Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 19:04   #1

Boat: CD 26D.
Cruising around Hawaii - How many feet of chain?!

Hey all, I plan to do some touring of the Hawaiian islands. My plan is to anchor up and head to shore during the day, come back and sleep at night (free hotel). I've got a few decent harbors / anchorages set and ready, but my question is..

What is typically the best type of anchor, weight, and type of chain, weight I should be using under these circumstances?

I was going to be using 3 anchors, just not sure how to hook them all up. Is it one big line of complete chain, like 200' 5/16" and three anchors on the end of that single chain line? Or something more?!
Old 12-06-2013, 23:33   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Cruising around Hawaii - How mant feet of chain?!

The Hawaiian bays I've anchored in (sand or sand/mud) had good anchorage in 20 to 30 feet, so with all chain I would be using 35 ft * 5 = 175 ft. 200 ft would be the minimum to carry. Elsewhere in the Pacific the anchorages can be much deeper, so more chain, or rope-chain would be appropriate.

As for anchoring technique, I really suggest you read some books on the topic. In Hawaii I never set a stern anchor, but elsewhere it is sometimes appropriate.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 11:33   #3

Thanks man. I guess I just have more reading to do.

Would something like this be okay?:[the 13lb option]-

WEST MARINE Traditional Anchor & Rode Packages at West Marine
Old 15-06-2013, 13:15   #4

Boat: Alan Wright, One-off, Kauri Modified full keel 31'

What boat?
Dexterbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 14:40   #5

Cape Dory 26 D, around 5400 displacement..
Old 15-06-2013, 14:49   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMN View Post

Definitely not! You need more chain. 200 feet might do it. Have some backup line rode to go with it in case the anchorages are deeper. You'll be anchoring in sharp rock or rock with barnacles on them in some areas and it will chew through line very quickly.

Yes, read up on anchoring you could do a search here on the forum. There has been a lot of discussion.

kind regards,
Old 16-06-2013, 05:23   #7

Boat: contessa 32

3 anchors every night to deploy and then retrieve while " touring " ???

Not practical nor necessary. As suggested, lots of info (and opinions!) right here on CF.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 05:55   #8

Boat: Able 50

Quote:

13lb is too light. You want something in the 20 - 25lb size bracket.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 11:51   #9

Specifically for Hawaii is CQR decent? Bruce? Danforth? /confused

I know the basics of what these anchors do, I just don't know the terrain, or what the ocean floor will look like. Was hoping some people with cruising experience here can give me a lesson!!!

And I just heard the waves get choppy, so I figured three would be a precaution so I could sleep better without worrying so much. I plan to live off the hook for a while, that's why I'm obsessed with getting a really good anchor.

OH AND what size chain do you recommend - I don't want to sink my tiny boat =], loll! it's overloaded as it is

Any search term ideas, I've been pouring through these forums like it's nobody's business.
Old 16-06-2013, 12:03   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

size 5/16" BBB or 1/4" high tensile hot dipped galvanized chain. You can look in the West Marine Catalog to see what kind of loads they will support. Don't get stainless. Of the 3 anchors you mentioned the Bruce would be my choice. There are others more modern available so do some research.

Do you mean you will be leaving your boat on anchor while you live ashore? Or, do you mean you'll be be living on the hook? Here in Hawaii you cannot just leave your boat anchored somewhere and go away. You'll have the state folks to contend with and they patrol everywhere. Again, do some research. There is a search function on the second line down that gets you a lot of information about Hawaii. I've even mentioned phone numbers there to call if you have questions.
kind regards,
Old 16-06-2013, 12:34   #11

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Nomn, we carry several types of anchors for various bottoms or conditions. Like many, I use a plow type for a primary, a CQR. Others use a delta plow or one of the modern type anchors like rocna, manson or spade. Those are good anchors but out of my price range and I've never had a problem with my CQR dragging. I recommend you read up on anchoring technique here or on the web. Since you plan to do so much anchoring you really want to be a ninja.

5/16 is prolly right for you, but I wonder if you need all that chain that some recommend in the bow of your 6000 lb boat with generous overhangs. I don't run all chain, but we don't have coral here. Since I don't sail the pacific ill defer to others here. Does he really need all that chain or will 50' do it? Paul suggests a combo of chain/line as an option in his post.

If you're on a budget look for a 25 lb CQR. I see them around used. Then I'd have a second 25 lb anchor like a delta or even a Bruce. Each on 50' of 5/16 chain and 200' of 1/2 or 5/8 3 strand nylon. I think 100' of chain is all you really need at the bow of that little
boat, and I'd try to get it as low as possible. You'll want to stow your anchor while at sea, unless you are on shorter inter-island passages. With that weight gear, it will be really easy to move it around but worth thinking about where you will stow them.

I'd also carry a large fortress to disassemble and stow, can be used as a backup or second anchor to set during a storm. Can be rowed out via dink as a second anchor or also as a kedge. This is an aluminium danforth style anchor, very light for its size. They come up for sale used here and elsewhere

That's about what I have on my boat, in addition to a danforth stern anchor and a tiny danforth dink anchor.

Did you buy a cape dory 26? I used to sail a cd30 with a 25 lb CQR. Rode out tropical storms and hurricanes with the CQR and a fortress fx 23.

There's kind of a running joke about all the disparate views on anchors, which can be irritating sometimes. If you can afford a modern type in the 25 lb range by all means get it. check to make sure it fits your anchor roller. Ask 25D owner what anchors fit well at the bow . A new gen anchor could make up for some of your lack of experience, but learning about anchoring is top priority. You can imagine the disappointment of hanging out on an island all day only to come home and find your cheap hotel has disappeared.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 12:51   #12

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Specifically for Hawaii is CQR decent? Bruce? Danforth? /confused

I know the basics of what these anchors do, I just don't know the terrain, or what the ocean floor will look like. Was hoping some people with cruising experience here can give me a lesson!!!

And I just heard the waves get choppy, so I figured three would be a precaution so I could sleep better without worrying so much. I plan to live off the hook for a while, that's why I'm obsessed with getting a really good anchor.

OH AND what size chain do you recommend - I don't want to sink my tiny boat =], loll! it's overloaded as it is

Any search term ideas, I've been pouring through these forums like it's nobody's business.
The bottom you are most likely to encounter is sand so get a Danforth in either 20 or 25lb size with some 1/4" chain and 1/2" rope. Danforths are great in sand.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 13:08   #13

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Nonm,

Nice to hear about your proposed adventure! Go for it! I happened to catch your questions about radar on another thread, and now your anchoring questions. It seems that you are at the beginning of your learning curve. Hope I said that politely. Are you in the Islands now? If so, find some local information. Your blog says you're in Venice. How are you getting to Hawaii? Yes, anchoring is a very good option, but there may be other options including docking and mooring that you might explore. My point is, that in a big adventure, like what you're talking about, there are lots of details to learn. Take your time and enjoy the process, and keep an open mind about your plans. Local knowledge about a place like Hawaii will really help. Keep asking questions, like you're doing on this thread. Hang out at the dock and meet lots of people and learn things from all of them. Even a broken watch is right twice a day!! Sail the heck out of that cool boat (the Cape Dory is a GREAT boat). Dream big, and live large.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 13:12   #14

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I cannot recommend anything but all chain in rocky & coral areas. 3 boats up on the rocks this year in this one anchorage and all 3 were on 50' chain with rope. All 3 had the rope cut by a rock right near the chain. It doesn't matter which anchor you had out when the rode gets cut.
Old 16-06-2013, 13:27   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
This is why, on one of the other threads you started recently, folks were cautioning that your boat may not be ideal for your cruising plans. If I recall correctly, you wanted to include an onboard music studio.

Chain might be a bit more important to a cruiser.

Regardless, forget about the three-anchor plan. They'll foul each other rather than working together. A better plan would be to use a decent anchor from the beginning. Look into Fortress, if weight is a concern.

And you'll need a backup anchor and rode to do things right.

Tags
cruising, hawaii