulated space then plywood veneer, the decks are cored with solid teak blocks. Other than the teak plywood lining the cabin house all wood used in construction was solid teak . Things to look closely at should include the chainplates these are bolted to teak blocks then glassed to the hull, this is one of my next projects to undertake I plan to duplicate this construction with the change to bronze chainplates as they dont react to an oxygen starved enviroment as does stainless steel. We have replumbed everything on board and are begining to rewire also as these systems are 30 years old. We replaced the spruce mast and boom with aluminum and at the same time all standing and running rigging. We repainted with awlgrip and at this time removed the club boom on the staysail and redid the cabintop rigging with t-track and new sail controls. We built a new boom gallows with a traveler mounted 6" above the deck just aft of the cockpit well, this moved the mainsheet foreward about 2'6" to achieve a better sheeting angle. New railings and Sails built by Schattauer Sails in Seattle plus a dodger round out the recent projects that we have undertaken she is looking like a new boat. If any other questions just fire away.
Fair winds
Steve and Susan
marlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 11:21   #10

Boat: Mariner 31 #9 - 'Architeuthis'
I think I saw that boat online too and liked the looks of it. From what marlers said above, it sounds like all the wood in the cabin is teak so it shouldn't be a problem. I looked at a Mariner 40 awhile ago that had a cabin built of plywood that was glassed over. It initially looked pretty good but I stuck my head way up inside the closet just aft of the V-berth and looked up where the deck meets the hull. The wood was rotten and crumbled when I touched it. There was another rotten section on the port side as well. Anyway, you probably already know this but I'd just advise that you should always be sure to bring a flashlight and a small flathead screwdriver when you go to look at a boat and look for places where you can access the underside of the deck and poke around. If your screwdriver sinks into the wood easily, you should be concerned. You can also thump the top of the deck with the handle of the screwdriver and listen for dead spots where there could be delamination problems. Of course if you're like me and rather new to all this stuff, you might be a little unsure on how to interpret the sounds you're hearing but at least it makes you feel like you're doing something.
Architeuthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 15:55   #11

CT 34 #19

Hello Steve & Susan,

My name is Scott, and I owned your boat back in the early 90's. The dream, of course, was to take her cruising, but life tends to throw curve balls when you least expect it. I'm delighted to hear that she's being refurbed, and will be heading south at some point. She deserves that!

I have some history on her, if you're interested. I loved that boat, and was sorry to part with her. Good luck on your adventure!

Scott
BlueSea Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:50   #12

couldn't part with it

I had a ct34. I spent many a happy day on the open seas. I thnk I took it out over 150 times. I decided to sell it. It was a mistake. Everyone in the family including myself grieved. So i had the opportunity to buy it back and just recently it returned to my dock. It's a little sluggish in light winds but oh so stable in heavy seas. Great boat!
papanini08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 10:20   #13

I also own a CT34 and love it... if anyone has any question, I've just spent two year refitting here so I know here inside out. Unfortunately I am force to sell here...
I'm sure I will regret it www.theparrotct34.com
gabrielcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 14:52   #14

CT34

The Ct34 is a little sluggish in light winds. Has anyone made any modifications to get a little more speed out if it?
papanini08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 17:34   #15

I like the look of the CT-34, but know nothing about it. As a member of the Blue Water Cruising Association in Vancouver, Canada, I see that we have two CT-37's listed in our directory. Can somebody give my the low-down on the 37? Is is a scaled up 34?
Solosailor is offline   Reply With Quote