Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2013, 17:30   #31

Re: Cruising around Hawaii - How mant feet of chain?!

I have read a couple of your other threads. When do you plan on leaving on this adventure?
RonRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 08:09   #32

Boat: CD 26D.

Sooner than later.
Old 18-06-2013, 09:19   #33

nomn, You might consider doing Mexico first. It is a great place to learn, and I enjoyed it much better than Hawaii. As has been stated many times in this thread, Hawaii is some tough cruising. Whatever you do, The Best Of Luck to you.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 10:01   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37

Nomn, you blog links need work

We recently sailed a Vancouver 27 home from Thailand. Took three years. We used all chain for much of the time, but our first year it was 200 feet of chain, 100 feet rope = 300 feet total.

We rarely let out rope, but when we did we made sure that it wasn't enough to touch coral at or near the bottom.

If you are hauling by hand, go with 1/4HT chain. Plenty strong for boat your size.

Don't set three anchors. Go with one -- on rare occasions two when in crowded anchorages where others are doing the same. Your regular anchor should be about 30-35lb. Deltas are cheaper than Rocnas, and do far better typically than CQRs or Bruces in published anchor tests I have seen. Set your anchor well and set an anchor alarm.
Old 19-06-2013, 14:34   #35

Boat: CD 26D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbim View Post
Nomn, you blog links need work

We recently sailed a Vancouver 27 home from Thailand. Took three years. We used all chain for much of the time, but our first year it was 200 feet of chain, 100 feet rope = 300 feet total.

We rarely let out rope, but when we did we made sure that it wasn't enough to touch coral at or near the bottom.

If you are hauling by hand, go with 1/4HT chain. Plenty strong for boat your size.

Don't set three anchors. Go with one -- on rare occasions two when in crowded anchorages where others are doing the same. Your regular anchor should be about 30-35lb. Deltas are cheaper than Rocnas, and do far better typically than CQRs or Bruces in published anchor tests I have seen. Set your anchor well and set an anchor alarm.
Hahaa, lol, I know it does!! Thanks, Ill be amending it before my departure.

Umm, what the heck is this alarm and where can I get one :P

I love you guys.
Old 19-06-2013, 15:15   #36
NTD

Boat: Nautor Swan 46 MK I

An anchor alarm is usually a GPS device which alarms when you have moved outside of a preset circle, usually indicating you are dragging or broken free of your mooring.

I cruised a ranger 23' allover the Pacific Northwest. I went overkill with a 30lb Danforth with 100' of chain and another 100' of rope.

I had a 15lb backup anchor but ended up taking the chain from it and adding it to my big anchor.
I slept GREAT!

Hawaii is pretty much open ocean right up to shore. few safe anchorages. Lots of sharp rock and coral, trades blowing 20+, large waves from storms thousands of miles away.

Like many here have suggested. Mexico first.

Good Luck!
NTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 15:35   #37

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
This is why, on one of the other threads you started recently, folks were cautioning that your boat may not be ideal for your cruising plans. If I recall correctly, you wanted to include an onboard music studio.

Chain might be a bit more important to a cruiser.

Regardless, forget about the three-anchor plan. They'll foul each other rather than working together. A better plan would be to use a decent anchor from the beginning. Look into Fortress, if weight is a concern.

And you'll need a backup anchor and rode to do things right.
I agree with Bash,
I tend to take the side that if you are using more than 1 anchor you dont have a big enough anchor.
Anchors fouling eachother is silly.

I had a 33lb delta for my 26 footer that was amazing on the east coast from the carolinas to the florida keys. I still own it (anchor).
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 15:35   #38

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMN View Post

Umm, what the heck is this alarm and where can I get one :P
Got an iPhone? Anchor alert, drag queen, I'm sure there's others.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 21:14   #39

nomn, In re-reading this thread, I am reminded why I never read the anchoring forum on CF. It seems to bring out the less than polite attitudes towards other peoples techniques, or their choice of gear. In other words it becomes an adolescent pissing match about how good their (big tool) anchor works. I will give you what my own expieriance in a 26 foot cruising boat has been. As I stated in an earlier post. 95% of your anchoring will be swinging to one hook, so you want it to be the best you can fit and handle on your boat. The recommendation for 200 foot of 1/4 inch high test is probably about right for your boat. The choice of anchor is part of the pissing match, in that everybody has what they think is the cats meow. This is one of those real situations where SIZE MATTERS. What ever anchor you decide on, dont believe anything the manufacturers say will work for your boat. GO BIGGER. The issue of using more than one anchor brings out more issues with people. Even though you will swing to one hook most of the time, you really need to have 2 more anchors that can be deployed when needed. Cabo San Lucas is a prime example, if you anchor off of the beach your bow hook is in rather deep water and you need to put out a stern anchor, since everybody else does. If a blow comes up or is expected, or someone anchors a little too close, you row out your third anchor and will sleep better for it. There are also situations where you are in, or expect a blow and put three anchors off of the bow. Having a second or third anchor off of the bow keeps you from swinging so badly that you end up side ways to the wind. putting more strain on your main hook. Swinging side ways is more typical in deeper anchorages than shallow, but puts a lot of strain on your hook. If in the next morning you have to spend 15 minutes untangling line, that is a lot better than the chance of dragging. You will be learning a new vocabulary (sentinels, kellets, snubbers, and a few more). I went on to use these methods in my 37 foot boat and my 44 foot boat. I once had 4 anchors off of the bow and 4 or 5 lines to the mangroves behind me when a hurricane was expected. I didnt drag an inch. At risk of starting a typical anchor forum argument, I will say that people who say you only need one anchor off of the bow , probably drive without using seatbelts. Oh well, so much for my 2 cents worth._____Grant.
Old 19-06-2013, 21:18   #40

Does the I-phone anchor alert work outside of cell phone reception? If not, it is a waste for long distance cruisers.____Another opinion.____Grant.
Old 19-06-2013, 21:23   #41

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Have you spent much time in Hawaii? I've had quite a few friends move there "forever". They all returned to California, including me.
Old 19-06-2013, 21:57   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Does the I-phone anchor alert work outside of cell phone reception? If not, it is a waste for long distance cruisers.____Another opinion.____Grant.
An app like this will use the built-in GPS of the cellphone. I'm not talking about cellular network location services, but an actual GPS receiver. Most recent iPhones, Android phones, etc, will have one. If your phone doesn't have a GPS, it's not going to work. If it does, there's no cell network required. Phone battery life may be an issue, so make sure you manage that appropriately.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 22:03   #43
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
nomn, You might consider doing Mexico first. It is a great place to learn, and I enjoyed it much better than Hawaii.
+1. And a far kinder place to anchor.
Old 19-06-2013, 22:52   #44
NTD

I have a small handheld farming trek. Cost about $70 and has a very good anchor watch. It is my 3rd backup gps. I set anchor alarms on my topside and navstation plotters and sleep with my handheld. I don't sleep much normally but even less when anchored.
Old 19-06-2013, 23:41   #45
NTD

Garmin trek. Grrr spell checkers.

Tags
cruising, hawaii