Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-10-2010, 21:53   #76

Boat: Able 50
Hey Marge ! Pass me that piece of string willya.

And the tape measure too . . . . . . .

Old 25-10-2010, 23:04   #77

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
how long does it take to get a boat from US to So Pacific on its own hulls? what size is the water tankage in the boat? how much water per person per day on this trip, sans personal hygiene? please, provide us that calculation so that I can size the water tank rather than buy a water maker. Id really like to know how much water that is because I want to make some very long passages in a year or two and would just love to skip the price of the water maker.

thanks, please provide the numbers. I will be absolutely delighted to be proven very wrong.

This is probably a really good question to post as a separate thread maybe in the provisioning section. I have read estimates before and then I have heard heaps of stories about how the tanks were almost bone dry before it rained.

If I had money to spare I would consider getting the base Katadyn Power Survivor, which also works manually. I don’t think this is a gadget as much as a survival tool. The biggest treat I would be using it for is filling my tanks after cockpit showers. Being a surfer and diver it is nice to get out and have a rinse. Otherwise I find showering is a quick way to use up probably the most valuable commoditiy on your boat.

I know others might recommend getting the fully manual model for ditching. Regardless, the way I look at it my boat is my life-raft and I am outfitting it as such.

Old 25-10-2010, 23:11   #78

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
There appear to be two major trains of thought here. Those that trying to escape "civilization" and those that are trying to take it with them (at any cost). The purpose of the forum is to share input from people with different points of view and experience.
I totally agree. The other problem is what do you get in the West when you deconstruct the word “civilisation”. Today maybe a greed driven marketing monster that breeds compulsive narcissists? Who knows? I am just glad we still have some scope for freedom of speech!
Old 25-10-2010, 23:32   #79

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
This is probably a really good question to post as a separate thread maybe in the provisioning section. I have read estimates before and then I have heard heaps of stories about how the tanks were almost bone dry before it rained.

If I had money to spare I would consider getting the base Katadyn Power Survivor, which also works manually. I don’t think this is a gadget as much as a survival tool. The biggest treat I would be using it for is filling my tanks after cockpit showers. Being a surfer and diver it is nice to get out and have a rinse. Otherwise I find showering is a quick way to use up probably the most valuable commoditiy on your boat.

I know others might recommend getting the fully manual model for ditching. Regardless, the way I look at it my boat is my life-raft and I am outfitting it as such.
my point exactly - it's a piece of safety gear. Just in case the boat DOESN'T get any wind, it DOESN'T rain. And yes, Columbus, Tristan Jones, yadda yadda yadda have all made it across the oceans for centuries without. They also did not have EPIRBs, and a host of other things that keep us safe.

It's safety gear. Some folks don't need it for their comfort level - hooray! I'm happy I have an old used one on my boat that I will be trying to recommission next spring.

It's just nice not to have to start a 30 day trip rationing so I don't die of thirst if it doesn't turn out to be a champagne sail trip for me. Oh yeah, I'm real clear that the thing can break down and I damned well better know how to fix it - ME! - not the male counterpart of my team. And I better have the parts to fix it too on board when I make the trip! IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. It requires my attention, not a federal grant to study it. good grief.

The owner of this thread has already said twice, she wants the water maker. and some creature comforts. It's not a sin. Please lighten up. It's her thread!
Old 26-10-2010, 00:54   #80

Lightbulb

Quote:
The owner of this thread has already said twice, she wants the water maker. and some creature comforts. It's not a sin. Please lighten up. It's her thread!
Probably the simplest thing I do is go trekking. Every gram that goes into the back pack is scrutinised and then re-scrutinized. Regardless of the fact is a bit of a masochist wilderness activity, I will still pack a few chocolate bars and a flask of brandy or scotch.

It’s the same on the boat. I don’t need a plasma screen TV and air-conditioning (I don't even have either on land). However, I like to know I have everything onboard to do the trip safely and there is no use punishing myself either?

Admittedly, a few bottles of red and a good book to a kero lantern can be just as comforting as having electricity. I would probably also perish without my cup of tea. Again, each to their own!
Old 26-10-2010, 03:41   #81
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
very long passages in a year or two and would just love to skip the price of the water maker.

thanks, please provide the numbers. I will be absolutely delighted to be proven very wrong.
Well, you don't need a water maker for any of those passages. You only need a watermaker to sat anchored for a long time

The maximum time on passage for you will be 30 days. Thats the 3,200nm run from Galapagos to Marquesas (it took us 21 days).
We had 440 litres of water and arrived with about 100 litres so we had used 340 l aprox (if mammorys serve me).
However if I did the trip NOW I would use far lees. I would only use 150 litres in 20 days. Max. We were still washing the dishes in sinks full of fresh water.

Plumb Salt Water into your kitchen sink (put it in the galley too...) and buy spray bottles and put in all the heads and in the galley.
Use the spray bottles to wash, shower yourself and to rinse dishes etc.

So its not being provided with the numbers, its useing what you have well

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 04:23   #82

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Use the spray bottles to wash, shower yourself and to rinse dishes etc.

So its not being provided with the numbers, its useing what you have well

Mark
Mark... you seriously NEED a watermaker!

Stop wasting time. You know you're gonna to get one eventually.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 05:01   #83

Boat: Peterson 46
Ok, you have to do the homework for your own yacht, your own consumption.

We have 600L diesel(&120L in Jerries), @ 2.8L/hr ; 600L water and a 90L/hr Citor watermaker. Also a 4KVA Kolhler genset which seems to run about 0.5L/hr. An 80W Solar Panel and an 80 alternator. We have 12V fridge and 240V fridgte/freezer setup.

600Ah in AGM's

We can run fairly cheaply. The genset is run 3-4 times per week for an hour each time. This gives us water, full batteries and fridge (&or freezer) if needed. Also any 240V power tools if necessary. We have a washine machine which is used on (occasion)

0.5L/hr from genset is by far, a lot cheaper than more solar or wind generator.

We have a pretty efficient sailboat and can prove daily averages that surprise (or even shock multihulls!) I am definetely not trying to provoke any hull number discussions.

So it is really - each to their own on this one. I do think Times have changed and you need $. Gone are the good old days!
Old 26-10-2010, 05:28   #84
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Mark... you seriously NEED a watermaker!

Stop wasting time. You know you're gonna to get one eventually.
Click Donate CASH to Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 05:36   #85

Quote:

Could I buy you a pizza instead ?

Wait a minute . . . . . . . someone else already did that.

Forget it. I'll put a check in the mail.
Old 26-10-2010, 05:39   #86

Boat: Peterson 46
Quote:
Look, its an 'El No-no' year, just wait for rain
Old 26-10-2010, 06:04   #87

I get that from all the Mexican girls.
Old 26-10-2010, 09:50   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
(if mammorys serve me).
ark
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
Look, its an 'El No-no' year, just wait for rain
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I get that from all the Mexican girls.
Which is to say "mammorys" don't serve you?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 11:18   #89

Boat: Wharram Tangaroa 36ft
I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to the new members that started this thread.

Don't give up on us, we're not all crazy,(twitch, twitch) really!
Old 26-10-2010, 12:34   #90
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'
First Mate,
I don't know how to calculate our per day consumption, it has been way too many years ago. We only used fresh water for drinking. And there were somethings that we used fresh water for cooking, but not many. This day and age, I would be as worried about the shore side quality of water as anything, and I am going to put in a water maker as soon as finances allow. We did catch a lot of water off the sails and deck, and we had scupper plugs at the ready for rain, we also scrubbed the deck daily with salt water. There were times when our skin had fine white crystals everywhere, and usually a squall would come by and refresh us. We probably were on the extreme end of the conservation spectrum, we had no idea how long it was going to take us to get to the Marquesas, or where we might resupply if the first Island did not have good water.

Tags
liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: