Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 13:50   #106

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Crusing on a J 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
If you looked a little more carefully you would note that the OP, since starting this thread way back in 2015, has bought a boat. A fairly big one. His family lived on my dock till recently. Nice people, seriously intent on educating themselves properly and going cruising. Exactly the sort of folk who should be getting info and encouragement here. Not negative feedback. Not "wastes of time".

What boat did he buy? Couldn't see on thread

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 13:51   #107

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

We bought a Wauquiez Amphitrite.

Scott

www.sailingmango.com
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 13:52   #108

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
What boat did he buy? Couldn't see on thread

Never mind just saw amphritite 43 same as fatty goodlander I think. Very different than J44 and a great sea boat

malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:46   #109

Boat: J/44

I know this is an ancient post, but I have read through every reply and feel I would be qualified to comment. My family currently owns “Phantom” hull #45, J/44. My wife and 2 daughter (5 & 11) are cruising right now and we cannot comprehend the vast majority of the comments saying the boat is too big/powerful/or too complicated to sail. I have routinely single handed the boat in 25 kts. There is no difference in handling our J or a cruising ketch, cutter, or yawl. Same number (or fewer!) lines. I have sailed to New Zealand from Seattle on a Fantasia 35 before and cruised extensively throughout BC on a Hylas 44. “Phantoms” motion is MUCH more pleasant on any point of sail than the Hylas, or a full displacement classic cruising boat. For us the J/44 is the PERFECT express cruiser. We have a water maker and Monitor vane with emergency rudder. So that pretty much takes care of the tankage and spade rudder concern. We typically 1/2 the TWS up to 25 kts. When it’s blowing 22 kts we are sailing at 11kts on a beam to broad reach. Who needs 200 gals of fuel when you have a boat can actually sail? When I read the majority of the posts it seems people generally comment from a point of classic/traditional being the only option. This may have been the case in the 60’s through 80’s when spindly fractional masts with jumpers/checks/runners and narrow IOR sterns made for squirrelly and fragile boats. The J/44 is clearly not cut from the same cloth as these. Just remember people have circumnavigated in A LOT more and certainly ALOT less. Just because a boat should have a crew of 8-12 of be competitive around the buoys doesn’t mean it can’t be cruised efficiently and quickly by 2.
Hope this post clears things up for a prospective J owner. Fair winds,
S/V Phantom
J/44 #45
S/V Phantom—1991 J/44 #45
JPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 18:14   #110

Boat: Norseman 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhantom View Post
I know this is an ancient post, but I have read through every reply and feel I would be qualified to comment. My family currently owns “Phantom” hull #45, J/44. My wife and 2 daughter (5 & 11) are cruising right now and we cannot comprehend the vast majority of the comments saying the boat is too big/powerful/or too complicated to sail. I have routinely single handed the boat in 25 kts. There is no difference in handling our J or a cruising ketch, cutter, or yawl. Same number (or fewer!) lines. I have sailed to New Zealand from Seattle on a Fantasia 35 before and cruised extensively throughout BC on a Hylas 44. “Phantoms” motion is MUCH more pleasant on any point of sail than the Hylas, or a full displacement classic cruising boat. For us the J/44 is the PERFECT express cruiser. We have a water maker and Monitor vane with emergency rudder. So that pretty much takes care of the tankage and spade rudder concern. We typically 1/2 the TWS up to 25 kts. When it’s blowing 22 kts we are sailing at 11kts on a beam to broad reach. Who needs 200 gals of fuel when you have a boat can actually sail? When I read the majority of the posts it seems people generally comment from a point of classic/traditional being the only option. This may have been the case in the 60’s through 80’s when spindly fractional masts with jumpers/checks/runners and narrow IOR sterns made for squirrelly and fragile boats. The J/44 is clearly not cut from the same cloth as these. Just remember people have circumnavigated in A LOT more and certainly ALOT less. Just because a boat should have a crew of 8-12 of be competitive around the buoys doesn’t mean it can’t be cruised efficiently and quickly by 2.
Hope this post clears things up for a prospective J owner. Fair winds,
S/V Phantom
J/44 #45

As long as you don’t hit anything and the keel sump doesn’t crack. I thoroughly enjoyed cruising a J 44 for several seasons in Mexico. But the keel sump had been reinforced! Our friends J 44 sunk three days north of New Zealand, they could only figure the keel sump cracked, it went down in 45 minutes! I was on the Pacsea Net that day, relaying when the emergency call came through!