Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2011, 23:53   #1

pirate Crossing the Pacific

Do you think it is possible to cross the south pacific safely in a 28 foot morgan out island? From Ca to Fiji with at least a 80% chance of survival in said boat or is that sailboat not strong enough?

Thank you for your time
kcchampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 00:02   #2

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Re: crossing the pacific

79% chance of survival. Sorry, but it was close!

Actually, this discussion might help your thinking about it: Morgan Out Island Structural Integrity? - SailNet Community

Still and all, I'd check the Mahina list, Vigor's list, and Atom's list of good bluewater suggestions.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 00:09   #3

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

kcchampion, welcome to the group.

As you know, to be able to answer your question, one must know the many variables regarding the condition of the boat and you have stated none.

We had friends that island-hopped the Caribbean on the same model boat. They were dismasted on a clear day in 20kts of wind. The cause was the condition of their rigging and nothing to do with where it was. If your proposed boat was in new condition, the answer is of course the boat will survive with a 99% chance.

If you do not know what I am talking about when I say many variables, then your answer is, do not do it until you know what I am talking about.

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 01:00   #4

Boat: Traditional 30

Its most likely you could do it with a 100% chance of survival. But it really depends on many factors

How good is the rig, the sails, the motor etc etc?? its such a long list.
Blue water will require the boat to be in very good condition as far as the rig, sails, engine, electrics etc. One leg will take you a month. And there is no autoclub out there. In other words you cant go to sea with old and tired equipment. None!

One would expect the boat to have new standing rigging, very good sails, Recently serviced raft, updated electronics, overhauled engine blah blah blah. Any cruising book will tell you.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 01:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
....Blue water will require the boat to be in very good condition as far as the rig, sails, engine, electrics etc.....you cant go to sea with old and tired equipment......One would expect the boat to have new standing rigging, very good sails, Recently serviced raft, updated electronics, overhauled engine blah blah blah.
Seriously? Have you seen the boats out there cruising? Get real. Where are you cruising Almost none meet your requirements. For starters there is no worse bunch of sails* than those on the busy cruising boats. Engines and electrics and electronics...hah...in a constant state of disrepair. One might as well go sooner rather than later as no amount of work will make things any more or less work, any more or less fun.

* Except for my own boat, of course
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 04:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, kcchampion.

Personally, I wouldn’t consider an 80% likelihood of success an acceptable risk for such an undertaking.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 05:08   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: crossing the pacific

Yes a 28ftr can do it.... 2 ways to go... spend loadsa dosh and time making everything just so... or.... look your boat over... fix the borderline stuff on the rigging/hull integrity(leaks etc), buy a spare genoa and go.... loads will say your mad and you are... you have to be a little mad to do the trip in the 1st place..
As to having an 80% to 100% chance of making it... man there's some arrogant over confident people here considering whats waiting out there... I'm happy with 50/50....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 05:35   #8

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Seriously? Have you seen the boats out there cruising? Get real. Where are you cruising Almost none meet your requirements. For starters there is no worse bunch of sails* than those on the busy cruising boats. Engines and electrics and electronics...hah...in a constant state of disrepair. One might as well go sooner rather than later as no amount of work will make things any more or less work, any more or less fun.

* Except for my own boat, of course
this guy isnt talking about a coastal cruise- gunkholing from port to port. He is talking a blue water jouney involving at least one month at sea without a stop. Would you go to sea with bad electrics, busted ass diesel, chafed sails, 15 year old standing rigging.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 05:42   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

80% chance of survival??

20% chance of death in one year? So a 5 year circumnavigation your backing yourself to die?

When I did the Pacific I knoted the Pilot Charts generally said Force 4 well we never saw Force 4. Normally it was Force 5 and often Force 6.

So consider being in a 28 footer in Force 5 for 30 days.

Yep, you're right... 80% chance of survival and 100% chance of hating every minute of it.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 07:21   #10

Look up vega1860 on YouTube, they crossed the Pacific on a 27' Albin Vega & posted daily videos. This should give you a very good idea of the challenges involved.
boatgearguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 08:02   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
79% chance of survival. Sorry, but it was close!

Actually, this discussion might help your thinking about it: Morgan Out Island Structural Integrity? - SailNet Community

Still and all, I'd check the Mahina list, Vigor's list, and Atom's list of good bluewater suggestions.

Atom Voyages | Voyages Aboard the Sailboat Atom -* Good Old Boats List - choosing a* small voyaging sailboat
joey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 14:07   #12

Re: Crossing the Pacific

i just looking at get my first sailboat. the one i seen for my price range is a 28 ft morgan out island. i am going to live aboard this boat and just wondering if the hull is strong enough for the big water and if it has enough draft and displacement for said trip. the draft is 3'6" with a displacement of 8000 lbs. any pointers will be very appreciated? i know i have champagne tastes on a beer budget. thank you everyone for the help
kcchampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 14:21   #13

This boat crossed the Pacific safely. You be the judge.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 14:42   #14

Boat: CORBIN 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchampion View Post
i just looking at get my first sailboat. the one i seen for my price range is a 28 ft morgan out island. i am going to live aboard this boat and just wondering if the hull is strong enough for the big water and if it has enough draft and displacement for said trip. the draft is 3'6" with a displacement of 8000 lbs. any pointers will be very appreciated? i know i have champagne tastes on a beer budget. thank you everyone for the help
This boat may indeed make it but< Charley Morgan may say this is a coastal boat, the french will say no off shore. (they do rate boats ). you have the right to try it. your decision.
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 15:40   #15

Thor made it across on this thing:

beowulfborealis is offline   Reply With Quote