Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2013, 19:38   #1

Crossing the gulf sttream this week!

SO what's up?

I have been reading extensive posts for weeks about what is necessary to cross the gulf stream and what to look for. My question now to all of the weather wonks out there is... do we cross from Lauderdale to Bimini on thursday or friday?

Thursday eve doesn't look bad but friday gets a bit of northing and.. we need to be back on monday. are we screwed? should we try it?

As for crew/boat - its a Hunter 40 bareboat and the crew has all been through a squall or two in bays and spent days aboard. I am the cap and just know enough to be better than the crew.

What say you forum? Tell us to tally forth or to scurry home!! (or down the keys)
nbolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 19:58   #2

Re: Crossing the gulf sttream this week!

You've got a pretty decent window; from the current forecast, it looks like you've got fairly moderate east winds (9-14knts), seas 2-3 ft on Thursday and a bit lighter on Friday. You'll be on the wind but hopefully not on the nose. Biggest thing is to know what you'll be facing on the way back (Sunday night?). If it's still east, you'll have a nice ride back. The key thing to remember is that the most dangerous piece of equipment on a boat is a calendar. Cruiser's have destinations, not ETA's. In other words, be smart cap if the weather turns against you, it's better to change your schedule and be safe and have fun. Good luck.
Stardust10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 20:01   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust10 View Post
You've got a pretty decent window; from the current forecast, it looks like you've got fairly moderate east winds (9-14knts), seas 2-3 ft on Thursday and a bit lighter on Friday. You'll be on the wind but hopefully not on the nose. Biggest thing is to know what you'll be facing on the way back (Sunday night?). If it's still east, you'll have a nice ride back. The key thing to remember is that the most dangerous piece of equipment on a boat is a calendar. Cruiser's have destinations, not ETA's. In other words, be smart cap if the weather turns against you, it's better to change your schedule and be safe and have fun. Good luck.

I completely agree. I would not undertake that trip unless I could be flexible about the return. Any weather forecast more tha 48 hours out is unreliable, and sometimes it can change drastically a lot faster than that.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 20:09   #4

Boat: csy 37

too bad you've got to be back by monday. it's going to cost you $300 to check in there. but at least the marinas in bimini are pretty cheap.

and coming back in to lauderdale in bad weather is a whole lot easier than getting in to bimini in bad weather.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 20:10   #5

Thanks for the reply. We are of course flexible and would be ready to turn right around if that looks better. I appreciate the advice. If you see anything changing that could affect our trip please post.

Nathan
nbolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 20:33   #6

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 351, 35'

Going straight from Ft. Lauderdale to Bemini, You are going to be going against the Gulf Stream current. That is going to slow you down significantly. May want to think about going down to Biscayne Bay or better to Largo to jump across the Gulf Stream more with the current.

I made the mistake of going from North Bemini to Largo one time and most of the trip could only make 3 knots. Good luck.
sailrj is offline   Reply With Quote