Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2018, 20:29   #76
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 164
Re: Crusing in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Well I wanted to give an update. Getting our haul out soon so I am prepping the trailer. Ended up having to redo almost the entire wiring harness on it and service the brakes. As luck would have it, blew a tire also so will be shopping for a couple fresh ones and use the best take offs for a few extra spares.

I will try to get a few photos soon, but we have been enjoying getting to work on the new hatch (lewmar ocean 60) for the old girl. Anyway, making progress in the rehabilitation.

and since no trip would be complete without more issues our two day old power steering pump was defective. So as I am exiting a freeway off ramp the steering and brakes started to go out. The mechanic told me the two are linked which seems like the worst things to go out in tandem (brakes and steering). Oh well, we didn't wreck and I got the warranty replacement sorted out and tow vehicle is back up and running.
__________________

__________________
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 22:07   #77
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 164
Re: Crusing in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

got the new portlights in today, working on number five up front on the cabin trunk tomorrow. Have the new hatch frame in the works out of mahogany and picked up some new top side paint at west marine a few days ago along with non skid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Because.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	167585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Asked.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	167586  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Me.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	167587  
__________________

__________________
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:40   #78
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York, New York
Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Posts: 605
Re: Crusing in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Although I am single, a friend of mine is married and has two toddlers. One day I as we finished dinner I threw a scrap of food into the water and he pointed out that was a bad idea with toddlers. They are so young that they are not able to differentiate what is all right to throw in and what is not. He did that a few months prior and his promptly threw in a fork. Until they are older and wiser the rule is to throw nothing in!

Congratulations on the boat and good luck with it.
__________________
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 14:43   #79
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 164
Re: Crusing in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Although I am single, a friend of mine is married and has two toddlers. One day I as we finished dinner I threw a scrap of food into the water and he pointed out that was a bad idea with toddlers. They are so young that they are not able to differentiate what is all right to throw in and what is not. He did that a few months prior and his promptly threw in a fork. Until they are older and wiser the rule is to throw nothing in!

Congratulations on the boat and good luck with it.
thanks so much, good advise.
__________________
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 18:23   #80
Registered User
 
hamburking's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston Ont Canada
Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Posts: 2,363
Re: Crusing in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Although I am single, a friend of mine is married and has two toddlers. One day I as we finished dinner I threw a scrap of food into the water and he pointed out that was a bad idea with toddlers. They are so young that they are not able to differentiate what is all right to throw in and what is not. He did that a few months prior and his promptly threw in a fork. Until they are older and wiser the rule is to throw nothing in!
Alert...thread drift...

Kids will turn out pretty much like their parents, regardless of any amount of lecturing, yelling, or punishment. So if you want good kids...all you have to do is...be good yourself. If you want them to be better than you, then just be a better person.

Nuff said.
__________________
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 20:30   #81
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 5,035
Images: 38
Re: Crusing in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Alert...thread drift...

Kids will turn out pretty much like their parents, regardless of any amount of lecturing, yelling, or punishment. So if you want good kids...all you have to do is...be good yourself. If you want them to be better than you, then just be a better person.

Nuff said.
Ah that's too hard. Can't I just yell at them instead?
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 18:26   #82
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 164
Re: Cruising in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Well we got the boat home just fine, took an extra day driving since we were so slow. Slept aboard her one night since I couldn't help myself and we all had fun. Love the head room of the old Columbia since both the wife and I are right at about six foot.

Anyway, got the lewmar 60 hatch in and all the new portlights. Filling wood holes, will start glassing soon and just doing lots of cleaning and getting ready for sanding and painting. Hopefully the sand-able and stainable wood filler we got at Lowes work well.

By the way does anyone suggest any good paint to use on the interior? We were thinking just maybe kitchen and bathroom paint since its resistant to moisture but not entirely sure. So any advice is appreciated.

Also any good suggestions on VERY heavy duty epoxy or glue to use on the floor? Thanks in advance everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0228.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	168163   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0231.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	168165  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0295.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	168166   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0299.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	168167  

__________________
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 21:05   #83
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 5,035
Images: 38
Re: Cruising in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Well we got the boat home just fine, took an extra day driving since we were so slow. Slept aboard her one night since I couldn't help myself and we all had fun. Love the head room of the old Columbia since both the wife and I are right at about six foot.

Anyway, got the lewmar 60 hatch in and all the new portlights. Filling wood holes, will start glassing soon and just doing lots of cleaning and getting ready for sanding and painting. Hopefully the sand-able and stainable wood filler we got at Lowes work well.

By the way does anyone suggest any good paint to use on the interior? We were thinking just maybe kitchen and bathroom paint since its resistant to moisture but not entirely sure. So any advice is appreciated.

Also any good suggestions on VERY heavy duty epoxy or glue to use on the floor? Thanks in advance everyone.
Wow she really looks to be in good shape! Congrats on getting her home and good luck in all the work! Glad they pulled out the massive hoist for you!
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 11:13   #84
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,888
Re: Cruising in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Go with real paint, even Rustoleum etc. But NOT Latex.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 11:31   #85
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Palm Bay, Florida
Boat: Bayliner Discovery 246
Posts: 57
Re: Cruising in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Ok, so I just wanted to get some input from some folks here. No real solid plan but just considering some options and appreciate the advise and input here.

I am 33 and in good shape, my wife is about the same age and we have a 5 year old son and six month old daughter. I only work about six months a year (a couple months at work and a coupe off) and make more than enough to survive on. Not extravagant mind you but under 95k usually.

We have recently acquired a Columbia 29 sailboat. Details of which can be seen here The Columbia 29 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

We will be putting her on a trailer next month and then the refitting process begins. We will be done this summer hopefully and then the fun begins.

So this is where I am asking for your input gang. If you were in my shoes (sandals at the moment) what would you do? Sure I could stay at my house in the mountains and just sail it a few months a year for fun, but we could also go on some trips in the boat. We will surely be limited by the space to provision and live aboard but we are adventurous, am I crazy to think we could do some modest voyaging? Maybe a week at a time, maybe more?

We could step up boat size but were not going to do that, we want to sail the boat we found through fortunate happenstance. Maybe we should call her serendipity? Anyway, traveling modestly with half the belongings we think we need and twice the money where do you all think we could get to?

Let me also add, were going to learn the boat first under the watchful eye of some instructors and lots of days out on the water to learn heavy weather sailing, navigation, etc.. But assuming were capable and fit, intelligent and able-bodied what do you all think?

Were not going to set out next week after taking only a few more boating courses like an unnamed couple in the news lately, just curious about what "might" come should we want to down the road.

I am sure there will be many questions and I look forward to them.
I know I'm late to this thread, but I think you are going to have a great time cruising with the family. My wife and I are your age and we have a 4 year old and a 6 month old, both boys. We have a 25 foot cabin cruiser and have spent a lot of time setting it up for cruising. We do several 2-3 week trips a year on the boat and never feel like we are cramped in. If you are interested in our set up let me know and I can give you some tips on how we have our boat set up for the family.
__________________
3Days_at_a_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 13:13   #86
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 164
Re: Cruising in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Days_at_a_time View Post
I know I'm late to this thread, but I think you are going to have a great time cruising with the family. My wife and I are your age and we have a 4 year old and a 6 month old, both boys. We have a 25 foot cabin cruiser and have spent a lot of time setting it up for cruising. We do several 2-3 week trips a year on the boat and never feel like we are cramped in. If you are interested in our set up let me know and I can give you some tips on how we have our boat set up for the family.
Absolutely would love to hear how you set the boat up.
__________________
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 13:20   #87
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 164
Re: Cruising in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Wow she really looks to be in good shape! Congrats on getting her home and good luck in all the work! Glad they pulled out the massive hoist for you!
Yeah the hoist was surely overkill lol. The guys at the yard once they warmed up were very helpful, will use them again. We are over the moon for her, she is absolutely beautiful and if I get time today I will order the new window gasket and cut for the new windows or maybe just fill the holes in the wood and sand them down.
__________________
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 18:11   #88
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 5,035
Images: 38
Re: Cruising in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

I think it would be great if you bring her back down after she’s all purty and we gather all the other local C29s for a trip out to the local islands or Catalina for a big photo shoot!
__________________
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 19:44   #89
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 164
Re: Cruising in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I think it would be great if you bring her back down after she’s all purty and we gather all the other local C29s for a trip out to the local islands or Catalina for a big photo shoot!
DEAL!
__________________
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 08:38   #90
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Palm Bay, Florida
Boat: Bayliner Discovery 246
Posts: 57
Re: Cruising in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Absolutely would love to hear how you set the boat up.
I've been meaning to start a thread showing our set up. I think it's helpful for people who are wanting to get into cruising but don't have the ability to do it full time so they get scared off.
__________________

__________________
3Days_at_a_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing a Small Boat with a Small Car Sfkjeld General Sailing Forum 35 28-06-2013 15:02
What months are the best months/weather windows to sail from Hawaii to Philippines zUrchin Navigation 48 20-10-2012 16:00
Seven months Cruising and Five Months Working ozmike General Sailing Forum 2 04-05-2011 05:53
Work 6 Months, Sail 6 Months - S-Corp Jcody2121 Boat Ownership & Making a Living 15 16-09-2009 05:43
What is a good size for full time crusing? videorov Multihull Sailboats 1 29-05-2008 14:46



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:20.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.