Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-02-2015, 15:21   #61

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Crusing on a J 44

I am guesing that most will stipulate that the J44 is a great sailboat, as long as any of the build issues are resolved. The question is, is it for cruising. I'd take it over a Westsail but it still wouldn't be a first choice. I'd just say, sail it first, on all points in a variety of conditions. If you don't mind the way it feels going to windward in a steep chop, and you can keep a grip on it off the wind and/or shorthanded, then it is probably a good choice for you. (Bring a spare rudder! But then that's just my own personal issue with big spade rudders on cruisers.)

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:36   #62

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

After thinking about it, I am going to take back what I said, (mostly.) I may have been overly resistant to being discouraging. (How's that for a double negative.) In thinking again about your original post, what you want to do, and considering all involved with this boat, it is clear this is not the right boat for you, no matter how beautiful it is or how fast it will go.

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:51   #63

Boat: Simpson Slipstream 50 Catamaran

I didnīt read every post here, but;
The Jīs heel over big time! Not for everyone, and the NKE can be confusing sorting out.
Old 07-02-2015, 13:31   #64

Boat: Voyage 440 Owners Version

I also went back and read your original post especially the pros and cons part.
Have you thought about catamarans?
Oh boy, this may cause some trouble among the ranks but seriously cats would give you more of what you are looking for and NEED with dogs, big family etc.
There are pros and cons with every boat......even if you are talking about a Gunboat or a 125ft. Wally.
Pick wisely to fit your needs and budget and not your ego or esthetic appeal. J44's are sexy and fun to sail but honestly not the boat for you.
The J 40's are time tested and also great boats and more on the cruising side not to mention the 42 which is even better.
Again I wish you well.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:19   #65

Boat: Nordic 44

SM,
As you sit down in brokerage office, chances are you will be sitting in front of a guy who has done nearly the exact same plan nearly 10 years ago. His budget might have been bigger than yours and he is not desperate for his commission check. He is a little reticent at times, but has a wealth of experience and knowledge of thing's nautical and familial. Suggest you exploit this resource at this opportunity.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-02-2015, 20:48   #66

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

I know you like the J44 but to be honest I'd look into a C&C 41 before a J44, they're more sea kindly and a smoother ride. There are also some Tartan models that will still give you a turn of speed without beating you up as much. As I said before I've sailed similar boats and in rough conditions they tend to pound, also, without a number of years racing you wouldn't be able to get the most out of it since you would need to know how to best optimize the sail trim and rig tune. There are so many adjustments you can get lost easily.
It's a boat for the performance sailor who's had that experience and wants to cruise too.
In racing my own boats and crewing/ transporting other race boats I can tell you it's a steep learning curve that never ends.
If cruising with the family pick a boat that will satisfy your performance cruising goals without stressing you and your family out.
My wife crewed on a custom built race boat for years, basically a 40 foot racing dinghy, very light, very fast, deep draft and very tuneable. Moving the base of the mast 1.5 inches to adjust the rake of the mast was worth 10 seconds per mile and made tacking much faster and easier with better acceleration out of the tacks, of course you'd have to know to do that, but thats how fussy race bred boats are. When I got my last C&C i wasn't comfortable with it's upwind performance or tacking, I completely went through the rig, re-raked the mast, re-tuned the standing rigging, went through every tuning trick I knew, upon taking the first sea trial afterwards the difference was like sailing a whole different boat. But that takes years of sailing experience to know and to intuitively feel, if you don't have that depth of experience your going to get the downside of the shortcomings of that boat without the plus side. Otherwise your going to be hiring someone who can, which only adds to the cost.
A more forgiving design will give you just as much pleasure without the pain, and how comfortable is your wife with taking midnight watches on a finicky boat? Mine raced for 14 years before we decide to buy a cruising boat, she basically told me flat out she wouldn't do it on a more performance oriented boat. Do I love fast boats? You bet I do, but I'm going cruising with the family, not with my beer drinking buddies, it makes a huge difference.
Old 09-02-2015, 23:19   #67

Boat: Wauquiez Amphitrite - 43' Ketch

Our minds are made up thanks to you all - no race boats.

Yes, we have long considered cats, and they still rate high for us. In no particular order the boats we are considering:

Seawind 1000
Lagoon TPI 37 and 42 (I hear what you all are saying about TPI - be careful)
Stevens 47, but maybe tough egress/ingress for dogs
Next week we plan on looking at a wauquiez Amphitrite

Firmly cruisers, but no slugs. Maybe the Amphitrite, not sure yet.

Other boats we have looked at:

Lafitte 44 - wonderful galley, good sea boat, but the layout didn't work. Not enough windows to see out, and the kids were not thrilled with the aft cabin.

Formosa (Peterson) 46 - hit my head in the galley, deal breaker (I'm 6'2").

When it is late at night, and my wife is asleep, I fantasize about the two Downeaster 45 schooners on the market. Schooner....

Again, many, many thanks for all of your thoughtful comments.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-02-2015, 09:04   #68

Ever considered a Hylas 49? They were semi-custom boats with several layouts available, it's the boat that first sold my wife on center cockpit boats.
There are a number of performance cruisers out there in both CC and Aft Cockpit configurations which would suit your purpose.
What is your budget, by this I mean total budget for purchase and refit? It narrows down the field a lot.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:07   #69

Hylas 49 - oh yes. Unfortunately they tend to be out of our budget. I would like to get out of this for $200k or less after fixing issues.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:57   #70

Dang, same reason, we couldn't afford one, we really liked the Hylas but it was just enough out of range that we couldn't justify it. We'll roughly be in for about $160,000.00 total on the CL 47 when we're done with new electronics, sails, teak decks removed, engine rebuilt and hull painted. Fortunately I am able to rebuild the engine myself and do the hull and electrical/electronics work, the only thing I can't do is the sails.
It all goes into the figuring when refurbing a new/old boat. Having done this before I'm more realistic about the hours involved in refitting, I pretty much know what my schedule's going to be for the next two years. Groundhog Day.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:58   #71

I did see some Hylas 46's and 49's for less last year when the economy was still down but they seem to be coming back up in price.
Old 10-02-2015, 13:11   #72

Check out the Moody 422/425 or newer 44. If you are into CC boats Dixon was a master at design for these layouts. I don't suppose there are that many around the USA but they are very good sea boats and a reasonably quick passage maker.
Old 10-02-2015, 13:47   #73

Boat: Tayana 37

Tayana 42 maybe? Not sure how it would work for you height wise, but they came in both CC and aft cockpit configurations and have a reputation for fast passages.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 10-02-2015, 21:39   #74

I'll take a look at those. One thing that is important to us is dedicated space for each kid. Doesn't have to be a full on cabin, but a pilot birth or captains birth mid cabin like on the Formosa 46 as a third cabin would be good.

Old 11-02-2015, 00:48   #75

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Its not a J44... but a proper cruiser...

GL

1987 Hudson Force 50 Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Here is another lovely cruiser...

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985...n#.VNsKwEKwyD4

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: