Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-03-2018, 20:29   #76

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Re: Crusing in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Well I wanted to give an update. Getting our haul out soon so I am prepping the trailer. Ended up having to redo almost the entire wiring harness on it and service the brakes. As luck would have it, blew a tire also so will be shopping for a couple fresh ones and use the best take offs for a few extra spares.

I will try to get a few photos soon, but we have been enjoying getting to work on the new hatch (lewmar ocean 60) for the old girl. Anyway, making progress in the rehabilitation.

and since no trip would be complete without more issues our two day old power steering pump was defective. So as I am exiting a freeway off ramp the steering and brakes started to go out. The mechanic told me the two are linked which seems like the worst things to go out in tandem (brakes and steering). Oh well, we didn't wreck and I got the warranty replacement sorted out and tow vehicle is back up and running.

Old 02-04-2018, 22:07   #77

got the new portlights in today, working on number five up front on the cabin trunk tomorrow. Have the new hatch frame in the works out of mahogany and picked up some new top side paint at west marine a few days ago along with non skid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Because.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	167585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Asked.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	167586  

Name:	Me.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	167587  

Old 03-04-2018, 07:40   #78

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Although I am single, a friend of mine is married and has two toddlers. One day I as we finished dinner I threw a scrap of food into the water and he pointed out that was a bad idea with toddlers. They are so young that they are not able to differentiate what is all right to throw in and what is not. He did that a few months prior and his promptly threw in a fork. Until they are older and wiser the rule is to throw nothing in!

Congratulations on the boat and good luck with it.
Old 03-04-2018, 14:43   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Although I am single, a friend of mine is married and has two toddlers. One day I as we finished dinner I threw a scrap of food into the water and he pointed out that was a bad idea with toddlers. They are so young that they are not able to differentiate what is all right to throw in and what is not. He did that a few months prior and his promptly threw in a fork. Until they are older and wiser the rule is to throw nothing in!

Congratulations on the boat and good luck with it.
thanks so much, good advise.
Old 03-04-2018, 18:23   #80

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Alert...thread drift...

Kids will turn out pretty much like their parents, regardless of any amount of lecturing, yelling, or punishment. So if you want good kids...all you have to do is...be good yourself. If you want them to be better than you, then just be a better person.

Nuff said.
Old 03-04-2018, 20:30   #81

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Alert...thread drift...

Kids will turn out pretty much like their parents, regardless of any amount of lecturing, yelling, or punishment. So if you want good kids...all you have to do is...be good yourself. If you want them to be better than you, then just be a better person.

Nuff said.
Ah that's too hard. Can't I just yell at them instead?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 18:26   #82

Re: Cruising in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Well we got the boat home just fine, took an extra day driving since we were so slow. Slept aboard her one night since I couldn't help myself and we all had fun. Love the head room of the old Columbia since both the wife and I are right at about six foot.

Anyway, got the lewmar 60 hatch in and all the new portlights. Filling wood holes, will start glassing soon and just doing lots of cleaning and getting ready for sanding and painting. Hopefully the sand-able and stainable wood filler we got at Lowes work well.

By the way does anyone suggest any good paint to use on the interior? We were thinking just maybe kitchen and bathroom paint since its resistant to moisture but not entirely sure. So any advice is appreciated.

Also any good suggestions on VERY heavy duty epoxy or glue to use on the floor? Thanks in advance everyone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0228.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	168163   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0231.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	168165  

Name:	DSC_0295.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	168166   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0299.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	168167  

Old 15-04-2018, 21:05   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Well we got the boat home just fine, took an extra day driving since we were so slow. Slept aboard her one night since I couldn't help myself and we all had fun. Love the head room of the old Columbia since both the wife and I are right at about six foot.

Anyway, got the lewmar 60 hatch in and all the new portlights. Filling wood holes, will start glassing soon and just doing lots of cleaning and getting ready for sanding and painting. Hopefully the sand-able and stainable wood filler we got at Lowes work well.

By the way does anyone suggest any good paint to use on the interior? We were thinking just maybe kitchen and bathroom paint since its resistant to moisture but not entirely sure. So any advice is appreciated.

Also any good suggestions on VERY heavy duty epoxy or glue to use on the floor? Thanks in advance everyone.
Wow she really looks to be in good shape! Congrats on getting her home and good luck in all the work! Glad they pulled out the massive hoist for you!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 11:13   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Go with real paint, even Rustoleum etc. But NOT Latex.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 11:31   #85

Boat: Bayliner Discovery 246

Quote:
Ok, so I just wanted to get some input from some folks here. No real solid plan but just considering some options and appreciate the advise and input here.

I am 33 and in good shape, my wife is about the same age and we have a 5 year old son and six month old daughter. I only work about six months a year (a couple months at work and a coupe off) and make more than enough to survive on. Not extravagant mind you but under 95k usually.

We have recently acquired a Columbia 29 sailboat. Details of which can be seen here The Columbia 29 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

We will be putting her on a trailer next month and then the refitting process begins. We will be done this summer hopefully and then the fun begins.

So this is where I am asking for your input gang. If you were in my shoes (sandals at the moment) what would you do? Sure I could stay at my house in the mountains and just sail it a few months a year for fun, but we could also go on some trips in the boat. We will surely be limited by the space to provision and live aboard but we are adventurous, am I crazy to think we could do some modest voyaging? Maybe a week at a time, maybe more?

We could step up boat size but were not going to do that, we want to sail the boat we found through fortunate happenstance. Maybe we should call her serendipity? Anyway, traveling modestly with half the belongings we think we need and twice the money where do you all think we could get to?

Let me also add, were going to learn the boat first under the watchful eye of some instructors and lots of days out on the water to learn heavy weather sailing, navigation, etc.. But assuming were capable and fit, intelligent and able-bodied what do you all think?

Were not going to set out next week after taking only a few more boating courses like an unnamed couple in the news lately, just curious about what "might" come should we want to down the road.

I am sure there will be many questions and I look forward to them.
I know I'm late to this thread, but I think you are going to have a great time cruising with the family. My wife and I are your age and we have a 4 year old and a 6 month old, both boys. We have a 25 foot cabin cruiser and have spent a lot of time setting it up for cruising. We do several 2-3 week trips a year on the boat and never feel like we are cramped in. If you are interested in our set up let me know and I can give you some tips on how we have our boat set up for the family.
Old 16-04-2018, 13:13   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Days_at_a_time View Post
I know I'm late to this thread, but I think you are going to have a great time cruising with the family. My wife and I are your age and we have a 4 year old and a 6 month old, both boys. We have a 25 foot cabin cruiser and have spent a lot of time setting it up for cruising. We do several 2-3 week trips a year on the boat and never feel like we are cramped in. If you are interested in our set up let me know and I can give you some tips on how we have our boat set up for the family.
Absolutely would love to hear how you set the boat up.
Old 16-04-2018, 13:20   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Wow she really looks to be in good shape! Congrats on getting her home and good luck in all the work! Glad they pulled out the massive hoist for you!
Yeah the hoist was surely overkill lol. The guys at the yard once they warmed up were very helpful, will use them again. We are over the moon for her, she is absolutely beautiful and if I get time today I will order the new window gasket and cut for the new windows or maybe just fill the holes in the wood and sand them down.
Old 16-04-2018, 18:11   #88

I think it would be great if you bring her back down after she’s all purty and we gather all the other local C29s for a trip out to the local islands or Catalina for a big photo shoot!
Old 16-04-2018, 19:44   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I think it would be great if you bring her back down after she’s all purty and we gather all the other local C29s for a trip out to the local islands or Catalina for a big photo shoot!
DEAL!
Old 17-04-2018, 08:38   #90

Boat: Bayliner Discovery 246

Quote:
Absolutely would love to hear how you set the boat up.
I've been meaning to start a thread showing our set up. I think it's helpful for people who are wanting to get into cruising but don't have the ability to do it full time so they get scared off.

Tags
boat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: