Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 12:37   #61
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Congrats on the CSY 33 purchase.
I tried to look up specs on Damn Yankee, but she is off YachtWorld already? (Only 1 CSY 33 listed there now, it was 3 a few weeks ago)

At any rate, ya said 47 HP straight shaft? Must be a 4-108 then?

Good luck and hollor if ya got any questions.
Old 06-08-2008, 16:31   #62

Boat: CSY 33 Hull #10 - Sonrae
Send a message via Yahoo to alambertfl
Thanks, I have a lot of work to do on this boat to get it to look half as good as yours. Survey completed today. Many items related to age of boat and don't get me excited. Previous owner to install new refrigeration which is a plus for me. One thing I cannot figure the need for is the boom gallows. I looked at the photos of your boat and noticed you have it too. Dam Yankee (soon to be SONRAE) id #3330100479, is/was owned by Ken Cochran. If there is a record, I think whoever is tracking CSY's on Topica may have it listed. Would this be hull #100? If so, how can that be since there were only, was it 59 manufactured?, or am I reading the ID number incorrectly?
I will probably have lots of questions. Happy to know you are available. I will Hollor. By the way, I think your boat looks great. Wish you would post additional mods, like the seat. Judging from the 2 times I sat in the "seat" with the present setup, it is hard to see over the raised saloon. I will need to do something like you did.
I did look closely at the two other boats before deciding on this one. Both had vee drives and other issues, however, the boat in Marathon did have a new engine. I preferred the direct drive and I am hoping the engine will last. The only thing that came up on the engine survey was a possible loose valve cover gasket. The surveyor basically gave the boat a passing grade with some updates required, like a water separator fuel filter. This will be done immediately upon completion of closing. Sorry to be so wordy, but I am getting excited at the prospect of completing my search for a boat. This has been going on for four months. Sea trial is hopefully going to be Friday, if refrigeration is complete, then close probably next Tuesday. Will keep you posted on progress and thank you in advance for offering to answer questions. I am sure I will need the benefit of your experience with these neat boats.
Sonny
alambertfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:49   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Sonny, the hull number is not as you think it is:

the "33" is for the CSY 33
Hull # is 010
date 04 / 1979

Hull numbers that old don't follow the same as they do now. Hull 10 was not on the list of CSY 33's that was tracked by the owners group. There were only 31 on the list the last time I had a copy. The first hull was in July 1978. I seem to recall only a couple there were know to have been destroyed in hurricanes. So most are probably out there. Hull 9 only turned up a while ago and it was privately owned all this time and they never knew there was a group of owners.

We did not have a boom gallows but our rigging was not original factory rigging. The last 4 hulls were never finished at the factory. 59 left the yard before the number was applied and ours sat in bankruptcy court for 9 years. The very last hulls were done in early 1981 and hulls 5 through 47 were built in 1979 when most all the CSY's were built.

Our seat was raised by the second owner as she was about 5 foot 2 inches tall. She made a frame out of 1 by 6 and remounted the seat so it was raised another 5 inches. We added a new folding step since your feet can't touch the sole in the seat that high. It flipped up so you could stand at the wheel if you felt like it. You can see Rhapsody has another approach for raising the seat too. I liked the seat with a 2 inch closed cell foam cushion added so that added even a bit more. It is pretty comfortable and you pretty much stay put in the seat when it rolls around.

Good luck with your sea trial!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:47   #64

Boat: CSY33
Congratulations on your purchase. I am also refurbing a 33, hull # 18. So I'm happy to share any experiences on giving TLC to aged CSY's. Though I have not yet taken off the chainplates.... In fact I recently took all my "projects" off the boat and put things back together so I could do some actual sailing! (What a concept... boat owners don't actually spend all their time working on them...)

Steve
CSY33 Trekka
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 13:24   #65

CSY 33 Refurb

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your response. No doubt, you and I will communicate often as I have lots to do. To start, all my running rigging needs to be replaced. Deck is crazed with gel coat cracks, so they need fixing and the boat will need to be painted, both inside and out. Interior looks okay, but not great.
The sea trial was good, but noticed the steering cables need to be tightened. Need new fuel lines, racor water separator, updated hose clamps, updated water pump, shower sump, and the list goes on and on.
Does your boat have the boom gallows? I cannot figure out why this is needed since it also has a topping lift. My wife, Nancy Rae and I will be coming to the Chesapeake Bay area next summer, hopefully for the whole summer. I kept a Catalina 30 in Deltaville for nearly 12 years and made lifelong friends there. We still stay in touch. Actually, one of my friends went out sailing, say, two or three weeks ago and saw a CSY 33 out on the bay. Wonder if that could have been you? We plan to base out of Deltaville and sail as much of the bay as we can. Our plan is to be out one to two years minimum and longer if my health and body hold out. At 66, this will probably be my final cruise, so I want it to last as long as possible. We hope we have chosen the right boat. We think we have, however, the projects are many. We will sail it looking like it needs work initially, otherwise it may not leave the dock for a long while. Hopefully, with dialog from you and other members of the forum, the work won't be quite as painful. We will close on Tuesday the 12th and the work will seriously begin. If we can get SONRAE (Damn Yankee) looking anywhere near as good as CSY man's Rhapsody, we will be happy. We will try to post some beginning pictures as soon as I can figure out how. We look forward to seeing photos of your boat as well. Best of luck to you and yours on the continued upgrading and refurbishment of your boat. What is it "they" say, it isn't necessarily the destination, it's the journey. I sincerely hope that is true.

Sonny.......................SON
Nancy Rae.................RAE
= S/V SONRAE
Old 10-08-2008, 13:57   #66

Boom Gallows for safety:
Should the topping lift fail, nobody will get the boom in the head.

See if ya can track down a book called CSY guide to buying a yacht, lots of info and details on the boats in the book.
Old 10-08-2008, 14:14   #67

Speaking of CSY 33s, got 2 of them @ my dock....

Old 10-08-2008, 18:43   #68

Two boat owner now?
Old 31-08-2008, 20:01   #69

Quote:
Two boat owner now?
You can not have two wifes, two Gods or two boats...

The Answer be NO...Renting out dock space to a CSY 33 from Alaska.
Siri and Charlie saw the light and left their boat in Florida..
Old 02-09-2008, 10:14   #70

Dag,
Change of subject. When you replaced your chain plates, did you by chance have the old ones x-rayed to see if they were in fact, bad?
Old 07-09-2008, 14:28   #71

Just a quick update. Emily is hauled out in Washington NC doing some of the little things a 30 year old boat needs.
Water tank: I could not reach all the old caulk, but could reach most of the areas around where it is leaking into the bilge. Getting 5200 back in there is nigh on impossible! The caulk gun is too long, angle wrong etc. It's a mess, but the caulk is in (and all over). I hope it doesn't leak any more. Can't tell until I fill it back up.
Will replace all standing rigging. Bottom paint. A little fiberglass repair in the bottom (minor delamination, don't know what from)
Has some blisters, but not worrisome.
Will put in all new propane hoses and fittings so will finally be able to use the big stove!! Yippee!
Lots of hardware and a hatch or two, and deadlight or four, to rebed.
Have Trinidad SR for the bottom.

Someone unplugged my shore power and my Crosby refrig sys now smells very strongly of an unidentified chemical. Battery power ran low so amperage went up and eventually blew the breaker. Looks like I need some more protection.

I have heard a good reason for a gallows from a very knowledgeable source.
To improve safety while reefing in heavy seas/winds. Sheet it into one of those notches to reef when conditions are rough and it will keep the boom much more stationary when reefing than just sheeting home.
...and if you have a gallows, you really need a topping lift to move it in and out of a notch.
Unfortunately my bimini is tall enough so I can't set the boom in the gallows without wearing the bimini. I'll work on that too, eventually.

By the time I splash I will probably head south, so Chesapeake is not likely in my stars this year.
chienbizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 20:05   #72

Quote:
Dag,
Change of subject. When you replaced your chain plates, did you by chance have the old ones x-rayed to see if they were in fact, bad?
No, it was so much work getting the old chain plates out, and it was quite a bit work putting them back in, so why in the world would anybody go through all that just to x-ray the plates instead of putting brand new ones in and be good for another 20 years.

The cost of the new chainplates, made to order and excact copies of the old ones and made from 316 SS, was $750.00 5 years ago.
Not a big factor on a $50K saiboat, but big on seaworthines scale and big on piece of mind.

Plenty of boats have lost their masts and killed and injured people due to old chainplates with hidden crevice corrosion, no reason to try to stretch the life of old plates to save a few hundred $$..
Old 15-04-2014, 03:12   #73

Re: Cruising boat pricing, CSY 33 in particular

I am original owner of 33 CSY someone later named "Range". Please contact me if you know where she is, etc.
Bitoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 03:43   #74

Re: Cruising boat pricing, CSY 33 in particular

I was original owner of 33"CSY No. 1 Hull. Someone later named her RANGE. She was for sale 2008. I read at this forum that she was neglected! We want to find her...any help? Hull TXY330010778. In 2008 she was in Tarpon Springs, Fl.
Bitoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
csy, csy 33