Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 13:15   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post

Obviously, their figure of 10,031 deaths can't be reconciled with your number of 69 for 2009. And, as the graphic makes clear, the problem isn't confined to the areas adjacent the US border.

TaoJones
That is a lot of deaths, but it seems to imply that that # is total since Jan 2007 - counting through til now.
Also the graphic next to it seems to indicate that the violence is, not surprisingly, centered around the larger cities . . . do cruisers spend much time in these areas? I thought most stayed along the coast, not traveling inland much, and mostly avoided the larger population centers.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 13:22   #32
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The 10,031 number published by the Los Angeles Times was actually from January 1, 2007 through June 9, 2009, so about two-and-a-half years. I think you're right about major cities having more violent crime in Mexico, as everywhere. The areas more frequented by cruisers are not immune, but the chances of encountering it there are significantly less. That said, Ensenada and Acapulco, just to name a couple of areas cruisers might find themselves, have both been impacted by the drug cartels and their associated violence more than a little bit.

TaoJones
Old 03-05-2010, 14:50   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day all,

I would point out that just as cruisers should and usually do avoid high risk areas in MExico, dirt dwelling US citizens should and do avoid high risk areas in ALL of our major cities. Walking about in Tiajuana or Juarez is not a good idea these days, while walking about in La Paz or Loreto is quite ok (watching out for taxis, etc).

Urban street smarts are a useful skill anywhere in the world!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Church Point, NSW, Oz
Old 03-05-2010, 17:13   #34

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Wait, so what is the limit? 9mm? .357 .38 special ? What about .38 special +P ??

This is confusing.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 17:21   #35
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
This is confusing.
It IS confusing, isn't it. Perhaps from that thought we should draw a few conclusions.

1. Be REALLY careful about doing your homework on what is and isn't allow EXACTLY. If you can't get official CONFIRMED written policy to take in hand with you to deal with the local moron working in customs who actually gets to make the call on your situation. Preferably one with many stamps on it.

2. Do not rely on the information, here or on other similar forums, for final word on this sort of subject. Because even if the person providing the info knows what they are talking about, regulations such as this can change with the wind and you need CURRENT regulations.

3. Always have a back up plan.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 17:21   #36

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
9mm and 45 are reserved for military, police and of course the bad guys. I assume a shotgun is permitted but I am not sure.

It hit the papers today and said it was the customs mistake.. That wont get my attorney fees back and the small crunch in my fiberglass near deck level when their boat hit mine.

Also now they want to find me $500 cause my registration from Panama expired 2 weeks ago when I was sailing..

These people can't get enough blood. Yes I believe you can live peacefully here and probably nothing will happen.. but just let someone accuse you of something and you go to jail... They are talking of changing the judicial system here but I think it might be some time.

Kinda reminds me of the 3rd Reich. Sorry for all the Mexico fans.. I have traveled here no less than 20 times and had no problems. I have no criminal record of any kind.

This is the last time I will visit Mexico even though I am welcome back.

Enough is enough.
Old 03-05-2010, 17:24   #37

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
When I arrive here I was without sleep for 30-35 hours and battled high winds and waves. I was exhausted.

These people were so confused on what to do with me. Mexico honestly is in a very sad state and the people are suffering. Bad government and many corrupt officials.. too many bueracrats cant spell it sorry.
Old 03-05-2010, 22:20   #38
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In a story running in the current New York Times, detailing a mass killing on a soccer field in Acapulco today, the following paragraph puts the death total from the drug violence shockingly high:
Quote:
Disabled people, women, children and students have all figured among recent victims of violence in the drug war, which has killed more than 22,700 people since President Felipe Calderon launched an offensive against cartels in December 2006.
That period covers the last three and a half years.

To read the entire story, go to:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010...xico.html?_r=1

TaoJones
Old 04-05-2010, 06:37   #39

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Isn't that higher than the American casualties in Afghanistan?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:51   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Isn't that higher than the American casualties in Afghanistan?
Much higher.
iCasualties | Operation Enduring Freedom | Afghanistan

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:37   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
June National Geographic has an article about the Mexican drug culture. Mentions "more than 2600 murder victims last year". Also agrees that most violence is around the border but also shows high murder rates several places along the west coast including Culiacan and Acapulco.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 22:07   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
And in the rest of the world...

If I'm not missing something here there are many countries that are favourite cruiser destinations that have higher murder rates than Mexico.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate per year per 100,000 inhabitants.

A quick Google suggests that there is a greater probability of dying in a road accident in Mexico than of being murdered.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 22:59   #43

Boat: Cal 2-46
In United States 43,100 people died 2007 in Traffic related accidents- http://www.nsc.org/news_resources/in...juryFacts.aspx
LuvToSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:12   #44

While some governments are better than others, EVERY government is simply the biggest gang in town. It's always been about power, stealing from people what they've produced, and protection rackets. Those of us who live in the US are better off than many other people around the world, but it's not qualitatively different.

Glad to hear there's a happy ending to this story, but I don't care how nice the weather is, I think it's best to avoid war zones.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:31   #45
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by keelbolts View Post
EVERY government is simply the biggest gang in town. It's always been about power, stealing from people what they've produced, and protection rackets. .
Hmmm anachy is better? Maybe you should book a vacation to Somalia and see what limited government is like

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico