Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2013, 21:43   #61

Re: Cruising around Hawaii - How mant feet of chain?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The bottom you are most likely to encounter is sand so get a Danforth in either 20 or 25lb size with some 1/4" chain and 1/2" rope. Danforths are great in sand.
I completely agree with this. I had spent 15 yrs anchoring around Oahu, Molokai, and Lanai in various boats. This talk of all chain is new fangled. Not saying it's wrong but I am saying it's not the only way to go, ie even necessary.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 22:53   #62

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
My wife is 1/4th Chinese. You'd barely notice but they're really tuned into that stuff there. They absolutely HATED us because I'm white.
At the auto parts store, I was the last guy in line for however long it took to run out of brown and asian guys.
When a local guy without insurance crashed into our car, the cop wadded up his report and threw it away when he learned that my wife was married to a white guy.
My neighbor's kid, a local guy, got beat up because he scored well on tests.
My friend's kid was always bruised up because he was white.

The majority of the population will steal anything they get their hands on. My boss, my co-workers, my neighbors all stole from me.
Fighting is completely acceptable behavior.
Not a happy place.
Sounds like you were on Oahu. I lived and worked on Da Beeeg Island for 7 years. I always ran into some of the same attitudes. They did like my blonde 42 double D renter however. She was stinking drunk and spun her car out on the hi-way. The cops gave her a front seat drive back to the house and the other officer drove her alcohol stinking car to the house also. I'm wondering what she did for them...
My motorcycle club did food drives, put on local music concerts and toy runs. The locals were all fine about those things we did. But ask them for a favor was a different story.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 06:20   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMN View Post
Cape Dory 26 D, around 5400 displacement..
Nice boat, if you don't have a windlass then you can't use 200' of chain. On my previous 27' 6300 lbs I did quit well with 30' of 5/16" and then rode (more is better). I like a bigger anchor ~25 lbs for that boat. I do suggest having a second anchor and rode. As far as the rode, larger diameter rode damps the load on the anchor.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 09:29   #64

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
I could pull up ship chain I'm such a strong beastie 45 yr old sailor.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 09:47   #65

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
I completely agree with this. I had spent 15 yrs anchoring around Oahu, Molokai, and Lanai in various boats. This talk of all chain is new fangled. Not saying it's wrong but I am saying it's not the only way to go, ie even necessary.
It's a big help if you encounter rock or coral. On the other hand there are huge patches of all sand bottom such as the west coast of Maui or the North coast of Kauai. Thankfully the rocky places are usually too rough to anchor anyway.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 10:32   #66

Boat: Manta 42 MKIV
Re: Cruising around Hawaii - How many feet of chain?!

We cruised through the Hawaiian islands a few years ago on our way back to BC from Mexico. Besides thinking about ground tackle, keep in mind that anchoring can be highly restricted throughout the islands. The harbour masters not only controled their harbours, but the surrounding areas as well and in many cases would not let us anchor if they find out about our plans. We also found that some of the locals were quite adverse to anchoring in their bays and in at least one situation threatened to set us adrift while we slept.

Now, this was about 7 years ago, so things may have changed dramatically.
windwisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 10:50   #67

Boat: CD 26D.

So 1/4" won't break?!!

I know, racism exists. No place is perfect. Freaking wild dockmasters.

Oahu beats the crap out of L.A. imo.
Old 22-06-2013, 11:34   #68

Your boat isn't big enough to break chain
Old 22-06-2013, 12:20   #69

We did experience a chaffed rode from time to time but we never lost an anchor. And now I am wondering how many persons take care to visually check the bottom before they drop? I understand stuff happens but it is not an unanticipated event should one drop anchor onto coral. More like it, it is disregard and lack of consideration. A sand bottom is not too hard to find.

How popular is diving on the anchor...to place and set, to inspect, or to unset when making ready to depart? I am wondering if the perception of diving on the anchor is diving is only for extreme situations. We nearly always dived to the bottom or at least to a depth that allowed a good visual. It was standard procedure. Be kind to the reef, be good stewards.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 12:22   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwisher View Post
We cruised through the Hawaiian islands a few years ago on our way back to BC from Mexico. Besides thinking about ground tackle, keep in mind that anchoring can be highly restricted throughout the islands. The harbour masters not only controled their harbours, but the surrounding areas as well and in many cases would not let us anchor if they find out about our plans. We also found that some of the locals were quite adverse to anchoring in their bays and in at least one situation threatened to set us adrift while we slept.

Now, this was about 7 years ago, so things may have changed dramatically.
Yes...they became worst. While in a sailing club there, the club tried and tried to soften their stance on their ridiculous rules. Which by the way occasionally goes against the grain of Maritime law. We approached the Islands representative to the Governor and were flatly refused any movement. Roy Disney, himself made a lengthy stink about the deplorable conditions of the harbor at Oahu. They barely trickle down a few bucks to prevent the docks from floating away at Ala Wai.
By some experts the Islands have been paralleled to Antigua. They are remote and provide a destination for Mariners. Antigua capitalized on the concept and tailored their harbor to bring in millions of dollars. Hawaii could do the same thing...but oh no...not Hawaii. I know where the problem lies. I was told by my former wife who is Japanese. Many Japanese descendants run the government in Hawaii if almost not all. My wife told me that in Japan, you were generally looked down upon if you lived on a boat. If that is true, it would explain alot.
The Hawaiian Islands should be seen as the diamond of the Pacific. Instead is seen as a dying piece of coal in a Christmas stocking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antigua-race-week.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	63026   Click image for larger version

Name:	plywoodBdock.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	63027  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 23-06-2013, 14:05   #71

Boat: CD 26D.

I meant for living there, not cruising LOL >:P
Old 23-06-2013, 18:27   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Celestial Sailor, at least you posted a photo of the one dock that was still floating. A few years back many had sunk or were condemned. Roy Disney embarrassed DOBOR into fixing up the Ala Wai. He had to go so far as to threaten pulling the TransPac finish out of HNL to get the State to move, however. The Ala Wai is still not ideal but light years ahead of what it was 10 years ago. With better arrangement of slips, feel that they could easily increase the capacity by 50% and improve the appearance with a minimal outlay of money. I'm not holding my breath, however.

Keehi lagoon had two or three of the piers condemned and was down below half it's capacity. The Tsunami from the Japanese earthquake finished many of the piers that were left. Apparently the State has gotten Federal Money cause they have been replacing the piers there. I may be mistaken as I haven't been over there in a couple of years to see the progress but it looked like they were replacing all the piers. Thankyou Japan. The problem with Keehi Lagoon, more so than the conditon of the State Marina, has primarily been the druggies that lived in the Marina or anchored out. They were/are probably 90% Hauole. Heard HNL Police have made an effort to clean out the tweakers and things have improved though don't know if I'd want to leave a boat unattended there.

Funny, my wife is also Chinese. Have been here full time since '77 and on and off from '69 before that. Never have had a problems because I'm a Hauole. Life wasn't easy as trying to make a decent living in a tourist economy is tough everywhere. Still managed to survive, raise our boys successfully and continue to live here. Even though our kids were Hapa, their social set tended to be a bit more Hauole than the ethnic makeup of the community. That had more to do with socio economic and achievement orientation than anything else. Either they kept it quiet, pretty hard to do in this small community, or they never had a racial problem in school. Not that it was all Kumbayah and blending of the various ethnic groups though probably more mixed than the mainland.

Wonder why we've managed to blend in and others haven't??? FWIW, it seems the primary reason that people have left is Grandkids for the older set and better economic opportunities for the younger.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 18:49   #73

Actually, I was looking for more suitable pictures of the Ala Wai but could not find them. I also knew about Keehi and the drug culture there. I'm always amazed that they let the behavior go on for so long. But hey...look at Richardson's Bay over here. They are slooooowly cleaning it up. Still...you look at the Caribbean and then Hawaii. One's got it right...the other?
My son (Happa) lived on Oahu when he was 4-5 years old. He was a sensitive mellow little boy. It seemed like the local kids saw it as a weakness and picked on him a little. Of course they were a few years older. Aren't they always. I'm glad you made a life of it there. I wanted to but my 2nd MCI and no cardiac care (at all) on the Big Island coaxed me to be nearer to 1st world medical facilities.
Old 23-06-2013, 19:01   #74

Can't accept the blend in bit. I found the blending between Chinese, Japanese, Hawaiian, Haole to be zero. They all do their own thing.

I remember there was an old Hawaiian guy at HYC who was a bit aloof. Kevin the bartender said to me " He's OK. He just doesn't talk to Haoles ".

It was either Herbie or Harry. Small and thin. He liked to make the popcorn.

Is Kevin still there ? Boston Southie. Good guy.
Old 24-06-2013, 14:16   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c-m View Post
Nonm,

Nice to hear about your proposed adventure! Go for it! I happened to catch your questions about radar on another thread, and now your anchoring questions. It seems that you are at the beginning of your learning curve. Hope I said that politely. Are you in the Islands now? If so, find some local information. Your blog says you're in Venice. How are you getting to Hawaii? Yes, anchoring is a very good option, but there may be other options including docking and mooring that you might explore. My point is, that in a big adventure, like what you're talking about, there are lots of details to learn. Take your time and enjoy the process, and keep an open mind about your plans. Local knowledge about a place like Hawaii will really help. Keep asking questions, like you're doing on this thread. Hang out at the dock and meet lots of people and learn things from all of them. Even a broken watch is right twice a day!! Sail the heck out of that cool boat (the Cape Dory is a GREAT boat). Dream big, and live large.

I know this is to the original poster but this is fantastic advise and thanks for the well wishing!
Blue Agave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, hawaii