Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2016, 03:46   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Cruising monohull $65-90k

hahaha
I see Dulc had the similar thought...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 05:53   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Catalac, Prout, Oceanic, Gemini etc, Heavenly twins, PDQ, Woods designs, Wharrams etc.. There are a fair amount of seaworthy cats for sale sub 100K if you look around. Older but if a Cat was wanted, can be got in good condition. From 26 foot to 40 foot. A couple of Catalac 10s and 12s for sale currently at @ 60K.. 40 foot of luxury at a bargain price... All will do for the cruising areas planned.

I even saw a FP Mahe for sale in Mallorca 2 months ag, tatty interior (kids) but great hulls and equipment all in good order...he would have taken €88K. (Sold now).

But yes, newer and cheaper for a mono in that price range. As the PO is not insisting on a Cat, the mono choice is wider.

Atoll would not be building the Prout if it was not seaworthy.... I have always been prejudiced toward them for a number of reasons, and yet of late and after a couple of visits to see them, My prejudices are unfounded...
So you agree, not all catamarans in his price range would be considered seaworthy, and seaworthiness should be considered when shpping catamarans in this price range, especially at the lower end of the price range.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 06:29   #18

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

There are a lot of good boats out there, some need a lot of love and some not as much;

CSY Walkover Pilothouse sailboat for sale in Florida fits your mark IMHO. 5' draft, lots of cruising goodies and a swim platform.

Here is one at the top of your budget but newer, it's only weakness in my book is the green engine.

2005 Dufour Yachts 385 Grand Large sailboat for sale in Outside United States

You might find a good cat in your price range but your choices will be fewer.

A project but at $60K - I would look at it long and hard if I did not have my T42. Maybe 5 or 10 years down the road.

Simpson 44 sailboat for sale in Florida

You can also find a good number of Geminis in the under 100K range but I am not sure I'd cross in one just due to storage limitations.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 06:37   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
So you agree, not all catamarans in his price range would be considered seaworthy, and seaworthiness should be considered when shpping catamarans in this price range, especially at the lower end of the price range.
YOu mean like as in not all monos in his price range would be considered seaworthy?

There is not a single Cat I mentioned by manufacture that is not intrinsically seaworthy. It is down to the individual vessel and its state of repair, that goes for Monos as well. Catalacs have crossed the Atlantic many times on their own bottom.

I do not really understand why 'seaworthiness' in reference to Catamarans has become an issue here. Most of the vessels mentions can be bought sub $50K. That would be at the lower end of his price range.

Here is a random look at the US Catalac results that came up.
catalac Boats For Sale

I most certainly would not have a problem sailing a Catamaran mentioned above from the UK to the Med and further in this price range or size from 27foot, and know from others who have sailed them more extensively that they felt safe and the boat handled well. A lot of space in a small boat. Some dont like the motion either at sea or at anchor, that is an individual choice and I know Ann Cate and yourself are in that camp.

Incidentally, congratulations on getting the ICC.
Old 18-08-2016, 06:48   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
YOu mean like as in not all monos in his price range would be considered seaworthy?

There is not a single Cat I mentioned by manufacture that is not intrinsically seaworthy. It is down to the individual vessel and its state of repair, that goes for Monos as well. Catalacs have crossed the Atlantic many times on their own bottom.

I do not really understand why 'seaworthiness' in reference to Catamarans has become an issue here. Most of the vessels mentions can be bought sub $50K. That would be at the lower end of his price range.

Here is a random look at the US Catalac results that came up.
catalac Boats For Sale

I most certainly would not have a problem sailing a Catamaran mentioned above from the UK to the Med and further in this price range or size from 27foot, and know from others who have sailed them more extensively that they felt safe and the boat handled well. A lot of space in a small boat. Some dont like the motion either at sea or at anchor, that is an individual choice and I know Ann Cate and yourself are in that camp.

Incidentally, congratulations on getting the ICC.
Thanks

You seem to have joined the overly defensive camp regarding catamarans. There's nothing errant about advising someone to consider the seaworthiness of a boat at the bottom of a price range.

BTW, I wrote that I didn't care for the motion in an anchorage, but that I'd probably get used to it.

Oh wait, I just re read the first post. The OP isnt even considering catamarans, how were you guys able to shift his inquiry into a Cat vs mono debate? Lets try to get back on track.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 07:18   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks

You seem to have joined the overly defensive camp regarding catamarans. There's nothing errant about advising someone to consider the seaworthiness of a boat at the bottom of a price range.

Yes Ken there is nothing errant about advising people to consider the seaworthiness of a boat. However you didnt. You specifically targeted Catamarans, unless of course you joined 2 ideas together and didnt finish the first thought and then conjoined the sentence with the second thought.

Quote:
With a budget of only 60-90k USD for a small live aboard catamaran, yes seaworthiness will be an issue to consider.
Im not overly defensive regarding Catamarans. Im more pro them being assessed as a sailing vessel with pros and cons and as an equal to a mono. Ultimately, people will have their prejudices and their preferences. However, Its best to have REAL facts on hand as well.

I wish a successful conclusion to the search for a boat and I hope they will be happy with it. A lot of boat can be got for sub $100K.

I dont recall being one of 'you guys' turning it into a cat versus mono debate. I recall you being 50% of the discussion by your sentence as noted above...
Old 18-08-2016, 07:45   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

I nearly jumped in to offer a HR36 then I noticed you love Northern summers BUT you want to sail in the BVI / Bonaire. So I do not think you want a teak deck in the first place.

Still, have a look at HR to see what 90k buys you in Europe:

Hallberg-Rassy 36 Mk II

Back to your actual query, what do you think of boats like Pacific Seacraft 37? Or perhaps a clean Tartan?

If you actually prefer modern boats, you will have zero challenge finding a Hunter/Bene or anything like this, in this price bracket. The market is flooded.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 07:47   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

boatshed.com or apolloduck.com will give more choice than you ever wanted.
Old 18-08-2016, 08:16   #24

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Thanks

BTW, I wrote that I didn't care for the motion in an anchorage, but that I'd probably get used to it.

Oh wait, I just re read the first post. The OP isnt even considering catamarans, how were you guys able to shift his inquiry into a Cat vs mono debate? Lets try to get back on track.
Post 3 the OP said he's definitely open to Cats.
I reccommend charter both for a week. Some people buy a boat of whatever type and then realize there are inherently bad traits that contribute to not being too happy either anchored or sailing, be it a cat that's noise at anchor,(happens on certain monos too) or a mono that's too roll or too tender, I could go on and on but best to really make a list of expectations, needs, wants, etc and find a vessel that ticks the most important box. Remembering that for many of the cruisers we spend 75% or more of our time anchored, And exploring by dink. Not saying a bad sailing vessel is oK but for the hops your doing many are day trips, only a few overnights, easy to pick good weather etc etc..

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 08:25   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Make the Wife happy, get her an IP, a decent 38 can be had at the top of that price range if an older 38, I doubt you can go newer and bigger and be in that range, my looking range was 100K and three years ago I couldn't. But for us, it is more room than we need. We will use aft stateroom as storage and likely the aft head will hold a washing machine.
They are not light air boats by any stretch, my new Mack 135% Genoa helps, but in truth what makes me rock in light airs is my Autoprop and run the engine at 1,000 RPM, charge batteries and sail at 6 kts in a 6 kt breeze and burn 1 qt an hour, yes of course that isn't sailing, but it works and works well. At 1,000 RPM the motor is not obnoxious like it is at 2500 or so.
I intend to put a fold up swim platform on the stern and maybe a good ladder on the side as it seems the best way to board especially in any decent waves is to the side and not the stern, but as has been said not sure how much diving will be done from the big boat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 08:45   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

Cats are super fine choice for the waters BUT how many sub-100k cats of good quality and clean condition are there around?

I would think even smaller older cats often start at 150k plus.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 08:47   #27

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I intend to put a fold up swim platform on the stern and maybe a good ladder on the side as it seems the best way to board especially in any decent waves is to the side and not the stern, but as has been said not sure how much diving will be done from the big boat.
Agreed, our swim platform is rigid and we will dive fromm the RIB, so a good RIB with the largest OB it can take may be the better dive platform in a lot of cases.

As to the cat mono stuff - let's help him find the Sea Gods versus which religion we may follow. I like both cats and monos, prefer monos as I like their motion at sea, love the condo feeling of a big cat.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 10:21   #28

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

I am also in the process of choosing a retirement boat for the eastern Caribbean. I have spent a lot of time there on many different boats including cats. As mentioned, most time is spent at anchor with lots of getting in and out of the boat to swim or dingy, so nonnegotiable requirements for me include a large cockpit, open transom with integral swim platform and preferably twin helms. This is your waterfront property, make the most of it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 11:26   #29
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Mahina Expeditions - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

The Prout is a decent cat for the price range. I saw a few in FL a month or so ago on YW. Yes, you are going to have to do work your ass off on them to bring them up to shape.

I would rather get a really nice mono for that price - 30-38ft

38-45' monohull, 5' draft or less is going to be tough though for that price.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 12:37   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Cats are super fine choice for the waters BUT how many sub-100k cats of good quality and clean condition are there around?

I would think even smaller older cats often start at 150k plus.

b.
naah.......Times are a changing....

Fountaine Pajot MALDIVES 32 Used Boat for Sale 1991 | TheYachtMarket

Tags
cruising, hull, monohull