Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-11-2006, 18:51   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Cruising an Excalibur 36 ?

Anyone with opinions on the Excalibur 36 as a cruising vessel?

Kind Regards,

JohnL

Old 20-11-2006, 10:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anyone with Excalibur experience?
JohnL

Old 21-11-2006, 03:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
An owner’s review (December 14, 1998, by Phaon Reid) of the Van de Stadt EXCALIBUR 36:
http://www.sailnet.com/boatchk/showp...hp?product=648

For more details and pictures, see his web site:
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/6076

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 11:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Aloha Gord,
Thanks for the sites. I had found those but was wondering if anyone had the forum might have owned or cruised one. There is a distress sale here in the harbor where and Excalibur that needs TLC is being sold for $15K. I'm always looking at bargain boats until reality clicks in and the wife says I have too many projects.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Old 27-12-2006, 16:26   #5

Excalibur 36

Hi

I believe you've seen my old website - I'm still the proud owner of Avalon of Arne (back in the UK now). If there's anything I can help with, let me know.

All the best,

Phaon
Old 27-12-2006, 19:33   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the offer Phaon.
Regards,
JohnL
Old 14-09-2010, 10:33   #7

Boat: used to own an Excalibur 36
Hi SkiprJohn,
Today after a hard day's work I was feeling nostalgic and googled Excalibur and was directed to your 2006 post ...
If you happen to remember, what was the name of the Excalibur 36 you had spotted at the time?
I owned one for 5 years (1977/82) and sailed it from France to Tahiti (took my time) where it was eventually sold. The name was Galaad (hence the Sir G) Lots of fond memories. Not into sailing anymore though.
Sir G
Old 15-09-2010, 00:23   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Aloha Sir G,
I did pass on buying but after one acquaintance bought it and sailed it for a few years my friend Robert bought it and now I've gone aboard several times. Very well constructed. I'll send you the name when I relearn it.
Do you remember the hull number?
kind regards,
Old 21-09-2010, 02:34   #9

Excalibur

Hi John,
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late reaction.
I do not know the hull number. It must be somewhere though. We moved about ten years ago and a number of boxes have been stored unopened and I haven't had the time to look.
All I remember is the hull was outfitted at the Anne Wever yard in the Netherlands. I kept the yacht's original name Galaad. It was in original condition when we acquired it.
We did a few changes, such as adding an opening deck hatch over the saloon, adding hand rails on the saloon ceiling, converting the top saloon berths into stowage space and converting the reefing system.
The engine was a Volvo MD2 which never gave any trouble.
Last I heard Galaad had changed hands several times and was somewhere in New Caledonia, but that's many years ago.
Old 21-09-2010, 13:58   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My buddy's boat has no hatch over the saloon but does have a Volvo engine. I will pay closer attention next time I go aboard. Her hull is red.
kind regards,
Old 14-04-2011, 01:18   #11
gxd

Re: Cruising an Excalibur 36 ?

It looks as if Galaad is for sale once more: australiawide : boats for sale in Australia

How did you find it performed on your trip from France to Polynesia?
Old 19-04-2011, 14:02   #12

Hi Gxd,
Thank you for the tip. It's nice to see that not only is she still afloat, but she's been cared for lovingly and completely refurbished (pretty much everything has been replaced apparently).
All we had then was a set of sails, a parafin stove, parafin gimballed lamps, a few gallons of diesel, an Aries windvane and a sextant, now it's state of the art ...
I wonder how many owners she's had over the last 30 years.
She's a great yacht, and performed extremely well, especially going to weather, even in very rough conditions. We left France in November, not the best of times for sure, and had a very rough time in Biscaye and along the coast of Portugal (45 kts winds) after a stopover in northern Spain. Things started to get a bit better just before reaching Madeira. We then sailed from the Canary Is. to French Guiana in December (I believe it took us 20 days) then back and forth to the Caribbean and finally through Panama to the Marquesas (32 days) and Tahiti. I remember changing sails on the foredeck, kind of scary, especially being complete newbies, but we had to learn fast.
The Excalibur 36 is a very sturdy yacht indeed, and it's after all not surprising Galaad is still around.
Old 07-06-2011, 17:11   #13

Boat: Baba 30

Aloha,

As it turns out I am the lucky fellow who now owns Sorcha, the Excalibur 36 that skipper John mentioned in a previous post. She now lives in Hilo Hawaii.

I hope to get her seaworthy again and to voyage with her in 2012.

I have a photo of her entitled "Fishing Blonde Reef"
Old 27-12-2011, 09:30   #14

Boat: Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Georges

Hello All,

I own an Excalibur 36 named Pendragon. Bought her in the Netherlands in 2006.

Plan is to join the OSTAR in 2013 and see if I can improve Bill Perkins in "Sherpa Bill" (also an excalibur). He crossed the Atlantic in the OSTAR in 27 days and 11 hrs in 1984.

Last year I got an IRC rating to join in some serious offshore racing. Did the 100 mile Bruine Bank race and then the 1000 mile shorthanded race this year (2011). Three legs from Scheveningen(NL) to Bergen (NO) to Lerwick(Shetlands) and back to Bergen (NO).

We were lying first place on the leaderboard for 36 hours and one of the competitors was a Pogo! We were doing 8.5 knots under Spi at the time. Under the Norwegian coast the wind changed and we lost our advantage. In the third leg we lost our mast. She's in Bergen now in Norway waiting for a new mast. see more on our Blog: http://yacht-pendragon.blogspot.com/ (partly in Dutch but with nice pic's).

In the mean time we're putting the old ship's lines in a digital model and generating VPP or polar diagrams to predict the yacht's speed under different conditions. One of the things it shows is that between 40 and 30 degrees (true) the speed increases dramatically when you bear away towards 40. We want to see if we can use these data to improve her performance close to the wind. This will be the basis for the design of the new sails. Any Excalibur owner interested in these things, just let me know.

Also, I managed to get hold of Tyler shipyard, the builders of the Excalibur. They are now a real estate agency, renting out the old factory space. But they had a page from the production log showing hull nrs. 36/39 (build in 1966) till 36/51 (build in 1970). (Digital copy available)

Like to hear from other Excalibur owners so keep in touch!

Regards,
Georges
Old 27-12-2011, 09:52   #15

Boat: Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Georges
Re: Excalibur 36

Hello Phaon,

Your name now links to a page all in Chinese. Seems it was hijacked. Pity though because I loved to look at the photo's of Avalon. Do you have a new webpage?

Regards,
Georges (Pendragon)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: