Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 15:31   #1

Cruising to New Zealand/Australia

Ahoy,

I have been actively sailing the SF Bay for 35 years along with charters and a handful of Baja Haha's. I am taking the steps to prepare myself for a 1.5 year journey across the Pacific safely. My plan is to purchase a 1995-2000 Beneteau or Jeanneau 42' or so for the cruise. I will turn 60 in 2018 and plan to depart down the California coast to Mexico. In March/April, I will depart for the Marqusees and then continue across the South Pacific. In September, I plan to head to NZ for 3 months. And then in January 2020, head up to Sydney and sell the boat and fly home. I have been hearing that these boats have a large demand in Sydney and it should not be too difficult to sell there. With this plan, do any of you see anything I might be missing or have not thought of? Some sailing friends will be joining me for the cruise. Thanks for your help and insights.
fungod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 15:52   #2

Re: Cruising to New Zealand/Australia

September is a bit early for heading to NZ...it's still winter there (think March in N. Hemisphere). Late Oct to early Nov is a more common time for moving from Tonga or Fiji to NZ.
richard_wb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 15:54   #3

I agree, Looks like I will need a 6 month visa for the south pacific. The 3 mos. won't be long enough. Thanks.
fungod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 15:58   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

No such thing as a "visa for the South Pacific". Lot's of independent nations there which each have there own requirements.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 15:59   #5

You get three months in Fr. Polynesia by default. Then you can stop at Cook Islands, Niue, Tonga, Fiji if you still have time, each being separate countries with their own visa clocks.
Old 05-01-2015, 16:00   #6

Noonsite.com has all the country-specific visa info.
Old 06-01-2015, 14:34   #7

Boat: Compass Innovator 33

It's a minor point but I believe that US boats do not have the 240volt shore power that is the Aus standard. This and other possible incompatibilities will mean a lower retail price than local offerings. I also think someone would need to pay the import tax on the boat if it stays in Aus. Maybe another ten percent lose to you. So if capital cost recovery is vital check those type of issues.
rajcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, cruising, New Zealand